PiHole should be a must

When the actual internet is down, because of the pi hole, all devices still see they are connected to the internet.

Usually, without pi hole, my devices when they see wifi doesn't have internet anymore, they disconnect from wifi. That's not happening anymore.

Is there a way to correct that?

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
hello all,

this is the first time am reading about pi-hole seriously and about its comparison with its alternatives like adguard, pfsense, nextdns etc. thinking to attempt setting it up. have a query about it -- i have an old tp-link wdr3600 router, a pogoplug pro, a seagate gfh, an intel nuc (setup as a logitech media-server), and a synology ds916+ nas; all lying uselessly and catching dust. i intend to revive them into duty one-by-one as-and-when time allows (had an rpi3 too earlier but which i sold off). the nature of my work is such that i am frequently away from home, travelling, for sometimes prolonged periods. hence most attempts and things dont see the 'light of the day', so to speak. yet i am always enthusiastic about putting my devices to good use whenever i could devote some time to them.

recently i was thinking to deploy the old router as a repeater in the home-network now. it has ddwrt on it. should i look into setting-up pi-hole on the router? or any of the other devices i mentioned above would be more suitable? pls advise..

thanks.

kuduku

Skilled
hello all,

this is the first time am reading about pi-hole seriously and about its comparison with its alternatives like adguard, pfsense, nextdns etc. thinking to attempt setting it up. have a query about it -- i have an old tp-link wdr3600 router, a pogoplug pro, a seagate gfh, an intel nuc (setup as a logitech media-server), and a synology ds916+ nas; all lying uselessly and catching dust. i intend to revive them into duty one-by-one as-and-when time allows (had an rpi3 too earlier but which i sold off). the nature of my work is such that i am frequently away from home, travelling, for sometimes prolonged periods. hence most attempts and things dont see the 'light of the day', so to speak. yet i am always enthusiastic about putting my devices to good use whenever i could devote some time to them.

recently i was thinking to deploy the old router as a repeater in the home-network now. it has ddwrt on it. should i look into setting-up pi-hole on the router? or any of the other devices i mentioned above would be more suitable? pls advise..

thanks.
NUC as already always on
then PogoPlug pro as priority 2 in that list

ibose

Patron
hello all,

thanks.
If you need simple ad blocking, just go with your current router if it supports it. Otherwise go with the device which is the simplest to set up for any adblock solution and needs least power to run 24 x 7. Offload the rest of the stuff in the TE Mktplace.
Also if you are really looking at Pi Hole, do check the platforms it supports -
The NUC and NAS will support it. I am not sure about the rest.

gwrench2000

Disciple
hello all,

thanks.
The + series of Synology is usually the better hardware which certainly make the pogo and goflex home redundant. IMHO keep the synology for storage and the NUC, sell the pogo gfh and the wdr3600 (if you dont need additional wifi). Use the NUC with proxmox for pihole + xpenology . You can configure rsync from xpenology to the ds916+