PLZ ADVICE : Alternative to PMP...

anilk47

Disciple
Guys,,,I am in situtation here and need your suggestions to sail through...i need following in a mobile phone at lowest possible cost

Should act as PMP
1.long battery life,
2.should play FLAC
3.Compatible - 3.5 mm jack
4.hardware good enough atleast Sansa Fuze+ type / no need to use IEM amp ( dont know anything anything hardware role in good music :huh:)

so please suggest.....

budget ;;;NOT MUCH

pratikb said:
samsung galaxy player 5.

suits your requirements well.

Has it been launched in India? Also, OP needs a phone, which would act as a PMP.

@anilk47: Try Nokia C6-00: Buy Nokia C6-00 Black - 3G/5MP/16GB at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews with coupons should cost you around Rs. 10,700/-. Don't go for Android as the battery won't last you long. Alternatively, you can try Samsung Focus, which would be below 10K. Agantuk was selling one in the market.

The Galaxy Player is not a smartphone which is what the OP needs.

The Galaxy S Plus has great audio quality and player like Power Amp can play FLAC files. On the cheaper side of things, I guess Galaxy Ace has good sound quality like most other Samsung smartphones do.

The Nokia C6-00 is an ancient phone by today's standards and runs a completely outdated version of Symbian. Also, I'm not sure it plays flac files. On the Symbian side of things, something like the new Nokia 500 will be a far better choice than a phone which runs on s60v5.

ayanavish said:
Has it been launched in India? Also, OP needs a phone, which would act as a PMP.

@anilk47: Try Nokia C6-00: Buy Nokia C6-00 Black - 3G/5MP/16GB at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews with coupons should cost you around Rs. 10,700/-. Don't go for Android as the battery won't last you long. Alternatively, you can try Samsung Focus, which would be below 10K. Agantuk was selling one in the market.

thanks guys...with carefull consideration ..i have two options Samsung Focus & Dell XCD35...but dont know which is better for audio output ( 3.5mm jack obviously) and which one has native FLAC support....can any one please help...

The samsung focus boasts the renowned SUPER AMOLED screen with 100,000:1 contrast and also runs on the windows phone 7 (upgradeable to 7.5) platform.

Plus it sports a 1 ghz processor, which is an order of magnitude faster than the dell xcd's. At this point choosing between them should be a no brainer :p.

Anant said:
The samsung focus boasts the renowned SUPER AMOLED screen with 100,000:1 contrast and also runs on the windows phone 7 (upgradeable to 7.5) platform.
Plus it sports a 1 ghz processor, which is an order of magnitude faster than the dell xcd's. At this point choosing between them should be a no brainer :p.

thanks understood..but the price differance is also matters...and million doller question audio playback capabilities and native FLAC support...

anilk47 said:
thanks understood..but the price differance is also matters...and million doller question audio playback capabilities and native FLAC support...

Dell XCD35 runs on Android; the stock one lags so you need to root it to make it usable. If you are tight on budget, then PM any of the existing owners about your queries and decide; or if you can increase it nothing beats Nokia's C6-00, C6-01 multimedia capability. By today's standards, those phones are pretty obsolete though.

Here's the Dell XCD35 thread: http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/zte-blade-aka-dell-xcd-35-a-181302.html

Another alternative: Buy Nokia C5-03 (Grey) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Review: Nokia C5-03 review: Media | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Mobile phones

Nokia C5-03 - Full phone specifications

Focus won't give you Indian warranty though but it's a beautiful phone. It's available on ebay.in but priced way high; better to try the ebay.com auctions.

Samsung Focus | eBay

Edit: Focus doesn't seem to support FLAC: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_focus-3453.php

@ayanavish

No offence mate, but you do you keep recommending s60v5 phones? It's like recommending a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone even though it's been a year since WP7 is out. As I mentioned earlier, if the OP wants to go for a Nokia phone and keep his budget below 10k, the Nokia 500 looks like his best bet.

Buy Nokia 500 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

@ anilk47

I own the Dell XCD35 aka ZTE Blade. Audio quality is not stellar, it's average at best. As others have mentioned, the stock ROM lags a lot since it has an HDPI display with a not so good processor. Installing a custom ROM and overclocking does help a bit, but don't expect 1GHz performance. I'm not sure if the Focus (WP7) handles FLAC content yet. There are a few players on the Android market which play FLAC audio files, however I haven't tested them personally.

pageisgod85 said:
@ayanavish

No offence mate, but you do you keep recommending s60v5 phones? It's like recommending a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone even though it's been a year since WP7 is out. As I mentioned earlier, if the OP wants to go for a Nokia phone and keep his budget below 10k, the Nokia 500 looks like his best bet.

