CPU/Mobo Please suggest Intel based Mobo + Processor + RAM for around 15-20K.

dissel

Skilled
As the title mentioned I'm looking for an upgrade of my ancient old home pc which used by all family member (incl me). Nothing fancy, Just want to make sure it can run/handle HD movies rip as well as Blue-Ray (As I going to buy BD writer next year) without any lag. Else the normal day-to-day stuff along with it. No gaming capabilities needed.

The component I had which I collect from my cousin and some from my older pc:-

1. Nvidia 250GTS 1GB Card
2. Asus Xonar DX <- Want to use this but if the motherboard don't have PCI express slot then I need to compromise.
3. Cooler Master Gladiator 600 Cab.
4. Asus DVD Writer
5. Corsair VX550 W SMPS <- This is very important, I don't want to invest any other SMPS, please suggest a system which can handle by this SMPS.
6. Asus DVD Writer.
7. Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM SATA drive.

Now please suggest :-

1. Intel Core i ---- Processor = model number & price
2. Motherboard = model number & price <--- Open for suggestion brand like Intel & Gigabyte, I heard bad things about Asus earlier. don't want to step into any other brand.
3. RAM = model no & price <--- 4 GB RAM at least.

----------
Thats all, I can buy some of this 3 component from Flipkart too as they are well covered in my place thats it...no other online service for me, else I need to go local market.

Thanks in advance.

@dissel you should go for-
Intel i5 3450-12.5k
Gigabyte B75M-D3H-4.5k
Corsair Vengeance OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.5k
No need to worry this mobo has PCI Express slot,Also VX550 can handle gpu upto AMD HD7950 so it'll run this config easily.
Hope this helps.:)

^^^too much for the mentioned config -- got my gigabyte b75m-d3h @ 4k and an Intel core i5 3550 @ 12500 -- total 16500. The B75 will not overclock the cpu but can handle overclocking of the ram - it performs on par with the much expensive z77 chipset and costs 1/3rd of the z77 chipset. It also offers most of the features that come with the z77 chipsets. Its a rock solid and stable solution. I highly recomment it.

Thanks Jakob, your reply is quick, didn't expect that early :)

I'm hoping for intel i3 processor though which is 65 W TDP

http://www.flipkart.com/intel-3-3-ghz-fclga1155-core-i3-2120-processor/p/itmd8k45juy3gv6j?pid=PSRD8K44HQJ6HPYR&ref=5d9dd403-673a-4971-b53e-7a40aa35b918

By novice POV, isn't this processor handle my needs ? though extra 2 core is always a good thing to consider as you suggested.

-----------------------------

It seems motherboard you suggest is the most VFM one but the picture I collect from the Gigabyte website, can't find a
PCI Express 1.0 slot which is require for Asus Xonar DX card.

Please look at the Xonar DX card here :-

ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar DX

B75M-D3H comes with PCI Express 4.0 slot I think at the edge of the board Light blue color and official website says :

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
(The PCIEX4 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

k05M0.jpg

-------------------------

And about using 1600Mhz RAM the official website says;

"To support DDR3 1600 MHz, you must install an Intel 22nm CPU"

Your suggested processor is alright which is 22nm but the above link which the i3 one got 32nm CPU, in that case 1600 Mhz will not support right ?

Please reply my queries......

- - - Updated - - -

^^^too much for the mentioned config -- .

Thanks for the reply sunny27, what do you mean about too much ? please elaborate.....

You mean I don't need an i5 processor right ? please reply.

By novice POV, isn't this processor handle my needs ? though extra 2 core is always a good thing to consider as you suggested.

Of course it will handle, i5 isn't needed at all for your needs.

Thanks JuGGa for the confirmation, Can't make my mind on anything though.

After getting the first reply in this thread I googled lot, found and most forum ppl discouraging to get
Corsair Vengeance as its oversized heat sink so I gather Gskill Ripjaws will be the good alternative, but why 2 x 4 GB suggested ? why not a single 8 gb ?

