Car & Bike Please suggest e-bike for daily use

nimod

Adept
Hi, I am planning to buy an ebike for daily use. I need to travel about 20km daily to/from my office. One side journey is 10km. I enquired one local dealer here in delhi and he quoted the cheapest model at 30K after govt. subsidy.

I request users of ebikes to share their experiences using ebikes. Which brand have you been using? how's its built quality? maintainance expenses you incurred? availability/prices of spare parts? Battery life? Which make/model would you recommend and why?

Finaly, does an ebike proves to be a cost effective in the end?

if you wanna travel 20kms on a ebike forget it. they cant even go above 45 speed and you will spend hours commuting like a tortoise. better buy a activa or scooty

Would it even be possible to go over 45 what with all the traffic in the city??? :D

Also, I guess @nimod ebike - does it have number plates? Are you trying to work around the odd/even rules :D

I think 60-70 is quite needed. Even in peak hours one needs it for overtaking etc atleast. With a max speed of 45 i doubt it can even overtake a Auto.

I enquired one local dealer here in delhi and he quoted the cheapest model at 30K after govt. subsidy.

Finaly, does an ebike proves to be a cost effective in the end?

Even I am in the same boat. Which bike did you enquire about? My office is about 8kms away from home in Bangalore. And an ebike sounds like a great solution compared to my Vespa.

How much its battery replacement will cost? I learnt that battery life is only two years. Add battery replacement cost also to electric charging bill and then calculate that is it better to buy these e-bikes?? After this, how much per kilometer cost jumps? Only factor is that it is green. No emissions.

Before buying, have a good study about battery, its life, and charging things.

Had this kind of scooter couple of years ago named as YO Smart. I had however bought this from a cousin of mine for Rs.8000/-. The original price he had bought was close to Rs.35,000/- This kind of e-bikes can be just used as secondary vehicle to move around within your neighborhood and certainly not as a primary one. Main advantage of this bike are-

1. Noiseless
2. No fuel
3. No need for registration, number plate or helmet

Apart from the above this e-bike has more cons. The main disadvantage was-

1. It does not move beyond 30kmph speed. Sometime a cycle guy would overtake you
2. Since it does not make noise make sure you do not come close to any vehicle adjacent to you as the opposite rider would be taken by surprise.
3. During heavy rains if rain water gets into the electrical circuit, the scooter just stops.
4. Takes about 10hrs to charge and after an year you need to change the chargers (not the battery) which would cost around Rs.3000/-
5. The 10hrs charge would run the vehicle for just around 15 to 18 kms and you need to charge it again.

The above are only some of the disadvantage of this ebike and most probably all ebikes should be like this. The maintenance cost is too costly and not worth it. After an year the battery would take much longer to charge and the company gives around 15000 kms for the battery and after that it needs to be changed (the battery cost would come around Rs.12,000). The main disadvantage is no road side mechanic would be able to repair the bike if it stops in the middle as they would be clueless. I had sold this off as a junk for Rs.500/-. That is the final worth of this bike. Never, Never make the mistake of buying an e-bike/scooter.

Whether a e bike or a petrol scooty please wear a helmet. A fall at even 10kmph can kill/paralyse a human body so better be safe than live life as a vegetable or 6feet under

E-bike scooters are the future but the ones on sale now are all crap.They are crap because of the type of battery used which is a sealed lead acid battery the same ones found in your ups.

Wait for atherenergy scooter which has li-on batteries these have faster charge rate,lower voltage sag and much higher life.

E bikes cause pollution too!! The electricity they use cause pollution to make! So, don't buy an e-bike because its pollution free!!

Apart from this, I also support the opinion that current crop of e-bikes are crap. They are too slow, long charging times etc etc.

Scooties work much better and are much more reliable!

Thanks for all your suggestions friends.
Reading your posts, I have dropped the idea for ebike for now.
I'll wait for Ather bike.

Back