Budget 0-20k Plex Server

djdgr8

Disciple
Looking to buy a device that I can use as a plex server and also use it to remotely download torrents to. Honestly not sure what I am looking for Nas/ Nuc/server ?? It needs to be able to direct play 4k streams and transcode and play 1080p files to 3-4 remote connections. It has be small and able to run 24 X 7.

Look into Raspberry Pi 4B or Nvidia Jetson(which might be an overkill)
I'm using my Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB RAM version) to run SAMBA NAS, Deluge Seedbox, Pihole and Plex Media Server all at the same time, 24x7. But I don't view 4K content, just 1080P while Pi is capable of handling 4K content. It's base clock is 1.5GHz but if you invest into good case/cooling solution for it, you can easily overclock it to run @ 2.2GHz stable.

4k on Pi 4 will take time as while the hardware is capable, the software is still a work in progress. If 4k media playback is your priority have a look at this and this and then decide.

Last edited:
Looking to buy a device that I can use as a plex server and also use it to remotely download torrents to. Honestly not sure what I am looking for Nas/ Nuc/server ?? It needs to be able to direct play 4k streams and transcode and play 1080p files to 3-4 remote connections. It has be small and able to run 24 X 7.
You can try to get an i5 NUC.

I recently got an NUC which has Pentium J5005 processor (Gigabyte Brix 5005). The processor has a TDP of 15W. So it can be very easily be used all day.
But not really sure if it can serve 3-4 streams simultaneously if each stream needs transcoding.

I use Jellyfin on it. Two simultaneous streams work fine. Not sure if it is transcoding though.

You can try to get an i5 NUC.

I recently got an NUC which has Pentium J5005 processor (Gigabyte Brix 5005). The processor has a TDP of 15W. So it can be very easily be used all day.
But not really sure if it can serve 3-4 streams simultaneously if each stream needs transcoding.

I use Jellyfin on it. Two simultaneous streams work fine. Not sure if it is transcoding though.
What do you use for storage? In built/external hard drives or some other setup?

Back