Phase Wise PC upgrade

bookoon

Disciple
Hi Folks
Its time to indulge on the PC upgrade.
My 2006 AMD PC needs some push. However due to budget constraints (as usual) I am thinking of a three phase upgrade.
So first phase is what I NEED
The Second phase is what I RECOMMEND to myself
The third is the whole hog :yahoo:
This would be bought over a period of few months. Phase one in next month.
Thanks a lot friends.

Q: What is your budget?
15-20K for phase 1, total 40-45K (excluding software)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
a. Processor - 1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 3000+
b. Motherboard -Board: MS-7093 (RS480M2-IL)
c. GPU – On Board (MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series)
d. RAM – 2 x 512MB DDR2
e. Monitor – LCD ViewSonic VE510b (14.9"vis)
f. SMPS – CM extreme power plus 500W (RS500PCARA31)
g. Cabinet – Don’t remember, front cover of the case is half broken :ashamed:
h. HDD – 160GB SATA, 320GB SATA, 1TB external (WD USB 3 compatible)
i. Optical – one 8x DVD writer (Samsung) and one 16X DVD writer (LG). Samsung one is giving trouble.
j. Keyboard/ Mouse – Logitech multimedia desktop (simple one)
k. Speakers – Logitech basic 2.0
l. Sound Card - on board realtek AC'97
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

for Phase 1, I will keep
SMPS, HDDs, ODs, Monitor, Keyboard/mouse, speakers and Cabinet (I am not sure about this – budget dependent)

for Phase 2, I will keep
SMPS, HDDs, ODs (get one more internal 1TB), Monitor, Speakers
For Phase 3, I will keep
SMPS, HDDs, one OD

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Please feel to comment on all components. My computer knowledge is self taught.. :)
ComponentsDescriptionQuestions/ Remarks
ProcessorAMD A8 3870 Quad Core 2.9GHz Processor (AD3870WNGXBOX)Do I need to put extra cooler or cabinet fans?
MotherboardAsus F1A75-M 64GB DDR3Should have loads of USB 3.0 ports and future proof connection options as possible
RAMG.skill Ripjaws (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Desktop RAM (F3-12800CL9S-2GBXL)Do I need to go for 2 X 4GB?
HDDSeagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive (ST1000DM003)
GPUPlease suggest for mid end gaming, if required. (not an immediate concern)
MonitorViewSonic 22inch LED Monitor (VX2253MH)24 incher will be better, if budget permits. Please advice on connector ports of the monitor.
CabinetCooler Master Elite 431Black With Side Panel Window USB 3.0 and Extrenal SATA Docking Station (RC-431P-KWN2)With USB 3.0 ports
PSU/SMPSNot Required (I think), since I have CM500W
Key Board/ MouseMicrosoft Wireless Desktop 2000Need full size mouse please.
ODDSamsung 22X SATA DVDPlease also suggest a decent blue ray writer. (I have a sony PS3)
SpeakersAltec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Mostly Final. I will be adding them phase-wise. I might be looking for a better graphic card and a 5.1 speaker system in future.
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
a. Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai
b. Open to online purchase (last resort if some parts are not available from retail store)
c. Open to TE dealer if the deal is good

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
a. Video encoding/ compression
b. Gaming
c. Browsing
d. Desktop Processing
e. HTPC
f. Download rig, 24x7 operation (low priority)
g. Watching HD movies

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

I always stay away from Intex; everything I have bought from them from smps to camera has bombed. After sales is pathetic. So I will stick with reputed brands and ones with good after sales support, preferably at Navi Mumbai.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Not very high end ones. PS3 is taking care of that. :DBut games are more widely available on net and PC games are much price friendly :bigok:

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Full HD for normal usage/ movies
Decent one for gaming (not very sure about this):unsure:

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Not really as of now. Don’t know too much about it. :(

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Currently Win XP SP3, but will upgrade to Win7x64 home premium ASAP (probably in phase one upgrade itself)

Sir if you're not in hurry of getting the rig then i'd recommend to wait for AMD Trinity to launch,Though here's the rig you'd get-
AMD A8-3850-7.4k OR A8-3870-Currently unavailable online.
Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H-6.5k
Corsair XMS3 2X4GB 1600MHZ-3.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600MHZ-3.5k
Segate 1TB 7200RPM-5.5k
Corsair CX430V2-2.2k[@bookoon I'd suggest you to get a new psu because running a rig on CM Extreme Series PSU is risky.]
Sapphire HD6670-5.3k OR Gigabyte[You can Crossfire this with HD6550IGP for Mid End Gaming.]
Dell ST2220-8.5k
Microsoft MK200 Key/Mouse-0.7k
Altec lansing 2.1 BXR1221-1k
Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-D5100-5.9k
Hope this Helps.:)

@bookoonI suggest you to upgrade your PSU in the phase of GPU, until then your current one can handle the system.
2-3 months down the line the new nvidia line up will stabalize in India then you can choose the appropriate GPU along with PSU that can provide optimum power to the complete system.

