User Guides Pimp Your Pinnacle PCTV

This article is intended for Users of the pinnacle PCTV hardware , and the second part is relevant only to pinnacle PCTV vision users (PCTV pro/stereo/plus)
To edit the keymaps in your remote, navigate to \Program Files\Pinnacle\PCTV Stereo\Remote
and open the profiles.ini in notepad

first there will be a
Code:
[default]
section, but the keys there are commented out ( i think :D )
then
Code:
; hardware ID:
HWID=0
this may vary and may be different for those with IR receivers that plug into the PCI card, not a serial port. Add the definitions there,
First off ,how to run programs from a button

you can already see the commands for tv, radio, teletext marked there. We don't have teletext here, so i changed the teletext key(41) to start foobar
Code:
key41=EXEC f:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe
you can make any key start any program :)

then, a simple way to assign hotkeys to your pctv remote

just add (for example )

Code:
key62=KEYBOARD CTRL+ALT+t+^t+^ALT+^CTRL

this will map CTRL+ALT+T to the down arrow button in your remote. If you want it to work continuously (for ex smooth scroll for volume etc,) add the same command for key(n+64) ie

Code:
key126=KEYBOARD CTRL+ALT+t+^t+^ALT+^CTRL

this will repeatedly cause CTRL+ALT+T to be pressed when you're holding the down arrow

similarly, map other hotkeys to the other buttons you want (play pause vol etc ....). the button numbers are given in a pdf file in the same folder as the profiles.ini file

NOTE: everything is case specific, and remember to add the ^ command for every command you give else that key will stay pressed
for ex, in key126=KEYBOARD CTRL+ALT+t+^t+^ALT+^CTRL

CTRL= depress CTRL key
ALT= depress ALT key
t= depress 't' key
^t= release 't' key
^ALT= release ALT key
^CTRL= release CTRL key

however , there may be cases where you want a key to stay pressed. I've set my channel switch buttons to do alt-tab
Code:
key23=KEYBOARD ALT+TAB
key28=KEYBOARD ^ALT

the channel up button works as the program switcher, and down button causes alt lock to be released
now that you have configured the remote, time to make them do something!
Ill show screenshots for three players that i use.
map the hotkeys that you just made to the functions you want here

Winamp

mplayerc

foobar

The key maps ( and a more detailed guide ) are given in the last pages of the remote.pdf file in Program Files\Pinnacle\PCTV Stereo\Remote

Have fun with the remote!.
Now for the skins !
[BREAK=Skins]
Now some fun for pinnacle pctv vision users.If you feel bored with the stock skin that comes with it , you might be interested in some of these.

Bluemediavision

Rottens blue

vega
All you have to do is , save these zip files to a folder, press CTRL+B when your PCTV is running in TV mode (without the controls , like in the winxp blue screenshot) and choose that folder as the skin folder...
Btw, i got these skins (and some more) from the pinnacle fanboard It's all in german, plus they havent added any skins since 2005, so i wouldnt bother going over there..joining there was a story worth telling in itself :lol:
Have fun :D

Attachments

• BlueMediaVision3.x.zip
    178.1 KB · Views: 315
  • vega preview.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 250
  • rottens blue.zip
    71.9 KB · Views: 254
nice. dint know that skins existed for this. just tried it & its great.

also wanted to know when u capture stuff in your pctv does it hang sometime meaning gives a blue screen & pc restarts. also anyway to record divx at a higher resolution on this like 580 x 384 or maybe 720 x 480

stormblast said:
also wanted to know when u capture stuff in your pctv does it hang sometime meaning gives a blue screen & pc restarts. also anyway to record divx at a higher resolution on this like 580 x 384 or maybe 720 x 480

it used to when i had my nforce v5.10 SMbus and GART drivers installed i changed to the ones that came with my mobo cd and all was well. also, capture works fine only with vision 5.70 and that too with the motherboard acellerator utility that comes with the PCTV cd disabled . if i install that , or upgrade to ahigher version of pctv visio, the video and audio begin to lag.

about Divx, i dont think so... i record to 720x576 in Mpeg 2 and then encode to Xvid using Virtualdub :)

recording in mpeg 2 is disabled in 5.90 and upwards :lol: it asks for a key :tongue:

@KK... THX :)

f you have lost your serial number or it was not provided with your delivery, you can use the following default serial numbers for installation.

The serial numbers of the PCTV PRO/STEREO/USB2 only help us to differentiate between each hardware platform.

There are no unique serial numbers for each card, only one number for the whole product line.

PCTV Stereo:

BAAAG-AARGI-VTCAK-BZTSA-AAACA

PCTV Pro:

BAAAG-AASLY-HKLKH-IPPNA-AAADA

From Pinnacle FAQ... wonder if it helps activate the mpeg 2 in version 5.9
I have 5.7... doesnt have that prob :p

seems i need to spread some rep around before giving it to Greenhorn again..nice guide mate!

oh, and sinceyou seem to have played arnd quite a bit with ur TV card, how about a guide on 3rd party pvr apps

superczar said:
how about a guide on 3rd party pvr apps

Actually, havent tried much...dont record a lot :ashamed: mostly looked around at free third party viewers, and most of them suck :bleh:

the only one worth was the tv input plugin for winamp one of my friends had trouble running PCTV vision on his 128 MB PIV 1.7G. winamp with the input plugin ran smooth :)

press CTRL+B when vision is running.

clipboard01al3.jpg

hope this pic is helpful.

you need pctv vision for the skins.

vision comes with older (pctv pro, stereo etc) cards, not with the newer ones

Back