Phone bought off olx locked after original owner did not pay the EMI

rkkaranrk

Skilled
When it comes to Bajaj finance, usually the brunt is on the person who bought the device. For ex. I can order a device for someones behalf, even enter their address or whatever. They will get the product, but the EMI will be deducted from my bank account. Of course the pain starts when you miss a payment / return the product, cuz you get fines / no returns on processing fees.
Indeed its a pain, A friend bought Samsung S22plus off olx which was financed and now the original buyer did not paid the EMI and now the phone is locked he is stuck with a expensive paper weight.

So how does one verify if a phone has a lien like that BEFORE buying?
As far I saw, if the phone already locked.. It does show on the lock screen by which finance service it has been locked with and phone is not usable..

If the emis are paid till the date before it was sold and there are emis remaining.. For samsung finance, there will be an app installed called samsung finance with administrative privilege which cant be uninstalled till the emis are cleared.. For tvs credit service you can check the tvs credit app in the device admin app ( attached image) .. For hdfc and hdb finance its mentioned in the original bill of the phone by which finance service it was financed with..

So key points to check before you buy from Olx is
1. If There are Any app installed with administrative privilege in Device admin app list (For Samsung Finance & TVS Credit Service - These 2 are Nasty..Cant unlock the phone in any way since the app doesn't let you Turn on USB DEBUGGING- My personal Experience)
2. For HDB & HDFC finance you need to check the Bill.. (I think For HDFC & BAJAJ , the buyer don't get affected if the Original buyer doesn't pay emis since there is no app to remote lock the phone) The Main Buyer will be solely responsible not for paying EMI

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,210
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Screenshot_2023-03-06-02-52-14-973_com.whatsapp-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-06-02-52-14-973_com.whatsapp-edit.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,389
Last edited:
Just wondering, can't we flash a factory default rom through adb or something in recovery mode?
I tried for TVS finance..the phone was working.. but the app didn't let me turn on USB DEBUGGING.. After flashing via recovery google asked for the original buyer email to proceed...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-06-11-07-55-137_com.whatsapp-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-06-11-07-55-137_com.whatsapp-edit.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,463
Similar issue was highlighted last year when someone bought a phone on olx. It was a long thread..
Samsung is the worst hit phone in this list so always avoid buying samsungs on olx.
Mi also has issue but only when you flash original rom and it asks for original owners mi credentials.

There are tools to change imei no. without requiring dev options. Just have to boot into fastboot mode.

Similar issue was highlighted last year when someone bought a phone on olx. It was a long thread..
Samsung is the worst hit phone in this list so always avoid buying samsungs on olx.
Mi also has issue but only when you flash original rom and it asks for original owners mi credentials.

There are tools to change imei no. without requiring dev options. Just have to boot into fastboot mode.

Tried Some apps available on xda including the newly modded mi flash tools .. didnt work the on k50i model... Recovery nor the fastboot worked

As far I saw, if the phone already locked.. It does show on the lock screen by which finance service it has been locked with and phone is not usable..

If the emis are paid till the date before it was sold and there are emis remaining.. For samsung finance, there will be an app installed called samsung finance with administrative privilege which cant be uninstalled till the emis are cleared.. For tvs credit service you can check the tvs credit app in the device admin app ( attached image) .. For hdfc and hdb finance its mentioned in the original bill of the phone by which finance service it was financed with..

So key points to check before you buy from Olx is
1. If There are Any app installed with administrative privilege in Device admin app list (For Samsung Finance & TVS Credit Service - These 2 are Nasty..Cant unlock the phone in any way since the app doesn't let you Turn on USB DEBUGGING- My personal Experience)
2. For HDB & HDFC finance you need to check the Bill.. (I think For HDFC & BAJAJ , the buyer don't get affected if the Original buyer doesn't pay emis since there is no app to remote lock the phone) The Main Buyer will be solely responsible not for paying EMI
The assumption in your post is the buyer can see the phone before buying. This means both are in the same city.

What if the buyer cannot see the phone and the seller is in another city?

I suppose you will say not to buy from out of town?

You need powerful tols like this one..

View attachment 162422

These are one stop solutions for everything every brand..
Does it rewrite the imei while bootloader is locked and if the bootloader is locked does it unlock it without debugging?
The assumption in your post is the buyer can see the phone before buying. This means both are in the same city.

What if the buyer cannot see the phone and the seller is in another city?

I suppose you will say not to buy from out of town?
Do you mean Olx or Quikr in this case?

If you're buying something off OLX from a seller in another town, your likelihood of getting scammed is definitely more than 50%. You're buying from someone you don't know, with no external metric to validate the reliability. How do you trust them and pay money before they've shipped?

So I won't say don't buy from outstation sellers, just be aware of the risk and deal accordingly.

Back