Please suggest first touch screen phone for dad - 15k

Jasku

Skilled
Hi peeps,

My dad has been a Nokia user for eons and totally comfortable with it. But as usual, crappy OS and hardware, his phone hangs like crazy, cause he stores all messages and emails, his organizer. After a lot of coercion, I have convinced him to try a touchscreen.

Here are his requirements

Good voice function

Easy to use UI

Sync with outlook calendar(meetings, to-do etc), this is his lifeline

email

Bazillion contacts

Bazillion smses

battery life

decent music player (louspeaker)

decent build quality

Like I said, he is happier to get the 'best keybaoard based' nokia phone, but I have told him, there is no use getting hooked to a dead OS.

Based on the requirements I have zeroed in on the

Samsung Omnia W i8350 - seems like a good slick UI

Nokia Lumia 800 - Nokia brad, not sure it warrants the extra 5k, battery issues plaguing it

The budget can be increased if needed, but I dont see the need based on his requirements, unless you guys feel otherwise. Please chime in!

TIA

go for the Sony Ericsson W910i Live with walkman.. all the features, android phone.. blah blah blah. everything that you need. excellent quality earphones bundled along. one of the best in the market of mobile phones. dont go for the crappy nokia symbian OS. the android is much better.. .

around 14.5K from flipkart.

go for the Sony Ericsson W910i Live with walkman.. all the features, android phone.. blah blah blah. everything that you need. excellent quality earphones bundled along. one of the best in the market of mobile phones. dont go for the crappy nokia symbian OS. the android is much better.. .

around 14.5K from flipkart.

hey, thanks for the response, but I think the screen is a bit small, and would prefer a business type phone...

#[member='Jasku'] Bro, your requirements are very similar to my Dad's. And I guess the best way forward is to go for Nokia E6-00.

I just bought it for my Dad couple of weeks ago and he simply loves the intuitiveness of Touch and Type. He just didn't want to go for a complete touchscreen phone and therefore I thought this should be the way forward as it will make him accustomed to the Touch Interface without sacrificing his old habits and by the time this phone dies he will be acclimatized to the touch interface and be completely ready for touch screen phones.

My dad to looking for a phone with similar features and price range.... so me to looking for it...

I am using Live with Walkman, the only problem with it is the screen size (for my dad)

P.S.: #[member='puneetritehere'] the earphones bundled along with this phone are standard(not even in-ear buds), just plain standard.

I guess the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus launched recently is also an option.

It has bigger screen, Android 2.3

Also consider Wave 3 instaed of Wave 2.

All the features except Android OS.

My dad to looking for a phone with similar features and price range.... so me to looking for it...

I am using Live with Walkman, the only problem with it is the screen size (for my dad)

P.S.: #[member='puneetritehere'] the earphones bundled along with this phone are standard(not even in-ear buds), just plain standard.

i am talking about sound quality.. i personally dont prefer those airtight ear canal earphones..

Check Wave 2

Its Great for the Mentioned Requirements..

Or Samsung Omnia W! Its awesome phone for 15K too

Yes, saw the Wave, but again an orphan OS, not sure if its worth trying it.

#[member='Jasku'] Bro, your requirements are very similar to my Dad's. And I guess the best way forward is to go for Nokia E6-00.

I just bought it for my Dad couple of weeks ago and he simply loves the intuitiveness of Touch and Type. He just didn't want to go for a complete touchscreen phone and therefore I thought this should be the way forward as it will make him accustomed to the Touch Interface without sacrificing his old habits and by the time this phone dies he will be acclimatized to the touch interface and be completely ready for touch screen phones.

Agreed, the E6 is tailor made for, my only qualm is the dead Symbian OS, and I am sure Belle also will have stability issues, though more advanced than the previous versions, this is definitely an option though. Thanks.

Go with Samsung Omnia W ... WP7 is easy and has steep learning curve, your dad wont have much problem getting used to the UI ... Lumia 800 doesn't warrant 5k premium over Omnia W ...

Precisely my thougths, its smooth, even the lower end andriods are not as slick as the Ios, but mango definitely is!

Wouldnt mind him using Android, just wondering if it will be too complicated for him, also not as slick as iOS or mango. Not a deal breaker as long as its stable.

#[member='Jasku'], If your Dad is not too much into Gaming and Apps then I don't think Symbian should be a problem as all the Business Apps are in built in the Device.

nopes, not in gaming and apps, just business stuff, but I want the phone to be stable and his current E72, is just so sluggish cause my dad likes to keep every single piece of correspondence, and store a contact that he may only use once, and as stated earlier the organizer is his lifeline.

#[member='Jasku'] do post which one you buy.....
<

Try the N8. That is what i got my dad. Same Nokia interface but it is blistering fast with Symbian Belle, plus a great camera. Also personally i found the nokia offline navigation to be a boon. Just completed a 1 week long tour of Goa and used the N8 as a camera and a navigation unit flawlessly.

E6 will be a good bet. It is stable (obviosuly could've been better). Is avaialble for around 15K. A similar BB (9790) costs atleast 24k. Also the inbuilt 8 GB memeory is good for starting out. Another notable point is that E6 has a superb camera and Microsoft Email Active Sync (for seamless corporate emails). Also, it feels pretty solid as it is nicely built. Plus, the sunlight legibility of E6 is second to none (one of the brightest screens available). So all in all a vfm device and yes not a dual core or quad core, but does the job of gently introducing someone to touch while type is still right there. The only other phones you can consider in the same range might be Dell Venue Pro (but the touchscreen is huge) or HTC cha cha (which sadly is on the death bed, and in my opinion is one of the worst touch & type phones). So to me E6 looks good.

PS: By the way i migrated to BB 9900 and still miss my E6 which my dad just loves!!

#[member='Jasku'] do post which one you buy.....
happy19.gif

sure mate, dad busy with some work, will take him to Croma next week or so, and report back.

Try the N8. That is what i got my dad. Same Nokia interface but it is blistering fast with Symbian Belle, plus a great camera. Also personally i found the nokia offline navigation to be a boon. Just completed a 1 week long tour of Goa and used the N8 as a camera and a navigation unit flawlessly.

Yup, I got my fiance the N8, she is pretty happy with it, it did cross my mind, but again symbain belle and outdated model.

E6 will be a good bet. It is stable (obviosuly could've been better). Is avaialble for around 15K. A similar BB (9790) costs atleast 24k. Also the inbuilt 8 GB memeory is good for starting out. Another notable point is that E6 has a superb camera and Microsoft Email Active Sync (for seamless corporate emails). Also, it feels pretty solid as it is nicely built. Plus, the sunlight legibility of E6 is second to none (one of the brightest screens available). So all in all a vfm device and yes not a dual core or quad core, but does the job of gently introducing someone to touch while type is still right there. The only other phones you can consider in the same range might be Dell Venue Pro (but the touchscreen is huge) or HTC cha cha (which sadly is on the death bed, and in my opinion is one of the worst touch & type phones). So to me E6 looks good.

PS: By the way i migrated to BB 9900 and still miss my E6 which my dad just loves!!

I am sure if it were upto him, he would pick the E6 or the model that came after N8 with a full qwerty keyboard.

Guys, got the Lumia 700 today, he preferred the Nokia brand over Sammy.

But he is unhappy as Mango doesnt have

Profiles

Option of sending a text to an incoming call - yes symbian has this option!

Are there any apps to circumvent the above mentioned requirements?...Does Andriod have these features.

We may have to sell the Lumia 710 and get him another mobile!

Thanks again!

Back