Phone for Dad (upgrading from Symian S60v3)

2kool2btrue

Disciple
Phone for Dad (upgrading from Symbian) + Should I sell my Galaxy S2?

Hello everyone! I require a phone for my Dad who's been using a Nokia E52 till now. He's weary of touchscreens so, a user friendly OS would help him rid this fear.
Here's what is required -

1. Q: Budget?
A: ~10K

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: SAMOLED, IPS LCD

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung, Sony, Nokia, LG

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Requires a good camera.. preferred with video calling option but not mandatory.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android or Windows Phone 7.

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wi-Fi

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Browsing, Multimedia, Camera, Social Networking, Mails, Casual Games.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Decent battery life

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Pantech Burst, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Atrix 4G

I've included Windows Phone 7 only because I feel its a little more user friendly than Android. However, with Windows Phone 8, I'm a little skeptical about going in for WP 7 now.
Please Suggest!

Also, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII. Somehow, I'm tempted to sell it off and buy a Sony Xperia S due to the better camera and display resolution. Is this wise? I'll have to pool in an additional 4k to get it from eBay(without manufacturer warranty). I don't want to spend more than 5k.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone? :-S

Do you want to consider the Galaxy Y Pro, android + qwerty might ease your dads fears

A friend is using it and its pretty good can even handle goto meeting/skype on 3g without lag

Also, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII. Somehow, I'm tempted to sell it off and buy a Sony Xperia S due to the better camera and display resolution. Is this wise? I'll have to pool in an additional 4k to get it from eBay(without manufacturer warranty). I don't want to spend more than 5k.
Thanks!

How about the Pantech Burst if you are buying the other handsets minus warranty too. It is a capable phone, meets all your needs (have no idea of its shooter) and comes under your budget.

Pantech Burst review: LTE on a budget - GSMArena.com (it already has been upped to Ice Cream Sandwich)

Don't sell the SAMSUNG SII it is a capable phone and might take you to Key Lime Pie as well.

Wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy 2013 ahead, Cheers!

@OP

Have you considered the iPhone 3GS ? Unless you hate apple to the core, i would say do consider this one as well.
Also ensure that you don't put your preferences for the phone ahead of your dad's. Ask him what he expects. Does he even care about Super AMOLED and all such stuff ?
He probably just wants a functional phone which at least does what his current phone does and something that does not have a steep learning curve.

Do Not Sell Your Samsung Galaxy SII For Xperia S. Its Not Worth It
Xperia S -just better Resolution
Galaxy SII - Super AMOLED

Yu will miss Your Galaxy SII If You sell it and Buy a Xperia S
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

How about the Pantech Burst if you are buying the other handsets minus warranty too. It is a capable phone, meets all your needs (have no idea of its shooter) and comes under your budget.

Pantech Burst review: LTE on a budget - GSMArena.com (it already has been upped to Ice Cream Sandwich)

Don't sell the SAMSUNG SII it is a capable phone and might take you to Key Lime Pie as well.

Wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy 2013 ahead, Cheers!
Yes, i was considering the Pantech Burst from ebay. It comes to Rs. 8574 if I buy it through ishopinternational. Any other place where I may get it cheaper?
Also, I know that Windows Phone 8 is the new kid on the block. With that said, does the Samsung Focus seem to be a bad choice?
Okay, i'll keep the S2 then. Its already running NeatRom JB and the community support is excellent. The only reason I considered the Sony Xperia S was because of its better photos and 720p display.
Thanks for your reply and Happy New Year!