FK's price;

Intel 3.1 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i5 3450 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

12487 INR

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

4390 INR

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

3918 INR

Is this ram compatible with this config ?

or this one recommended ?

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

3888 INR

Get the config i suggested it's very good for your requirement,No to 8GBX1 because if the single stick goes kaput you won't have anything to run your rig with so go for Gskill Ripjaws 2X4GB 1600mhz the last link you've posted above,Don't worry they'll run fine with the config i've suggested.Try to get components if possible as you'll get cheaper quotes.Hope this clears things.
Thanks JuGGa for the confirmation, Can't make my mind on anything though.

After getting the first reply in this thread I googled lot, found and most forum ppl discouraging to get
Corsair Vengeance as its oversized heat sink so I gather Gskill Ripjaws will be the good alternative, but why 2 x 4 GB suggested ? why not a single 8 gb ?

FK's price;

Intel 3.1 GHz FCLGA1155 Core i5 3450 Processor | Processor | Flipkart.com

12487 INR

Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

4390 INR

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

3918 INR

Is this ram compatible with this config ?

or this one recommended ?

G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

3888 INR

Thanks for the reply Jakob,

I know this kind of RAM hard to find locally in my place, So most probably need to buy from FK.

Anyhow,

Anyone can confirm the Asus Xoanr DX card which PCI Express 1.0 (PCIE x1) Slot can be installed in Gigabyte B75M-D3H board which got PCIE x4 slot?

Anyone can confirm the Asus Xoanr DX card which PCI Express 1.0 (PCIE x1) Slot can be installed in Gigabyte B75M-D3H board which got PCIE x4 slot?

Physically incompatible slots so the peripheral in question cannot be used.

You will need a motherboard that has a physical PCIe x1.0 slot.

Also, save some cash and get an i3 processor. the recently released ivy-bridge i3-3220 should be showing up in India soon. Theres nothing in normal usage that needs a 10k+ i5 CPU.

ALPHA17 said:
Physically incompatible slots so the peripheral in question cannot be used.

You will need a motherboard that has a physical PCIe x1.0 slot.

Thanks for the confirmation, these thing slowing me down....Is there any board in that price range as well as 75 chipset which can support / got PCIE x1.0 physical slot ?

techie_007 said:
Also, save some cash and get an i3 processor. the recently released ivy-bridge i3-3220 should be showing up in India soon. Theres nothing in normal usage that needs a 10k+ i5 CPU.

Thanks I will keep in mind, When this 3220 available in India ?

BTW....what is the difference between i5 3450 and 3550 except the clock speed ? FK lowered the price 1k of 3550 which means it can be find more cheap in local market.

Ohh....and I also can't decide RAM quantity also.....Brain said 2x4gb now but heart said 8 x1 gb now, month or two later another 8 gb so that I can reach to 32gb staidly when needed.

Have a look at the ASUS P8B75-V. I think it has got the PCIE 1x slot.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is: http://www.flipkart.com/asus-p8b75-v-motherboard/p/itmdajdyvwzmdq58?pid=MBDDAJBJJY2EY5JQ

PCI-E x1 will very well work on X1, X4, X8, X16 PCI Express slots

i am using my xonar STX in PCI-E x16 slot.

Thanks for the reply Jakob,

I know this kind of RAM hard to find locally in my place, So most probably need to buy from FK.

Anyhow,

- - - Updated - - -

apart from being non-overclockable, any feature you missing as a home user.
just want to know, because someone was telling previously B75 motherboard is only for "Businesses users". didn't quite got that.

^^^too much for the mentioned config -- got my gigabyte b75m-d3h @ 4k and an Intel core i5 3550 @ 12500 -- total 16500. The B75 will not overclock the cpu but can handle overclocking of the ram - it performs on par with the much expensive z77 chipset and costs 1/3rd of the z77 chipset. It also offers most of the features that come with the z77 chipsets. Its a rock solid and stable solution. I highly recomment it.

