Laptops Performance issues in new Dell Laptop

ihemant

Recruit
I am facing performance issues on my new dell 15 3559 laptop. It has i5-6200, GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Radeon m15 graphics card. it came with default Ubuntu but I have installed win10 pro on it now.
Any simple copying, or downloading tasks effect the whole system to slow down and lag even trivial video playing. Could this be a driver issue? What should I do to diagnose the issue and solve it?

I guess your laptop is 4 GB RAM, right?

Using official/clean version of Win10 I hope? If you downloaded off shady place, you can expect to have malware included these days.

Check your HDD health running some tool like HDTune.

While copying/downloading/playing video (is this through any browser/torrent?) open task manager and look at the processes which are consuming CPU/RAM resources.

Also, open Event Viewer and see if any errors/warning of interest are in there.[DOUBLEPOST=1468938869][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, any reason why you're using Windows and not sticking to a latest Linux distro? (I'm just curious, don't mean to start a Linux vs. Windows debate here) :D

I guess your laptop is 4 GB RAM, right?

Using official/clean version of Win10 I hope? If you downloaded off shady place, you can expect to have malware included these days.

Check your HDD health running some tool like HDTune.

While copying/downloading/playing video (is this through any browser/torrent?) open task manager and look at the processes which are consuming CPU/RAM resources.

Also, open Event Viewer and see if any errors/warning of interest are in there.[DOUBLEPOST=1468938869][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, any reason why you're using Windows and not sticking to a latest Linux distro? (I'm just curious, don't mean to start a Linux vs. Windows debate here) :D

The Windows is downloaded from the offficial store but is KMSPico activated.Yes, I had checked for any system processes hogging the memory. There aren't any. And no the operations were not on torrent. Moreover, I used a dual boot system previously and meaning to do the same once thedse issues are fixed. I use ubuntu for programming practices only. Practically All my files and media are usually stored on my WIndows.

Can you elaborate what is the "performance issue" you are facing? Are you saying you are downloading/copying some files and at the same time video playback is laggy?

Are you streaming the video or the video is also playing from a file from disk? Could just be normal HDD speed bottleneck.

In Win10 task manager "performance" tab, there along with CPU/network there is also Disk section which shows the read and write speed, maybe your copying/downloading combined with video playback is completely consuming the full speed capacity of the HDD.

Once you narrow down the real cause (assuming it turns out to be HDD) maybe in the near future once you get some spending budget you can replace the HDD with an SSD and enjoy the resulting performance boost :)

Experiencing somewhat similar case on an hp probook 440 g3 - i5-6200U + 8GB.
It almost comes to a standstill when copying files over lan.

System stats weren't abnormal. So hdd must be the cuplrit! ?

If not the HDD, there could be issue like an "IRQ conflict" where the disk and network "links" (IRQ = interrupt request - an old term from DOS days!) are clashing in OS/BIOS config. Unfortunately you'll need to search online for "resolve IRQ conflict" and for system being slow during downloads to see what can be done in the OS and/or BIOS settings.

Back