Graphic Cards pls help, whats wrong here ?

vint

Disciple
I was playing crysis with 1.2 patch on, it was running smooth at very high settings/full HD. Then I came to know of this mod called natural mod, which makes crysis look very realistic. So I tried installing it, then after I started crysis, the game went into a black screen, hung and I got a error that the display driver has recovered from an error. Then I removed the mod, but no use. The vanilla crysis (with patch 1.2 ) also started getting stuck. Worse thing was, I was unable to play any full HD videos as well on my VLC player after that, with the screen going complete black everytime I tried and OS getting hung. Even system restore/uninstall - reinstall of display drivers didn't help. I re-installed the OS (Win 7), and again installed crysis, patched to 1.2 and now its playing fine.

I want to know, what really happened out there ? Are mods capable of screwing up with the drivers ? And how could this possibly affect viewing of HD videos ? Has my gfx card been damaged ?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

I'm using: I5 750, DH55TC mobo, kingston 4 GB RAM, corsair 550W PSU, ATI HD5850 sapphire gfx card, Win 7 Ultimate OS

^^ He already did...... Read the post carefully.

I cant comment on what happened with your mod, but I sure as hell wont be using that mod with my crysis.....

I have used Crysis ToD mods. Never something so drastic happened. Probably when you installed the mod, it corrupted some drivers and system files. The OS refresh corrected it all. Be careful with mods. Could you post the link to that mod, want to see the source. Doubt your GPU is damaged. Give it 15 minutes on Furmark If it passes you are fine..!

asingh said:
I have used Crysis ToD mods. Never something so drastic happened. Probably when you installed the mod, it corrupted some drivers and system files. The OS refresh corrected it all. Be careful with mods. Could you post the link to that mod, want to see the source. Doubt your GPU is damaged. Give it 15 minutes on Furmark If it passes you are fine..!

Here's the link: Crytek's Official Modding Portal | Work In Progress | Natural Mod for Crysis

I'll check Furmark, thanks :)

smAsh said:
If it is not Display driver then it must be DirectX which caused the black screen and system hang.

is there any way to verify that ?

The site is legit. And the OP for the ToD mod is quite popular. Weird that it caused such a problem on your system. Probably some corrupt installation. It can happen. I doubt you can verify the original root cause, because system was overlay with a new installation.

vint said:
is there any way to verify that ?

As your already reinstalled the system, there is no way to verify that. But since your graphics card is working fine concludes that it was the software problem. Now since your video playback was affected too by the mod means not just the game files but either the display driver files or the DirectX files was corrupted by the mod installation. You reinstalled the display driver but not the DirectX which may be the reason behind crashes.

ok, the problem resurfaced again today. Crysis plays fine, then I install some other games like GRAW, install an anti virus and some MS win 7 auto updates, and then I restart crysis and it blacks out :(

I try system restore to the point where i just had crysis and none of the rest mentioned above, but no use. It still blacks out.

Like you guys say, I can check the directx this time around. Can you tell me where to download directx 11 from ? On MS website I see only directx 9.0c. No link for downloading directx 11. Or maybe I'm not able to find it, so kindly help me here.

Also, let me know on how to uninstall directx from my system ? Will directx buster work in win 7 ?

^^ thanks for that asingh. No I've not run the tests yet, will run it today. Also, can u tell me how to remove the existing directx from my system ?

ok atlast i was able to know the reason for the problem. Seems likewhen i set the resolution to full hd / details to very high and save the game, and restart crysis , the game crashes with a black screen ! It doesn't crash when i play with all the details maxed out at full hd though. It crashes only when loading a profile with such settings,

I tried playing the game at full high settings and then before i quit , i changed the video settings to default. Next time I restart crysis, starts without a hitch !

I don't have any hd videos with me to try if its working though....but this problem is really weird :huh:

I read on another forum that black screen could be a result of the gfx card overheating and shutting down ! Now, I'm sort of afraid to stress the gfx card with any tests either.... :hap5:

No need to worry dear , its got nothing to do with your hardware . I faced similar problem while playing warhead . Do one thing go to Documents/My games and find crysis folder . In there find the profile folder and delete that entire folder and start the game again . Beware this will delete your saved games but your problem will get fixed . If it persists then delete the entire crysis folder in my documents and try restarting the game again .

Don't use Natural Mod again.. U want realistic crysis graphics??? Wanna max it all out?? Well, here are two CFGs... autoexec included.. Try them one by one.. Remember, backup your old cfgs before replacing...

Deposit Files

Back