Postal fees charged for Blu Ray purchase from UK

sandeepk

Disciple
I purchased Harry Potter Boxset of 6 films for 18.99 GBP (including price for shipping to India by mail (Royal Mail)) from Amazon. First of all package arrived very late and the postman charged me with additional Rs. 399 for delivering the package. I am not sure what is the breakup of the charges are for because it is written by the a person working in post office in a haphazard way. But it has to be a combination of Postage Due + Customs Duty + Postal Fee. The package arrived in Mumbai, India on 4 Jan but was delivered to my home in Pune today only. What a speedy delivery :mad: !

Does any body knows what is this additional postal charge? As I have ordered anything for the first time from a foreign country I am not aware if it always applicable or just in my case?

What was the price mentioned on the Boxset? Was any invoice mentioning the correct price provided? Blu ray disks call for 26.85% duty so if price was 18.99 GBP the duty will be approximately 5.1 GBP = 370 Rs.

^ That is the Customs Duty

It comes under the following customs rate

Product Name Blu ray Disk

Custom-tarif heading 85234050

Rate of duty 26.85%

So 18.99 GBP ~ 1400 INR, the duty amount will come to ~ Rs 375, the balance maybe the Postal fee.

Edit : Took a while to type it! :p

Thanks for the explanation. I got it now! I was confused because of the way it was written by hand (not possible to decrypt the handwriting).

^^ Yes. Really really cheap. The offer was ON for around 2 weeks before Christmas. The price of boxset was 15.31 GBP and shipping charges were 3.68 GBP making a total of 18.99 GBP. So under Rs. 1400 for 6 BDs. Though as you can see I had to pay additionally Rs. 399 towards customs.

Compare that to prices of BDs in India of Rs. 900 for example of 3 Idiots.

The current price is still a good deal of 22.5 GBP (that includes VAT which is removed if you are going to it ship to India).

Back