- - - Updated - - -

@OP

Have you considered the iPhone 3GS ? Unless you hate apple to the core, i would say do consider this one as well.
Also ensure that you don't put your preferences for the phone ahead of your dad's. Ask him what he expects. Does he even care about Super AMOLED and all such stuff ?
He probably just wants a functional phone which at least does what his current phone does and something that does not have a steep learning curve.
I do dislike Apple's iPhones but I'm sure my Dad would not though . However, doesn't the 3GS pale in comparison to the likes of Pantech Burst and Samsung Focus? Also, where can I get a 3GS ~10k?
Happy New Year to You and all those who are on this forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want to consider the Galaxy Y Pro, android + qwerty might ease your dads fears

A friend is using it and its pretty good can even handle goto meeting/skype on 3g without lag
I would have but for the same price I think I can get more potent phones. Also, you know, the near future looks full of touchscreens so why not make his adapt to it now itself? ;)

Yes, i was considering the Pantech Burst from ebay. It comes to Rs. 8574 if I buy it through ishopinternational. Any other place where I may get it cheaper?
Also, I know that Windows Phone 8 is the new kid on the block. With that said, does the Samsung Focus seem to be a bad choice?
Okay, i'll keep the S2 then. Its already running NeatRom JB and the community support is excellent. The only reason I considered the Sony Xperia S was because of its better photos and 720p display.
Thanks for your reply and Happy New Year!

I don't think so you will get the Burst any cheaper unless you get a second hand piece here.

About a Windows Phone device, expect to shell out at-least ~15,000/- if you are looking at something like the Nokia Lumia 620 and above (HTC 8S). And I don't see them releasing anytime soon.

I do agree that the 3GS is archaic compared to the current crop of Android's and is positively anaemic in certain departments but with the iOS treatmen, it runs smooth (relatively speaking, SARCASM).

I don't think so you will get the Burst any cheaper unless you get a second hand piece here.

About a Windows Phone device, expect to shell out at-least ~15,000/- if you are looking at something like the Nokia Lumia 620 and above (HTC 8S). And I don't see them releasing anytime soon.

I do agree that the 3GS is archaic compared to the current crop of Android's and is positively anaemic in certain departments but with the iOS treatmen, it runs smooth (relatively speaking, SARCASM).
Okay I'm getting a Pantech Burst from iBhejo for Rs. 8235 though it is RED whereas the Black one will cost Rs. 8735 (after applying discount coupons). On eBay both colours cost the same $134.99)(from phonestoreusa) and so, with ishopinternational the price comes to Rs. 8574. Is it safer to buy it from iBhejo since they have a 30 day paisaguard guarantee(if that's of any use).
I'm thinking of getting a Black colour because I don't think my Dad would appreciate a Red phone.

Okay I'm getting a Pantech Burst from iBhejo for Rs. 8235 though it is RED whereas the Black one will cost Rs. 8735 (after applying discount coupons). On eBay both colours cost the same $134.99)(from phonestoreusa) and so, with ishopinternational the price comes to Rs. 8574. Is it safer to buy it from iBhejo since they have a 30 day paisaguard guarantee(if that's of any use).
I'm thinking of getting a Black colour because I don't think my Dad would appreciate a Red phone.

^^ Hmmm... Why don't you head down to the Pantech Burst thread and read up a little before making the call. Also they can share with you their shopping experience and veracity of the retailers in question.

^^ Hmmm... Why don't you head down to the Pantech Burst thread and read up a little before making the call. Also they can share with you their shopping experience and veracity of the retailers in question.
Does it make sense to buy a Samsung Focus S(windows phone 7 )now in lieu of the Burst? I'm getting a good price for it. Please suggest.

Does it make sense to buy a Samsung Focus S(windows phone 7 )now in lieu of the Burst? I'm getting a good price for it. Please suggest.

If it fulfils your fathers needs why not.

I don't see you father digging too deep into the Application list of any OS.

Just one thing, does the Focus have a front facing camera OR no?

Though it's out of stock at most places, have you considered the Micromax A110? I got this for my dad. He was using Nokia E63 before this and now loves this phone.

The low resolution on the big screen makes reading text easy without his glasses. IPS display is absolutely gorgeous. Handles skype, whatsapp, gmail, gtalk etc running in the background with ease. Fits easily in the hand and very light, so doesn't feel heavy in the pocket. Very VFM phone.

Back