Poorly rated/less popular game you loved most.

Popular games like Halo, COD, GTA, Mario, MGS are loved by gamers and critics alike in genera. These games sell in tons and earn a eye popping critic rating. Many like them, some hate them

And there are games which are rated very poorly by critics but loved by gamers.
Also there are games which are completely ignored in general but are excellent.

Have you come across such a game and found it better than other hyped games?
If so, what was the game and give reason why you liked it?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

My personal favorite is 'Urban Chaos'. Very few ppl know about this game. It didnt sell well and was rated Okayish game by critics. But I still find this game better than any other game I have ever played. For me its the best game I have ever played. What got me in was the amazing story it had and a very good gameplay. I spent countless hours on this game and never got bored (nowadays i get bored within few hrs in the game).

Gothic 3, it received the best bashing of all games, but its also the game, i had the most fun with, and loved the entire experience (after patching it offcourse)
Underneath all the roughness, a diamond was found

though its a very popular series, in Europe

Mine would be:

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - Got panned by the Gayspot rating and the reviewer being fired fiasco, but it was a amazing game.

Bully
- I don't think it got a lot of publicity (not sure about the rating), but it was a highly entertaining title from Rockstar.

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason - Another atmospheric game which was ignored.

Bionic Commando - Although the studio that made it has closed down now, I feel this was a very good game. It had a great soundtrack and the ending was fantastic.

Beowulf
- I'm a sucker for hack-en-slash titles. I enjoyed the game for what it had to offer.

Silent Hill: Homecoming
- Mixed reviews and was deemed poor by some hardcore Silent Hill fans. It was the first Silent Hill game that I had completed. Brilliant atmosphere but was ruined by technical issues on the PC.

Aliens V/S Predator (2010) - Just completed this game a few weeks back, I'm surprised how it got rated so poorly. It was a pretty good effort.

Dante's Inferno - Critics and GOW fans labelled it as a poor man's God of War Or God of War clone. Turned out to be a pretty good title.

@Ethan Hunt

Well Bully got lot of publicity(albeit controversial), great reviews and was listed for awards. So cant say it was poorly rated or ignored.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully_(video_game)

Where did you buy Cryostasis?

@Jojothedragon

Yes, Timeshift was an amazing game. I used to spend more time looking at the atmosphere in the game rather than playing it. The graphics were truly brilliant.

@aman27deep

Indigo Prophecy - Gamespot 8.4. Well 8.5 was for MW 2. So not poorly rated and has sold enough units.

jojothedragon said:
Time Shift 2008 A very unique and fun to play shooter poorly rated by critics.
I really liked this game. Probably had the most fun, trying the different time shifts. The guns were nice too. Decent story. Plus the Havok Physics made it more awesome.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance, is actually a pretty good game and bought the entire series to a satisfactory conclusion if you were willing to forgive dialogues that made MGS look like some nursery rhyme.

Indigo Prophecy kept you in the grip till you realize how messed up the entire third act is and how poor the writing got.

Psychonauts, didn't get as much love as it deserved but it an awesome game. Emotional baggage anyone ;)

Psi Ops was a pretty fun game and definitely deserves a sequel for the current gen consoles

Timeshift, Indigo prophecy, Caesar 4, Stronghold, Nightfire (or something, James Bond wala), ........

And of course, Farmville....... j/k...

ravihpa said:
Psychonauts - Awesome Awesome game :)
8.8 by Gamespot. hmmm
Anyone heard about 'Breakneck', amazing car racing game. You can race on both day and night. Different environment and locations. Different seasons too. You can spill oil, fire rockets, use nails against opponents (so can they).I enjoyed it more than NFS MW. Gamespot gave it 6.7 (fair).

sugat123 said:
8.8 by Gamespot. hmmm
Anyone heard about 'Breakneck', amazing car racing game. You can race on both day and night. Different environment and locations. Different seasons too. You can spill oil, fire rockets, use nails against opponents (so can they).I enjoyed it more than NFS MW. Gamespot gave it 6.7 (fair).
Breakneck.!!Played it ages ago_Oil Slicks,Nails,Missles...An old favorite cartoon speed racer comes to mind when you think of it.I almost forgot about this,thanks for reminding me sugat123:hap2:.One of a kind game...definitely deserves a lot of credit for creativity at least.Surprisingly the game doesn't have a proper wiki page!!.I wouldn't recommend anyone to try this because I played it on a 2MB DirectDraw card(no D3D!!) around 10 years back,so it probably looks like crap now.Wish someone would remake it...

I hope not all here have forgotten - Beyond Good and Evil
decent reviews, poor sales, but a great game

caught up with the gamers pretty late

Soul Reaver to Defiance. This game is the king of story driven games. And the dialogues are craft with such meticulousness i havent seen a game that even comes close to it since.

Back