PC Peripherals Power saving while downloading.

DCEite

Adept
Like most of you, i have the habit of leaving open downloads when i am not around or at night.
My question is, when i am downloading ONLY and doing nothing, which all devices i can set up in the BIOS to automatically switch off. I guess BIOS and Windows XP have provisions to turn off Hard disk, graphics card, monitor, DVDRW etc. etc. But the question is, which all devices on being switched off wont affect my downloads??

If WinXP turns off your hard disk - where will the download manager save the data onto? Graphics card, not sure if that would be possible. The Monitor can always be config'ed to go Idle/Off after x mins. But I guess thats about it.

The only other place where some reasonable power saving can be done is in the Proc area - and I guess Speedstep takes care of that.

duh!!as long as the computer is powered on the hard, the proc and the mobo cant be switched off, these are essentials of a computer just like the air you breathe...as long as we r alive , we need air!!! lol

HDD are just spinned down when not in use and the machine is completely idle. They cannot be completely stopped since its still in use. While downloading the HDD is actively in use and will not be even spinned down.

Hitachi have Advanced Power Management available for their HDDs... including slowing down the RPM - this is done with their utility Feature Tools. Here is a screenie of the options for Hitachi's APM ... I have never used this feature for my Hitachi HDDs. :)

if u really want to save power the best thing get good internet with high speed net.

i know it too costly right but i sure m end this year there more speed in less price

exactly how does having a faster connection reduce power consumption?

Allways remember one thing

DATA WILL ALLWAYS FILL THE AVAILABLE BANDWIDTH

helloo kumar what topic say Power saving while downloading.?

more download speed faster download less time taken to download file

silly

Back