Storage Solutions Planning to buy an external SSD

My laptop came with a 500 GB SSD. I think I will soon run out of space. I was actively considering buying an internal SSD. But not confident enough to replace it myself. I am also worried that it will end up breaking the warranty,

Do you think an external 500 GB SSD will be a good choice? Which brand should I choose? Is there any sale coming soon on Flipkart which I can make use of?

My laptop came with a 500 GB SSD. I think I will soon run out of space. I was actively considering buying an internal SSD. But not confident enough to replace it myself. I am also worried that it will end up breaking the warranty,

Do you think an external 500 GB SSD will be a good choice? Which brand should I choose? Is there any sale coming soon on Flipkart which I can make use of?
There was a deal on an internal nvme 500 gb ssd on amazon for 3.6k. I don't know if it is good though. Deal:https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07J2WBKXF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1
But just in case you want advice on this, @napstersquest @psyph3r may be able to help you out.
Edit: also, @fastapifastdisks , but they have already taken interest in helping you out :)

There was a deal on an internal nvme 500 gb ssd on amazon for 3.6k. I don't know if it is good though. Deal:https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07J2WBKXF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1
But just in case you want advice on this, @napstersquest @psyph3r may be able to help you out.
Edit: also, @fastapifastdisks , but they have already taken interest in helping you out :)
this ssd is qlc based so over time speed will reduce but for 3.6k and a 5 year warranty imo paisa vasool.

I had my eyes on the sn550, in ssd tier sheet it has no dram, has TLC and 96 layers. Does this make it a good candidate for OS stuff?

SN550 user here since last 10 months, got the 500GB one for OS.
Good drive for the money but WD silently pulled off a Kingston move a few months back so I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

SN550 user here since last 10 months, got the 500GB one for OS.
Good drive for the money but WD silently pulled off a Kingston move a few months back so I wouldn't recommend it anymore.

the ssd in my laptop has this bait and switch,large file transfers have a significant speed drop,the drive is from wd only buy a oem grade black nvme drive.

the ssd in my laptop has this bait and switch,large file transfers have a significant speed drop,the drive is from wd only buy a oem grade black nvme drive.

Although Kingston was the first to pull this off in 2014, it has been done by ADATA, Crucial and WD in this year itself and they're blaming it on the chip shortage.
Since Samsung hasn't done it yet, my next drive will be from them.

Although Kingston was the first to pull this off in 2014, it has been done by ADATA, Crucial and WD in this year itself and they're blaming it on the chip shortage.
Since Samsung hasn't done it yet, my next drive will be from them.
Samsung has done this for their 970 evo plus :(,
according to this https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...swapping-components-in-its-970-evo-plus-ssds/.

The drive with new components has reduced write speeds over 100 GB files and increased speeds for writes under 100 GB.

Last edited:
Not sure what to look for while buying an SSD. Not good enough with the specs. I didn't understand most of the chat, can you please shed some light on which brand is good? For a moment, I thought I would use the Crucial's detector and buy one through it.

Thanks.

Not sure what to look for while buying an SSD. Not good enough with the specs. I didn't understand most of the chat, can you please shed some light on which brand is good? For a moment, I thought I would use the Crucial's detector and buy one through it.

Thanks.
Generally, if you are moving from hdd to ssd any ssd will blow your mind. I have WD green, it comes under garbage in ssd tier list but I was truly surprised at how fast it was compared to mechanical harddisks. If you aren't going to move large chunks of data(single file of 10 GB or 100 GB), frequently most ssds should be good. This is what I have gathered from a superficial reading in this topic. I will update when I read more.

In the amazon lightning deals thread, some members were kind enough to share resources on SSD specs:

Post in thread 'Amazon India lightning deals' https://techenclave.com/threads/amazon-india-lightning-deals.176126/post-2330985 (Credit: @psyph3r )

Post in thread 'Amazon India lightning deals' https://techenclave.com/threads/amazon-india-lightning-deals.176126/post-2330983
(Credit: @napstersquest )

For OS Stuff, I usually recommend something with a TLC as compared to QLC and higher endurance rating/warranty. (generally higher warranty means higher confidence of manufacturer in their SSD for longevity).
OS does a lot of reads and writes even if you don't install new programs and stuff. So on boot SSD it is a bit taxing.
I have same two drives installed in my PC since day one. Didn't install programs in OS drive since then, but have been installing and deleting games and stuff on the game drive.
In 6 months, the OS drive has seen more TBW (TB Written) than the game drive.
External isn't a good choice for SSDs imo because of how the USB interface sucks for random read/writes (small chunks of data- let's say thousands of 50KB whatsapp images will take whole lot longer than 500MB video files).
The OS Use case comprises of such small data transfers as well.
The P1 500GB for 3599 is a good deal, considering Crucial has good support here and you should be set for 5 years without hassle.
But remember, all storage and RAM prices are coming down so you *_might_* get lucky with other deals too.

PS: Rule of thumb, avoid ADATA. Prefer Samsung and Crucial - They make their own patty for their burgers. (patty=NAND chips, burgers=SSDs)

Any idea why this is happening?
I am pretty sure that the NAND flash production is going good but things that need NAND flash (like GPUs, etc) are in short supply, so overflow of NAND and hence things that don't need much more silicon than the NAND itself (SSDs, RAM etc) are in excess
I remember hearing this but could not trace it back.

Found it now! GN predicted it a year ago. Good look into reasons as well:

Last edited:
Thanks all. I already have a 512 GB SSD in laptop. It came with the laptop and has Windows 10 pre-installed. But I might run out of space soon. That is why I am thinking about adding another 512 GB, internally or externally. It will be mainly to store data and media.

Prefer Samsung and Crucial

Thanks. I am planning to get it from Flipkart if possible. Because they are much more friendly in terms of refunds and replacements for me. When I talked to HP regarding the internal SSD, they said to get any M2 SSD and it should work. It is nice to know which brands to choose.

I am pretty sure that the NAND flash production is going good but things that need NAND flash (like GPUs, etc) are in short supply, so overflow of NAND and hence things that don't need much more silicon than the NAND itself (SSDs, RAM etc) are in excess
I remember hearing this but could not trace it back.

Found it now! GN predicted it a year ago. Good look into reasons as well:
Thanks for the explanation!

Back