Pokki is your Windows 8 Start Menu saviour

RoBoGhOsT

Perambulating
Skilled
So you installed the new Windows 8 operating system on your old desktop. It's fast! Great! But you're stuck with a touch interface on your 3 year old non-touch 21.5" monitor. But hey! Boot times are great and the OS is snappy and quick right? And you still have the old desktop mode lying underneath this layer of so called Modern UI. Well, then there's the Start Menu, or the lack of one. And that's where you begin to lose it.
Windows 8 and Start Menu

The Start Menu has been around for a long, long time. Really long time. It's become essential. We come to think of it as a tail to a dog, it just has to be there right? You are so used to clicking on the start menu for Control Panel, or to go to "RUN" or just Shut Down your PC that your hard automatically drags the mouse to your left bottom corner of your display when you want to do any of the above said actions. And then, it's not there.

In Windows 8, Microsoft made a huge decision to let go of the Start Menu. I don't think there's really a huge reason behind this (c'mon it's a cute and useful and small Start Menu! What could it have possibly done so wrong to get laid off?). I think the Start Menu wouldn't have jelled well with a touch interface, and hence the Metro a.k.a Modern UI. But then touch users i.e. Windows 8 RT don't have to deal with another desktop layer anyways right? Then why oh why did you Microsoft remove the Menu?
Pokki (The Saviour): A Review

Enter Pokki. This small app is probably the best app for Windows 8 right now. Pokki brings the Start Menu back to Windows 8, but it doesn't stop there. I can go far enough to say that Pokki is a better Start Menu than Microsoft's own Start Menu has ever been (and clearly won't ever be). Since launch, Pokki has been downloaded over 1.5 million times already, with nearly 40,000 downloads per day as of now. That alone shows how popular the app has gotten and just how many of us lonely souls miss the Start Menu, without which our good ole desktop feels incomplete.
Design and Functionality

The layout of Pokki is minimalistic. The app has seen a recent update which has added more functionality while keeping to it's minimal roots. You have the option of opening your Favorite Apps, All Apps or even your Control Panel right at the top. After that, you are shown links to Documents and My Computer, links that you use frequently. And below that you have your recently used apps, in case you want to go back to using any that you only recently closed.

Did I tell you? Pokki has a cute Acorn icon for it's app that sits at the same place as the original Start Menu did. Pokki allows two themes, light and dark. Personal choice really kicks in here, and I love the White elegant look. You have a settings menu where you can do things like changing the theme, or setting what the old "Windows" button on your keyboard does upon getting pressed. Either the default Modern UI comes up, or you can configure it to start up Pokki, just like the Start Menu did.

[wzslider autoplay="true" height="450"]
What Pokki aims to do:

Start button for Windows 8

Find and open your programs, files, control panel, and power options with one click of the Pokki start button.​

A modern Start menu

Search and organize your favorite apps and websites on your desktop, just like you would on a smartphone.

Hundreds of free apps

Enjoy a mobile-like app experience on your PC, with free apps and games like Facebook and Angry Birds.​

Apps Store

Pokki wants to be the One Click access to the most important stuff on your PC, and beyond. Pokki supports apps. Pokki's app store has hundreds of useful apps such as GMail and Instagrille (for Instagram browsing) or even Facebook lite (for you FB addicts!). There's even Angry Birds (of course there is, it's everywhere!).

Conclusion

There is no reason not to try out Pokki. It's a brilliant app that aims to bring back your Start Menu, only do it better than it was ever deemed possible. If there could be a greater Start Menu, it is Pokki!
Download Pokki for your Windows 8 PC from here

Back