PlayStation 3 to Get DVR Functionality in 2008

MAGNeT

Skilled
5545_4758_ps3.jpg

Sony console to learn Tivo next year

Looking at the technical specifications of the PlayStation 3, it is easy to see that Sony’s console will do much more than just games. According to comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment New Zealand head of marketing Warwick Light to The Press, the console will be getting DVR functions in 2008.

"We're also hoping next year – about the same time that Freeview launches its terrestrial broadcasting service – to release a digital tuner for the PS3, turning it into a programmable TV recorder," said Light.

Although Sony may release different functions according to region, it’s no secret that the PlayStation 3 is an extremely versatile media hub. As of firmware version 1.80, the PlayStation 3 is a Digital Living Networked Alliance (DLNA)-compatible device, allowing it to stream media.

Light describes this new feature as “sort of a sharing format between compatible networked devices. It means I can have my laptop, and my PS3 can wirelessly detect movies, or music, or pictures stored on it and stream it to my TV. That content will appear on the PS3's X-media bar.â€

Sony is also planning video-on-demand capabilities for the PS3, at least in Korea. As revealed prior to the console’s launch in South Korea, Sony confirmed that it was in talks with telecoms operators about providing VOD services for the upcoming new console. “We are contacting some Korean firms in order to incorporate VOD applications into PlayStation 3 service line-up,'' Sony spokeswoman Park Seo-yun said in an earlier story.

source::DailyTech - PlayStation 3 to Get DVR Functionality in 2008

very very cool, being able to stream all 17gb of my music from my pc using DLNA has been a really awesome new feature. Streaming movies is not quite there yet unless they are mpg's, as you have to use something like Nero Home to output DIVX on the fly, and quality really lacks.

there is another utility to do that other than nero home -TVersity,I'm using it after using nero for a while and I find it much better try and i'm sure u'll find it does a much better job!

Back