Philips SHP2000 – A Review – The Budget Headphones

The History – Why – What??

Well I was on the hunt for some cheap reliable headphones as my older ones had given up upon me. Budget in my mind was as less as possible, with some clean sound and something that felt long lasting as well.

I had some things in my mind first hand that I was not looking for something very expensive , looking for a wire length of 2 meters and not more as my previous 6 meters long cable died because of all the tangle.

The use of these was going to be purely movies and once in a blue moon of music as I already have the EP-630 for music. For movies the priority was decent amount of isolation from the world outside and comfort that was needed for the long movie hours.

The damage for these headphones was just under 700 bucks which was pretty decent a deal.

[BREAK=Tech - Specs]

The Technical Specifications

[FONT=&quot]Sound[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Acoustic system - Open[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Frequency response - 15 - 22 000 Hz[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Impedance - 32 Ohm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Maximum power input - 500 mW[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sensitivity - 100 dB[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Speaker diameter - 40 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Connectivity[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cable length - 2 m[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finishing of connector - Chrome plated[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Type of cable - OFC[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Accessories[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Adaptor plug - 3.5-6.3 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Packaging Data[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Gross weight - 0.418 kg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tare weight - 0.192 kg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Net weight - 0.226 kg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Length - 196 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Width - 107 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Height - 208 mm

[/FONT][BREAK=The Cans – My Observation]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The Cans – My Observation[/FONT]

The Philips SHP2000 act in as a great pair of headphones for my movies, the sound is crisp, the bass is tight though, but for the movies it’s a great pair of cans. The sound is very clean during the movies, would not be a great pair for music listening especially for the people who are into a lot of rock, but for the everyday use these are a pretty decent pair of plugs.

These are fully cover ear cups are very comfortable on the ears even after long hours of movie watching, in fact I can say that they feel much more comfortable than my EP-630 on long hour usage for my movies.

The headband is adjustable which make it very easy to fit on any head, even without the cushioning on the band of the cans they are very comfortable as they are light and the cups fit in right on to the ears leaving very less for the band to actually do making it a great pair of headphones.

The quality of the wire is also good, they are thick though double wires could have been molded into one, but the thick wires do well, and I hope they won’t cut of like some of my previous thin ones. The chrome plated connector is also pretty decent and does it job well, even comes along with a 6.3mm connector which can be used in my brother guitar and keyboard directly which is pretty nice as an added feature.

The side of the cans is covered with woolen, cotton type of mix material which is very comfortable and seems that would last for quite some time before may be tearing off or any kind of damage to it. The noise isolation provided by these headphones is also decent, not as good as the EP630 but for the price paid and the amount of comfort they offer it’s a great thing at the price, making them a great pair of budget headphones.

The sound of the headphones is pretty natural and I like it during my movies, I find them better than the EP630 for my movies which demand more clarity than bass. The headphones break in pretty soon and sound even better making the sound more natural , closer to my ears. The bass as I said is not great but overall make in a lot of sense for the price.

To put it into simple words I can conclude that these cans provide great amount of portability as they are light, very comfortable on the ears even after long movie hours, the amount of noise isolation provided by these headphones is also very decent, but not as good at the creative plugs. The material and the stuff feels and looks very durable, the quality of the cables is also good and thick which won’t get cut or damaged easily even after rough handling in my opinion. The thing that lacks in these is the quality bass that music lovers might look for when compared to the EP630, its not boomy but is tight , lacks the deep bass effect to simply things.

In the end they don’t cost a bomb, do a very decent job for the price and is something that would last for quite some time.

nice and to the point review ...the best part of the cans is it's price..good for those on a budget !

greenhorn said:
can anyone compare and post how they sound compared to the HP 250 ? They look similar

Never listened to HP2000 so can't really tell the difference but as for HP 2500, here are a few points to note:

1- Build quality is just great

2- Quite ok to wear but not for too long at stretch (an hour or so at one go is fine). Also woolen covered cups are fine in winter but in summer - in Delhi temps hover around 35 degrees - it gets somewhat hot around ears :p

Headband is without cushioning and I don't like it.

3- Yes, sound is natural and I have used a few other headphones in the price range but I like sound of HP 2500. As 200mph noted about HP 2000, HP 2500 is also just a little soft on bass.

Am not much of audiophile so can't go into nitty-gritty but I know one thing that on HP 2500 it just sounds ok. Not too great but ok.

4- Volume is on lower side. I don't know why but at times - specially when hearing Painkiller by Judas Priest :devil2: - I often turn on the full volume (PC+media player+headphone) and able to withstand it. Yes it gets quite loud but I can still cope with it.

In comparison, I can't even think of going beyond 50% volume level on this song with my Creative SBS 370 and my friend's crappy Rs 250 iBall.

5- Overall, I would say HP 2500 is almost a perfect headphone for the general users who have a budget of around Rs 700 (I bought it for around Rs 725, so it doesn't make too much of sense to go for HP 2000 for around 650-around 700) and can manage without a headset

Hope it helps!

PS: Sorry, 200mph for (kinda) hijacking your review but hope you won't mind. I am too lazy to write a proper review so just jumped on the bandwagon :ashamed:

hmm an audiophile :bleh: i can never compete with them atleast :D .heheh, as of now my frend does not have the hp250 at least so cant compare them.

Fantastic headphones these. I used them for nearly a year (and still use them sometimes) until replacing them with a SHP2700.

Very durable and comfortable as well.

dude , I'm not saying the HP 2000 is bland . the HP 250 is. for all i know , they could be entirely different stuff. thats what i want someone who has them both to compare.

PS : anyone who has heard the 250 and the 805 would agree with me :p

lol .... nha nha i never said that, u said they are bland or any thing , and even if they are ROFL hardly matters they sound fine to me :D

Thanks for the link.

Philips should update its website as I can't find SHP5400 on it but is available in Indian markets.

I've had these for about 6 months now.

Earlier they were quite bass shy,but the bass has increased.The only problem is they are a bit low on volume.It is the most comfortable headphone in its price range.

Back