Windows Photo file renaming software

prime

Skilled
I need a Photo file renaming software.

When we go on a vacation, we have multiple mobiles and DSLR/Digicam with different file naming/numbering.

If we put all those pics in a folder and play slideshow, it plays according to filename, first it will play all files of mobile1, then DSLR, then mobile2, etc.

I need a software that reads EXIF information and rename all files according to date and time of all files irrespective of source.

Any help?

Best way i have found dealing with files is to use linux and bash-fu.
On windows just install ubuntu subsystem and do it.
Jhead in linux reads the exif data so you can simply script it to do.
The below article shows how but basically the idea is to parse exif data and use the values to rename files.

You can also use exiftool instead.

Last edited:
You can use Bulk Rename Utility. If all the devices have correct modified date for file you can replace the file name with date modified.

You can also read EXIF data to rename

Before starting, from the menu bar make sure that "Renaming Options / ID3/Exif Data.. / Extract Exif Data (Photos)" is checked.

Auto Date (8)
Mode: Prefix
Type: Taken (Original)
Fmt: Custom
Custom: %Y%m%d

Ref: https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3620

I use some batchrenamer. Simple no nonsense tool and freeware.
I have it on my desktop and I'm out of my town with laptop right now so can help with the exact name..

GIMP has batch processing tool to change resolution, colour, name, format etc for a group of files.

(Its a guide for linux but GUI should be similar)

Can do batch rename in windows too.

Thank you everyone. :)

I tried AmoK Exif Sorter and it worked fine. Thanks @jsmithe

I tried NamExif and it works even better. Thanks @bhuvi

Other apps/sw may be working fine but I didn't need to try those. Thanks again.

Last edited:
do any of the mentioned softwares here, or any other, also has the capability to rename/number the photo-vid files according to the name of the folder they are in? for eg, i like to categorize photos taken in a day or outing, into locations or events (for ease of sorting & later reference)...like, photos taken at location A, i'll make a subfolder, name it as 'location A', and put photos taken at that location into this subfolder. likewise for other photos. so, does a ware have this ability to automatically rename these files as, say, 'location A_01', 'location A_02', etc.?

do any of the mentioned softwares here, or any other, also has the capability to rename/number the photo-vid files according to the name of the folder they are in? for eg, i like to categorize photos taken in a day or outing, into locations or events (for ease of sorting & later reference)...like, photos taken at location A, i'll make a subfolder, name it as 'location A', and put photos taken at that location into this subfolder. likewise for other photos. so, does a ware have this ability to automatically rename these files as, say, 'location A_01', 'location A_02', etc.?
Picasa does have this feature of moving the files to a new folder structure based on location/date/tags.

try this

In BRU browse to the main directory that the folders are in and select the following options.

Filters (12)
Subfolders

Append Folder Name (9)
Name: Prefix
Sep: - (space-space)
Levels: 1 (or whatever level your folders go to)

Select the files you want to rename, check everything is as you want then rename.

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3398

Faststone Image viewer is easy & does have some options for customizing naming of the files during import.

Picasa does have this feature of moving the files to a new folder structure based on location/date/tags.

thanks. how are you?!
can picasa automatically also rename files as per the folder-name then?

thanks a lot. i've used BRU long ago. will try this method too.

Faststone Image viewer is easy & does have some options for customizing naming of the files during import.

thanks. have been using faststone's photo resizer since long time. will check image viewer as well.

thanks. how are you?!
can picasa automatically also rename files as per the folder-name then?
I'm doing good. How are you?
It's been ages right :)

From memory, I think Picasa does rename files as well.
Actually, if you set the folders to scan and keep adding files to those folders, Picasa auto sorts them as per the existing rules you set up.
But it's been a while since I've used this, need to try it out and see.

Back