Buy Nokia 500 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

I have stated that by today's standards they are dinosaurs, but it depends on the requirement and budget of the OP. And yes Nokia 500 is also a good choice with Symbian anna, from LB should be around Rs. 8700 ish (with AMEXLB coupon, if it works).

Reviews: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_500-reviews-4085.php

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Nokia-500-Review_id2842

ayanavish said:
or if you can increase it nothing beats Nokia's C6-00, C6-01 multimedia capability. By today's standards, those phones are pretty obsolete though.

This the part I didn't understand. I owned the 5233 for over a year and it ran on a CFW created by me. It had almost the same internal specs as the C6-00 or the C5-03 (other than its overclocked processor) and was not a multimedia capable monster by any stretch of the imagination. It did not play normal 225/350mb tv series files and those had to go through a converter before being playable on the phone. On the contrary, the XCD35 easily plays those files on Rock Player or MoboPlayer without any issues. With the phones you recommended crossing the 7-8k mark and running an OS which is completely dead, I don't see any reason why anybody would buy that over its competitors right now.

1.O.P wants to use the phone as pmp

No Winmo7 phone play xvid/divx/mkv at present.

For a good pmp these are necessities.

So for primary use as pmp winmo7 device is not really ideal.

Focus does have a great screen but codec support will remain an issue.

2.Now,android phones usually do not have great battery life,most of them won`t even last a day if used as pmp.

And very few droid comes with decent sound quality.

The only droids which can be used as pmp are Galaxy S and Nexus S.

Symbian,despite being in geriatric age group does fit into o.p`s need rather perfectly.

The audio quality of some <15k phone from nokia is miles ahead of >30k htc offerings,the screens are decent enough and the power management is even better than i o.s.

The only problem will be those mkv files,there are actually hit or miss in symbian s60v5.Xvid/divx plays just fine.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pageisgod85 said:
This the part I didn't understand. I owned the 5233 for over a year and it ran on a CFW created by me. It had almost the same internal specs as the C6-00 or the C5-03 (other than its overclocked processor) and was not a multimedia capable monster by any stretch of the imagination. It did not play normal 225/350mb tv series files and those had to go through a converter before being playable on the phone. On the contrary, the XCD35 easily plays those files on Rock Player or MoboPlayer without any issues. With the phones you recommended crossing the 7-8k mark and running an OS which is completely dead, I don't see any reason why anybody would buy that over its competitors right now.

Do not know about C6-00,BUT C6-O1 can play 700MB avi rips perfectly and will really blow XCD35 away in the multimedia front.Sound quality wise XCD35 is miles behind C6-01.

red dragon said:
Do not know about C6-00,BUT C6-O1 can play 700MB avi rips perfectly and will really blow XCD35 away in the multimedia front.Sound quality wise XCD35 is miles behind C6-01.

I wasn't talking about the C6-01. All S^3 devices have great audio quality and multimedia features, I'm aware of that :)

pageisgod85 said:
I wasn't talking about the C6-01. All S^3 devices have great audio quality and multimedia features, I'm aware of that :)

Not the Nokia 500. It struggles to play standard def videos.It does not have GPU.Others have a bc chip with dedicated 256 megs.

Also Nokia 700,701 have a gpu. But yes C6-01 will be the best bet.

Regarding older symbian phones.Both s60 V3 and s60 V5 have very good audio players(dont support flac by default)

Regarding videos s60V3 can play back most standard def xvid files using Core player

s60v5 inspite of the bigger screen cannot play xvid files smoothly.But yes if you convert/transcode them,they are eminently watchable.

@OP

considering you have not specifically mentioned budget,here are the options:

5k: SE zylo : Good audio, supports FLAC , good battery life(18-20 hes on audio)

- No 3.5 mm jack , No micro usb , limited video support

7k: Nokia 5230/Nokia C5 : Same as above,But smartphones.No flac by default.3.5 mm,microusb,decent battery life

8-9k: LG O one/ Net : Can play standard def xvids. SQ average to good depending on ROM

12k: Nokia C6-01 : great video player OOB, good SQ, No flac oob.

avoid c6-00. If you want S60 V5, 5233 is the phone to buy.There is not much difference between them.

thanks guys for taking out time and posting your suggestions....

what i understood is nokia with budget is good choice for multimedia ( quite didnt understand the ROM has in good audio quality)

3.5 mm jack is must because i have pair of good IEMs..so no sony zylo..

so currently have nokia c6-01 on top priority ...will check prices and hope wont go for anything else..

last question...what about local brands saying that their few models has YAMAHA amp..does that have anything to do with quality...

special thanks to ayanavish, aka911 , pageisgod85 and red dragon..thanks

The Yamaha DAC used in Galaxy S2 is not very good,do not know about other brands.

C6-01 is a good option,the screen is small by today`s standards,but it is crisp and vibrant.

It is well built too,but slightly heavy for its size.

How much does C7 cost now?

Back