I guess you are not going for SLI or crossfire, so even if you want to upgrade your PSU in phase 1 I'd recommend psu on the lines of corsair TX 750 along with the rig suggested by Jacob. It is reliable plus it can handle almost all future GPUs

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the link for mobo,It's Msi A75MA-G55-6.5k-Theitdepot - MSI A75MA-G55 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard
In first phase upgrade the psu and GPU + Case,No need to go for 700W psu as HD6670 could be run on 430W psu.If you want more secure psu then you can go for Seasonic S12ii 430W-2.8k-SeaSonic S12II 430 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
The AMD Trinity got delayed as it was gonna launch in may but it's now delayed to September this year @flash23 you tagged wrong person,My username is Jakob.
Hi Jacob, the gate keeper... don't scare me by addressing me as Sir.. :p

A8-3870 is available from "theitdepot" website Theitdepot - AMD A8 3870 Quad Core 2.9GHz Processor (AD3870WNGXBOX)
When is the trinity going to be launched? Can you advice me on the bulldozer (FX-4100)?...
i know very less on MOBOs.. so any help (link) will be great.

Thanks a lot.

Here's the link for mobo,It's Msi A75MA-G55-6.5k-Theitdepot - MSI A75MA-G55 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard
In first phase upgrade the psu and GPU + Case,No need to go for 700W psu as HD6670 could be run on 430W psu.If you want more secure psu then you can go for Seasonic S12ii 430W-2.8k-SeaSonic S12II 430 430W ATX12V V2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
The AMD Trinity got delayed as it was gonna launch in may but it's now delayed to September this year flash23 you tagged wrong person,My username is Jakob.
@Jakob sorry for the wrong tag.
I think the OP should decide on his target GPU, whether he gets in the first phase or not and depending on it he should buy the appropriate PSU.
A 430W good quality psu can handle 7850, I guess, but no further. If OP thinks that its the absolute he can go for a GPU, then its fine but even then a 500W will be better just to have a sufficient headroom.

Okay my take on the RIG you should get @bookoon --

Intel Core i5 2400 ~10900/-
Intel DH67-BL ~5400/-
Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3500/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB / 1TB ~4000/- OR 5500/-
LG / Samsung DVD drive ~1000/-
AMD HD 7850 2GB ~14500/-
Corsair VX 550W ~4500/-
NZXT Gamma ~2600/-
BenQ E2420HD ~12500/- [24" TN-panel based monitor, with DVI-IN and HDMI-IN] OR Dell ST2220L ~8500/- [22" TN-panel based monitor with VGA-IN, DVI-IN and HDMI-IN]

I leave the rest up to you, what to purchase in which phase. But honestly if you want the system to last for ~4 -->6 years stick with Intel. If you can wait till September OR October for this purpose AMD Trinity might upset things badly enough to warrant your attention.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Thanks to all of you....

I am more of a AMD guy and intel was not in my mind. But I agree that scenario is more in favor to i5. i will have to play with my budget, a bit. Can you please advice me on two things
1. Should i go for the third generation cores from intel?
2. Let me know if I should put in a SSD for my OS. Which one should i go ahead with considering price to performance ratio?

Thanks..

1. Should i go for the third generation cores from intel?
2. Let me know if I should put in a SSD for my OS. Which one should i go ahead with considering price to performance ratio?

Your answers marked in the same serial order as you asked us --
  1. Third generation Intel Core series processors, codenamed "Ivy-Bridge" are out but not available through the retail channels in India, most people are tired of waiting but, if you can hold this purchase till Ivy-Bridge makes an appearance it will definitely better albeit slightly more expensive. But you pay for what you get.
  2. On the topic of SSD's I strongly urge you go for a high capacity drive OR don't buy one at all because it simply is not worth buying an SSD solely as an OS drive. To fully exploit the advantage of having an SSD in your RIG, it must accommodate the applications you use daily plus a few GB's worth of change to make sure the SSD runs at optimum performance. Because the more the SSD gets filled up the more its performance curve tapers off into oblivion vis-á-vis standard hard-drives. Please note you cannot defragment your SSD's either to gain performance. So in light of this you have the following options --

• Corsair Force GT 120GB ~9500/-
  • Intel Series 320 80GB ~9500/-
  • Crucial M4 120GB ~8500/-

In the above only Intel and Corsair are available in India, through Prime ABGB and independent reseller's / retailer's depending on city-to-city. Crucial you will have to import via newegg OR Amazon.com. The warranty and after sales network of Corsair and Intel is also well developed with a good presence across all metros, something which again Crucial cannot offer.

