[PR] ASUS RoG Vulcan ANC Gaming headset : Hands-on Preview

When ASUS first announced the RoG Vulcan Gaming headset back in 2011 I was really excited about the headphones looking at the design sheet and looking at their past records with Xonar sound cards , I knew it would be a quality product. Recently I got a chance to loan these RoG classified headset from Asus India for testing .Below are some pictures and hands-on preview of the headset.

R76ai.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS :

(as provided by Manufacturer).
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Driver: 40mm[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Impedance: 32 Ohm[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Frequency range: 10~20 KHz[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]ANC (active noise cancellation) performance: Maximum >15dB[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Effective Bandwidth >600 Hz[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]PNC (passive noise cancellation) performance: Maximum >30dB[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Battery life: Up to 40 hours (with one AAA battery)[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Dimension: 206mm x 196mm x 80mm (LxWxH)[/font]
  • [font=verdana,geneva]Weight: 325g[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva]UNBOXING & DESIGN[/font] :

UpVjG.jpg

NB667.jpg

The ANC-Vulcan comes in a nice black box with all the lettering and description in Silver-red combo . The front has an open window with velcro which opens to reveal the plush headphone case carrying the headset and a description of the headset design on the panel .

CksFw.jpg

10aF1.jpg

On opening the box , you find the beautiful headphone case with the evil RoG logo on it , neatly seated in the box . I really can't describe how amazing the headphone case is and it was pretty much one of the most exciting part of the package while testing these headphones . I loved the case so much , I wouldn't minding spending a good amount just on the case.

HyMhE.jpg

Anyways coming to the headset, once you open the box you find the folded and kept in the case. The headset cups fold towards the inside to make it completely portable and fit in the case.

The headset has a very attractive Black and Red colour combination along with some pseudo carbon-fiber finish on the sides . The black paint has a matte finish whereas the red plastic has a shiny and glossy finish .

VYhQs.jpg

The pleather ear-pads and headband of of high quality and soft enough to feel extremely comfortable . The headset as such does not add any pressure on the ears and sits very comfortably around the ears.

dAXRR.jpg

SaIIq.jpg

wuy0b.jpg

The hinges and internals of the headband for adjusting it's size are made up of metal which adds to the feel and looks of the headset and at the same time makes sure they are sturdy enough. Overall construction is better than average gaming headsets which are purely made out of cheap plastic to make it ultra light weight.Without the batteries the Vulcan too is quiet light weight but with the batteries it can get slightly on the heavier side.

hsO0h.jpg

lMckm.jpg

On the sides is the carbon fiber like finish along with RoG logo . On one side there is a small compartment to add the batteries for Active Noise Cancellation feature . On the bottom of other side are the ports for connecting the cable and the mic . Yes the headphones come with a detachable mic and cable so you don't have to worry about the headphones going kaput over the years due to the cable issues. The mic bends upto a certain angle for minor adjustments.

WQSFP.jpg

Overall the design of the ANC Vulcan headset is a little different than most gaming headsets and has that cool bling-factor that it will make sure the gamer gets all the needed attention from others at a Lan Party or a gaming event .Definitely one of the coolest looking headsets and especially with that mic they look more of like an aviator series headset.

SOUND QUALITY , PERFORMANCE :

I am no expert with gaming headsets as such and have tried a few models like the Steel Series Siberia ,5H V2, AD700 and Sennheiser 555 models etc which are most known among the Lan- gamer franterinity .

Having tested the headset over a limited period and across various platforms like Gaming ,Music as well as Movies , I an say that the Vulcan is more of an all rounder gaming headset.

Initial testing was done without the ANC feature since from my prior experience I have foun most noise-canceliing technologies to mess up with the sound reproduction of the headsets.

The bass on the Vulcan is not its strongest point . It has a decent punch and impact but not very strong or boomy . In a way its a plus point since it makes sure that the mids and treble are lot more clear and detailed but for those who love that oomph factor in their bass , the Vulcan lacks it .

It wont make vibrate on your ears during the bombings and all the blasts while playing COD or BF3 but it will provide you with a hint of impact and punch .

The midrange and treble is extremely well detailed and clear making every gun shot and conversations audible . Has a pretty good soundstage which gives a good sense of direction to the audio and you can make out when there is firing or conversation going on in the background or a room next door .

Even though the headsets are targetted towards gamers , I did try them out with some of my music and movies and found them to fair lot better than most gaming headsets which usually have a slight hollowness in the mids .

The Vulcan on the other hand sounds pretty fun with Music and movies .

