Pentium OLD NAS SERVER - how to

Hello, I have a old pentium pc lying around, and have a couple of hardrives with almost 750 GB of space.. I'm thinking to convert it as a NAS so to utilize the space avlb as cloud storage... What are some of the free and opensource softwares which i can use to do this kind of thing? I m wishing to have that cpu with NO Monitor so i wish to use it like - Turn ON, nas goes ON, turn off, Nas goes off.. please help.. Thanks!

Hi there,
Most widely used NAS software is FreeNAS by TrueNAS. If redundancy is your concern then you would need multiple harddrive for the same.
single harddrive won't give optimum result for a NAS setup. For setting up the whole thing you will need for direct interface. after setup you can manage it using the browser.
you can checkout youtube videos which will guide you with the setup.

@SnoopyLikesTech if you don't mind me asking, what clients(OS Type) will be accessing the server? If all you need is to share a common folder for all the clients to write, then any GNU/Linux distribution will do, as you can easily setup a NFS/SMB export with editing few lines of text file and can all be done over the SSH without needing any monitor(other than when installing the os). If you want to have more features then you can add them as you see fit.

I dont have anything against Openmediavault/FreeNAS/etc but these provide just a fancy interface while adding an unnecessary security venerability to the martix. So if your requirement is simple, try to keep the system simple(fewer packages, fewer issues). Just my opinion.

Heard of it, this seems good but it doesnt have remote screen management thing, heard from other paid ones... is there a freeware that provides this kind of accessibility? like remotely seeing the Screen output rather than connecting a physical monitor...
Not sure what screen output you are referring to. You have web based and ssh access available. You even have Android apps available.

Why do you need screen access? Once you're NAS is setup, there's nothing to see on the screen. OMV can be manged completely from its Web interface. For all intents and purposes, that is the screen output.

I have recently built my first DIY NAS with my 12yr old Pentium Dual Core E5400 processor. Feel free to shoot any questions my way related to any topic, I've pretty much dedicated my life to get things working on this and figure out it's limitations !

just use unraid, I know it's a paid software but much better than OMV, TrueNas is not going to work as it can only do ZFS and ZFS has ECC memory requirements, without ECC chances of data corruption is very high as its very memory dependent, do you trust your old system enough to put data it on it? I've seen TrueNas lose the entire pool during a power outage without no good options to recover from them, with OMV, I faced nothing but issues, be it related to permissions to setup docker containers or install any of the pre-built add-in/extensions, whatever they are call.
so far Unraid for me has been a no-fuss solution. I can mix and match drives and don't need to have all the drives the same size which is a big bonus over other systems.
I am not sharing my experience from way back either, This is recently around 1 year ago, TrueNAS is great if you have the hardware that supports it, including ECC memory, if not, then Unraid is the better solution than anything else out there.

Back