Thanks for the confirmation, these thing slowing me down....Is there any board in that price range as well as 75 chipset which can support / got PCIE x1.0 physical slot ?

Thanks I will keep in mind, When this 3220 available in India ?

BTW....what is the difference between i5 3450 and 3550 except the clock speed ? FK lowered the price 1k of 3550 which means it can be find more cheap in local market.

Ohh....and I also can't decide RAM quantity also.....Brain said 2x4gb now but heart said 8 x1 gb now, month or two later another 8 gb so that I can reach to 32gb staidly when needed.

Both are ivy bridge. Only diff is the slight speed diff. And like i said, overkill for a home system.
3220 was launched last week or so, should show up soon.

RAM today even 8gb again is more than enough for normal use. Get 2x4gb and you are set for a long long time. No need for upgrades anytime soon for your use case.

For what you are going to be doing with this system, dont spend more money than you need to. Use it somewhere else.

The B75 is targeted at business users in the sense that it has some business friendly features like ability to block usb ports etc. there is no consumer grade feature missing as such, and it seems to be a great board at the price for the features it offers. You are anyway, not going to overclock, so there is nothing major missing.

luster said:
PCI-E x1 will very well work on X1, X4, X8, X16 PCI Express slots

i am using my xonar STX in PCI-E x16 slot.

Thanks for the confirmation, this will help me sure. Yes ! I also installed Xonar DX in dead mobo's X16 slot which use for graphic card it fit perfectly....just it like sits on a x1 slot, though can't test for obvious reason. Also Google says it can compatible but your post clear up the air. So now I'm fixed with B75M-D3H.

Thank You.

Both are ivy bridge. Only diff is the slight speed diff. And like i said, overkill for a home system.
3220 was launched last week or so, should show up soon.

RAM today even 8gb again is more than enough for normal use. Get 2x4gb and you are set for a long long time. No need for upgrades anytime soon for your use case.

For what you are going to be doing with this system, dont spend more money than you need to. Use it somewhere else.

The B75 is targeted at business users in the sense that it has some business friendly features like ability to block usb ports etc. there is no consumer grade feature missing as such, and it seems to be a great board at the price for the features it offers. You are anyway, not going to overclock, so there is nothing major missing.

Thanks for the suggestion, I can wait a little bit longer and keep in mind your suggestion too, let see how i3 3220 priced in the market.

--------

I read most of the review about B75M-D3H available in the Internet by famous Hardware testing sites, but 1 comment really caught my attention which is wrote by a user of this board at FlipKart product page which I just notice and posting the line only

....Now the positives, which i must admit is very encouraging at this pricepoint
a) 4 RAM slots, but make sure you dont buy GSKILL or other top gaming RAM's or otherwise you will be able to use only 2....

Any one can justify this ? Is it possible two RipJaws 4 GB stick can block the other two slot in dual channel config ?

Any owner of this board with similar ram can confirm please.

Well that above comment made me confused about RAM choice.

--------

I read most of the review about B75M-D3H available in the Internet by famous Hardware testing sites, but 1 comment really caught my attention which is wrote by a user of this board at FlipKart product page which I just notice and posting the line only

Any one can justify this ? Is it possible two RipJaws 4 GB stick can block the other two slot in dual channel config ?

Any owner of this board with similar ram can confirm please.

Well that above comment made me confused about RAM choice.

Check the size of your RAM modules (in a photo of it). According to the flipkart comment, motherboard 's RAM slots might be too close together and so unable to fit RAM modules with even slightly large heatsink. While I don't know how true that comment is, you anyway don't need RAM with any protruding heatsink at all, especially if your cabinet has side fans (most these days do). It will save cash on RAM as well as make it fit in any motherboard.

3220 available at SMC and cost2cost. Priced around 7.5K which is good. Get that one. Even I am going for that processor with the ASUS board that I listed above (better than the gigbayte board since it supports MVP/ASUS Suite II, has heatsinks for the south bridge and is full atx)

Back