Monitors Please help me decide a Decent LCD TFT Moniter

Josh

Skilled
Hi techies,
Please help me decide a decent TFT LCD Moniter 17 inch.
Budget : Strict 14K
Thinking of getting Samsung 740N
Specs : UXGA : 1600X1200, Response Time : 8ms, Brightness : 300cd/m2, Contrast : 600:1
Cost 13.5K

How is Samsung 713 ?? And philips TFT's are very cheap with 12.5K for 17inch. Though digit carried out a shootout i dont have results right now. Will post then later though.

My Dealer in Pune DCC is insisting on Sony LCD TFT's retailing around 15.5K

Please suggest me a decent TFT LCD. Mostly for normal use. Ocassionally for movies and games.

I would be glad if appo and darky also help me out of this. I have seen both use LCD's.

Help me out of this techies.

Anish said:
Try and stretch your budget. Their's a Viewsonic V924 available on TE
No thanks dude... I dont need an uber LCD...:hap5:
And i stretched it to 17 in from original plan of 15in LCD...:ashamed:

I got the resolution info of 740n from ITDepot... Anyways 1280x1024 is also fine for me....

Please help me guys...

I believe Easy had posted sometime back about Sony LCDs being actually LG. He had opened it and had found the LG logo inside.. ask him for more details.
LG for the price of Sony. hmmmmm.

SpitefulPentium said:
I believe Easy had posted sometime back about Sony LCDs being actually LG. He had opened it and had found the LG logo inside.. ask him for more details.
LG for the price of Sony. hmmmmm.

Are you sure? If the panel is LG, it has to be LG Philips which means its an 8 bit IPS panel and a way way better deal than anything else :clap: :clap:.

yup. that's what his post said.

he got it exchanged i believe...

better deal? did he lose out on something better? he can answer this himself and enlighten us...

I think SONY LCD Monitors are really good but tjhey come at price. They sell for around 15k for 17" Monitors. Samsung sells for around 12.5 k and LG for 13k.

Chaos said:
Are you sure? If the panel is LG, it has to be LG Philips which means its an 8 bit IPS panel and a way way better deal than anything else :clap: :clap:.

YUP - but this happened about 3 years back - before IPS panels were born :) Now I have read often in other forums that Samsung and LG are the ONLY makers of LCD panels and they supply all the other brands..... is this TRUE ?? :huh:

Samsung 740n seems like a good choice. its around 14k as well.

got good review comments in the April 2006 Digit issue where they have carried out a LCD shootout (15, 17 and 19 inch models)

check it out if you can...;)

Even i am in the look out for a 17" LCD and I have narrowed down my choices to :

1) Syncmaster 740N

2) BenQ FP71E+

Now, although the FP71E+ is slightly higher priced than the 740N, it offers support for DVI which the 740N doesnt and i think that is a factor to be considered. The FP71E also comes with in built speakers, although their quality is nothing to be spoken about.

Eazy said:
YUP - but this happened about 3 years back - before IPS panels were born :) Now I have read often in other forums that Samsung and LG are the ONLY makers of LCD panels and they supply all the other brands..... is this TRUE ?? :huh:
There's a third player which is the biggest and makes all the TN panels... AU Optotronics. I hope i got the spelling right :p.

Really, I thought TN was made by samsung.

Ok here's wat I found.

TN (Twisted Nematic): Without an ODC (overdriving circuit), this type of panel offers the fastest pixel response time. This does however come at the expensive of viewing angles and color fidelity. Out of all TFT-LCD panels, the TN type has the lowest contrast. It is also a 6-bit color depth panel, meaning dithering or frame rate control (FRC) must be employed to reach close to a full 8-bit depth. Pixels in their active state on a TN are black, while in their inactive, white.

(P-)MVA ({Premium} Multidomain Vertical Alignment): The liquid crystal (LC) cells on MVA panels are in their active state white, and in inactive black and are separated into four domains. This slightly improves viewing angle over TN-type displays (MVAs provide ~45 degrees). MVA panels also provide a high contrast ratio. Grayscale inversion is minimal on these displays. Response time is the second slowest in the industry without ODCs.

PVA (Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment): Developed by Samsung, PVA is very similar to MVA. Viewing angles are very similar and inversion is minimal at wide viewing angles. As far as we know, Samsung rates their PVA panels as 6-bit and the S-PVA ones as 8-bit color depth panels. These panels deliver the slowest response time.

S-PVA (Super Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment): These types of panels deliver a full 8-bit color depth and have a structure split into eight domains. At wide viewing angles, they have less color shift and a lower black level than MVAs. According to Samsung, they have a higher contrast ratio and better response time than MVAs as well.

S-MVA (Super Multidomain Vertical Alignment): Likely similar to P-MVA from AU Optronics, Chi Mei Optoelectronics has developed the S-MVA type of panel. These also include multidomain, vertically-aligned liquid crystals so that the cells stay in the same shape at different positions, increasing brightness at wide viewing angles. According to CMO, S-MVA improves viewing angles from conventional MVA types to 80 degrees in all angles. Like other types of panels, response time has gradually improved on these as well.

IPS (In-Plane Switching): The IPS panel was pioneered by Hitachi to fix the problems that plague the VA and TN types. Like TN, most IPSes contain only a single domain, although DD-IPS (dual domain IPS) does exist. This technology sports the least distortion at wide viewing angles. Two transistors per each pixel are needed, so brighter backlighting is crucial and power consumption is higher than competing technologies, but response time benefits greatly from this. Color depth varies. One disadvantage is that a purple-black is now introduced in black colors at different viewing angles.

S-IPS (Super In-Plane Switching): LG Philips LCD improved on IPS with their S-IPS technology, which uses multiple domains of cells in its structure. These offer a lower black level, higher contrast ratio, lower response time, and a wider viewing angle than traditional IPS technology. Color depth on S-IPS panels is 8-bit. The purple-black still applies to wide viewing angles, but orange and red hues are greatly reduced versus other technologies at wider viewing angles.

AS-IPS (Advanced/Enhanced Super In-Plane Switching): These type of panels are LG Philips LCD's third generation of IPS technology. This is mainly just a wieldy moniker for improvements in the front-end driving electronics, including ODC to reduce response time, and a dynamic contrast ratio technology, raising contrast up to 1600:1. The diagonal viewing angle is also increased to 178 degrees, from 170 on S-IPS panels. AS-IPS panels very often include much brighter backlights than S-IPS types.

Back