Overall to sum it up , all I can say is they may not be the best high end gaming headsets made by Asus but they are pretty good with almost everything you throw at it .

With a price tag of about ~6k ,these are worth considering , especially if you love the bling looks
<

Click here to view the article

Congrats on getting to spend some time to get these for a shufti.

Nice pictures Sire and a good read, overall is it better than the SteelSeries Siberia headset OR Siberia owners don't need to sink in more cash to get this?

The price tag of 6k doesnt seems justified tbh.

The build quality is top notch, no complaints on that front, but i was disappointed that Asus should have tweaked the SQ just a tad bit, and these would have been an automatic purchase for me.

I like to have a decent bass in my speaker/headset and ANC seemed to have been economical on that dept. Bass def could have been better.

P.S: I checked sound with the on board soundcard when i noticed this lack of bass.

Notably, the microphone should have been provided with the option to bend it to certain degrees.

The mic stub is jutting out in front of you, when it should have been more towards your mouth. That was something which i noticed immediately. Just a minor change in design would have done the trick. A more round connecting joint would have allowed for the movement i desired for adjusting the position of the mic.

At 6-6.5k, i expected these issues to have been handled by Asus as its a well built set and being Asus’ first in-house designed gaming set, they have done the job very nicely..Gold plated connectors, detachable mic, good memory foamed padding etc.. but just that i expected these 2 issues to have been addressed. Hoping to see more such product from Asus in future.

8.4/10

#Spacescreamer , the microphone does bend slightly if you try to . Ofcourse should have been a little more flexible .

Regarding the bass I already mentioned , its actually a little low/ lacking with the punch . This could also be due to the way the headset sits / fits on the head without any pressure on the ears.

I had forgot to add a rating to it but if I have to it would actually be about 8/10 for the 6k price.

Anything under 5k for this would be the sweet spot ,IMO .

#ALPHA17 . I found them to be better than the old Steelseries Siberia which I had tried long back and better than the 5HV2 . I haven't tried the latest Siberia V2 which costs 7k+ so can't really say.

#m-jeri . I was indeed smitten by its look
<

Great read!!

Definitely agree on the Bass front. Though i did find the lows excessively lacking. More like bland or flat id say. I am using these with my Xonar DX. Upon hooking these up with the Essence STX, the SQ does improve by a lot! But that definitely is not is a very feasible option for a LAN gamer.

High are definitely well detailed, and are not the shrill types as on the 5HV2. Mids are decently balanced. but IMHO, not a very good headset for music.

Way better than the OG Siberia's but a notch under the Siberia V2's and the 7H as well. They both have a smooth response across the spectrum.

The Tritton AX180's on the other hand, are pretty strong with the lows. And for obvious reasons the mids are somewhat overshadowed. The mic is great and "Bends"
<
. But the build is not as impressive as the Vulans, nor is the presentation.

But the AX180's sound pretty darn fun! Specially when your listening to music (Pop, rap, hip hop etc.) and when your playing CSS, BF3, Crysis 2 annnndd COD!
<

Ultimately the decision comes down to choosing between the AX180's , being retailed @ 5.9 k (i think) and the Vulcans (6k?).

So i think it'll be much of a personal choice. But trust me when i say this, you really wont be able to nail a winner between the two.

But yeah one definite thing the AX180's have going for them is the full blown console compatibility. The mic and the headset works flawlessly with a PS3 and the XBOX 360 without any hassles. They come bundled with all the needed cabled/accessories.

And that is where the drawback lies, they cannot be used with any portable player, since the USB connector needs to be plugged in maybe for the Audio controller or for power. Cant really say.

Personally, since i really take cake of my headsets, ill side with the AX180's here.

Vulcans are good, but i really dont find the price justifiable. If a USB soundcard was bundled or something, maybe yeah things would have been different.

For me the Vulan's - 7/10 and the AX180's - 8.5/10

The very fact that AX180s have got some very basic shortcomings and still manages to outperform the ANC was what made me feel dejected. AX180 are not perfect or jack of all trade in the 3 dept of mid/highs/lows but vulcans didnt really outperformed it satisfactorily.

Vulcans are great in many aspects, The designing is very good.. material used is good grade, mic detachability, color combo, wearing comfort etc . If Only a few tweaks were made with the sound.

apart from everything else, the first things that catches attention from the mere corner of the eye is the unique look of the headset. great review faheem ! i was just discussing about the rumble feature (or rather, the absence of it in vulcan) with a forum-member a day back when i see this now. nice
<

Back