Planning for new mobile - up to 22K

shashank_r_t

Disciple
Hey guys,

I am planning to buy a new mobile and will replace present motorola defy (going to DAD)

Budget Max up to 22K

Current options:
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 - 21K
Nexus S - 19K
Atrix 4G - 22K (ebay India) or 19K if directly imported

Requirements -
4 inch screen (absolutely required)
5Mp or 8 Mp camera
1ghz proc with better graphics (should be able to play latest games)
Preferably 1GB ram (but 512 will do)
Quality of screen (Fine with LCd.. but AMoled preferred)

Please suggest guys...
was in favour of Atrix 4G (but import and warranty is an issue) or Galxy S I9000 (but no camera flash and gyro thingy is downer)

How importtant is the gyrometer..?

Gyroscope is mainly used for games. Apple Iphone 4 is the other one that comes with it. Now looking at your list and also your doubt of warranty, I would recommend Nexus S. But it is not a bad recommendation. It is always risky to own phones without warranty regardless of its reputation. Nexus S is a good choice due to gyro, flash, NFC chip, fast updates etc.

Nexus S
4 inch screen (absolutely required) - Check
5Mp or 8 Mp camera - Check
1ghz proc with better graphics (should be able to play latest games) - Check
Preferably 1GB ram (but 512 will do) - Check
Quality of screen (Fine with LCd.. but AMoled preferred) - Double Check

So Nexus S meets all of your requirements (all three meets BTW) and is the cheapest of the lot, then why haven't you decided yet?

How important is gyrometer?
If you play a lot of games with that device, espcially First Person Shooter kind of games, the gyrometer is kind of "must". Cause playing a game with three controllers (shooting, camera and movement) on a touch screen with all three controllers being a touch controller, gives a bit of headache to play the game. But with the "camera angle" controller removed in touch and replaced with gyro, it's a lot enjoyable to play the game on your touch device.

BTW, all three might get the next OS update. (Nexus S - official, Galaxy S - Cyanogen, Motorola - Official/Cyanogen)

@aradhakr84 -- thanks for the explanation...

@emmarbee -- thanks for the info.. Nexus S was my first choice but then it dosnt have expandable memebory and is somewhat fragile and hence had to choose between Galaxy S and Atrix.

Checking out if its possible for me to get Atrix 4G.. or else its Nexus S all the way :)

Any other websites thru which I can order Atrix and Nexus S deals if any?

Atrix - Can be bought from Ebay or here in Techenclave ;) If you look around ebay, you can get atrix for the best price. Unfortunately since it is not available here, you cannot buy from any official website.

Nexus S - Super Amoled can be bought from Ebay or here in Techenclave. For SuperLCD version, you can buy it officially (With warranty) cheaper at Letsbuy.com or flipkart.com for 18k. In stores they are selling for 26k.

As "shashank_r_t" mentioned why not have a look at G2X. It is also a US model like Atrix with dual core and same features. Only thing is Atrix has 1gb RAM and G2X has 512mb RAM. I have a G2X and can say it is a good device. You can get that for even 15 to 17k from ebay. For the price it is worth it.

Also one last thing I would recommend is Spice Mi-410 (13k brand new) which has such great hardware and decent multimedia capabilities. It is an Huawei X6 with spice branding, so an OEM device. It is being released across other countries under different branding, so support and mods will be there. Went to look at it at Spice hotspot. Very solidly built and looks like a premium model. Hardware: 1ghz msm 8255, adrenos 205, 512mb ram, 5mp camera with led flash, froyo with gingerbread coming soon, front facing camera. These features are seen in Desire HD/Desire S which costs close 25k and 23k respectively.

Even if you invest for 13k now with warranty, you can wait for better releases down the road. I believe lot of dual cores will flood the market and the price will go down in the near future. You will also get choices.

Just my 2 cents.

shashank_r_t said:
@aradhakr84 -- thanks for the explanation...

@emmarbee -- thanks for the info.. Nexus S was my first choice but then it dosnt have expandable memebory and is somewhat fragile and hence had to choose between Galaxy S and Atrix.

Checking out if its possible for me to get Atrix 4G.. or else its Nexus S all the way :)

Any other websites thru which I can order Atrix and Nexus S deals if any?

If you are planning to load custom ROMs etc (which is essential for droids to perform better), you better get a phone that has warranty coverage and good ROM support like these:
1. Nexus S (not the AMOLED version imported from other countries, i mean the one sold in India through official channels)

2. Desire S

3. Defy

Back