Here are the benchmarks for the above drives [the control is the Intel Series 310 drive]:
Corsair Force GT
Crucial M4

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Thanks a lot for clearing the picture, ALPHA17.

Need to think a bit more on the processor part, like how much really ivy-bridge will make a difference to my applications in comparison to sandy-bridge..this is hitting my budget... (moreover you folks have already thrown my existing CM PSU out of the window).. :2guns:

i checked out the Corsair Force Gt 120GB Theitdepot - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

I might be offline for a few days next week, but please keep those posts coming....
Hope Dark Angel posts new PC configurations in the meantime..

i checked out the Corsair Force Gt 120GB

You can get it via @chiragsthakur, he has helped me once on this count with Prime ABGB for a CPU cooler. Really helpful person and doesn't take offence that I have tagged him all over for this, just don't get in his way during Battlefield 3. :p

So get into touch with him on this count and see if you can save yourself some cash in this dire time.

Any other queries, Stick em UP!!

Hi.. I am back after a well deserved break..
Thanks for your inputs.. Alpha17..

The update from my side is that stretching the budget is not an option anymore.. (blame my "well deserved break")... so i may need to stick with AMD. Can you advice between FX4100 and FX6100. How does FX series stand against the Llano?

• Corsair Force GT 120GB ~9500/-
  • Intel Series 320 80GB ~9500/-
  • Crucial M4 120GB ~8500/-

In the above only Intel and Corsair are available in India, through Prime ABGB and independent reseller's / retailer's depending on city-to-city.

Abhay, it might be a good idea to suggest the Samsung 830 series SSDs henceforth. Prime ABGB has been stocking them for quite some time now and the performance is quite good in comparison to the others you've listed already albeit slightly expensive.

Abhay, it might be a good idea to suggest the Samsung 830 series SSDs henceforth. Prime ABGB has been stocking them for quite some time now and the performance is quite good in comparison to the others you've listed already albeit slightly expensive.

Thanks for the heads up Gannu. I was not aware of the same, recently came to know that Prime is stocking Crucial M4 series so suggested those and the reliable offerings from Corsair.

Samsung 830 series outperform the Corsair and Crucial SSD's decisively. A few benches here --
AnandTech - Bench - SSD
AnandTech - Bench - SSD

Who looks after the RMA, after sales aspect of Samsung. Cheerio!!
The FX6100 should be better with 6 cores.

Llano is a crippled Phenom II.

PS. The Crucial M4 is available in India. Much better option.

You mean modules, right; because they are not fully featured cores.

Actually for STARS architecture the basis is the Athlon II processors [lack of L3 cache if I recall correctly].

Actually just had a look at the benches of the the Samsung 830 vis-a-vis Corsair Force GT and Crucial M4 and it simply puts the latter to shame. Have linked appropriate benches in the post.

Hmmm... thanks, Jarod....
No wonder ALPHA17 is recommending i5 2400...
Btw, have the CPU prices gone up again is last few days?!!.. :scared14:

You mean modules, right; because they are not fully featured cores.

Actually for STARS architecture the basis is the Athlon II processors [lack of L3 cache if I recall correctly].

Actually just had a look at the benches of the the Samsung 830 vis-a-vis Corsair Force GT and Crucial M4 and it simply puts the latter to shame.
No, I mean cores, and even AMD calls them that.
I'm aware they are not full featured cores, but I did not say 3 modules right?

Isn't an Athlon II = crippled Phenom II?

1. 830 is still slower in 4KB block sizes.
2. If benchmarks were the ultimate factor for SSDs, we'd all be buying Sandforce drives.
The 830 firmware is still too new to prove its reliability.

I think budget will have to be increased if I want that upgrade at all!!!!:annoyed:

Talking about ivy bridge.. seems it is available now..Intel Core i5 3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450

got to decide between these four processors. Specs comparisons are in the following link (i5 2400, 2500, 2500K sandy bridge and i5 3450 ivy bridge).. the price of i5 34550 ivy is similar to i5 2500 sandy...
Intel Processors

over to you, experts...

Back