Prince of Persia Sands of Time Triology question -***SPOILER***

Just completed the POP Trilogy with Two Thrones. It was a truly amazing experience. Nice story, nice gameplay and a very satisfying ending.

But there is one thing i didn't understand. Who created the Sands of Time in first place?? The hourglass with Sands which we encounter in the first part, who created it ?

The series is about Prince correcting the mistakes that were caused due to the release of Sands. But the origin of sands is never explained. Also, the origin of Medallion and the Staff, which causes the user immunity from the effects of Sands.

dont know about who created the sands of time in the game series but if you have watched the movie pop sands of time - GOD created sands of time when he was destroying earth and when a small girl tried to save the earth by giving her own life - so she was given the dagger to turn back time :)

i hope you got it

The film's story is considerably different from the game. In the game Warrior Within the old man mentions that the Sands of Time were created on Island of Time by the Empress. But when the Prince reaches the Island of Time in the Past, he himself creates the Sands of Time by killing Kaileena (The Empress). There were no Sands of Time before the Empress died.

The game also mentions Medallion and Staff which protect the user from the effects of Sands.

It isn't explained anywhere. Not at least in the game AFAIK. The prince and his father, King Shahraman discovers the hourglass within the Maharajah's palace whom they defeat in the battle and they carry it along with them. The prince uses the dagger to release the sands from the hourglass which creates all the chaos and the trilogy. :p

Desecrator said:
It isn't explained anywhere. Not at least in the game AFAIK. The prince and his father, King Shahraman discovers the hourglass within the Maharajah's palace whom they defeat in the battle and they carry it along with them. The prince uses the dagger to release the sands from the hourglass which creates all the chaos and the trilogy. :p
In the beginning of Warrior Within, the Old Man says that the Maharaja "stole" the Sands from Island of Time. I mean how come Maharaja steal the sands. The Sands were created after Kaileena was killed, which means Maharaja killed Kaileena.

Is that not how it was explained in SOT?

And yeah, I do recall the cutscene wherein the old man says that the empress created it in WW though.

Desecrator said:
Is that not how it was explained in SOT?

And yeah, I do recall the cutscene wherein the old man says that the empress created it in WW though.
Nope, SOT does not shed any light on how the Sands were made. The Vizier wanted to open the sands to create an invincible army to rule.

There were only three people in SOT who were not affected by the Sands. Farah, who carried the Medallion, Prince, who had the Dagger, the Vizier who had the staff. The origin of these are also not explained.

sugat123 said:
Nope, SOT does not shed any light on how the Sands were made. The Vizier wanted to open the sands to create an invincible army to rule.

There were only three people in SOT who were not affected by the Sands. Farah, who carried the Medallion, Prince, who had the Dagger, the Vizier who had the staff. The origin of these are also not explained.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Prince of Persia Wiki

The plot explains it all. I played SOT about 6 years back. Can't seem to remember the entire plot though.

prashantrana said:
its quite an old one I don't remember much

you can find the plot here

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main Article

Prince of Persia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.... He believes that he has changed his fate, but another encounter with the Dahaka forces him to realize that in killing Kaileena, he was, in essence, the one to create the Sands of Time (as the Sands were created from her remains)........
That is in one timeline. But at the ending of Warrior Within, Prince kills Kaileena in present, so no sands, no dahaka and no incidents that occur in SOT. Or ,similarly, Prince saves Kaileena, again no sands, no incidents of SOT.

I want to know about the Sands in Hourglass which Prince first encounters in SOT in Maharaja's place, in that timeline Prince didnt knew what the sands were.

Don't overthink it too much. It's the same thing with all stories based around time-travel and it's a big part of their charm as there is no possible way to list the events chronologically since time itself isn't linear (the intro and epilogue to SoT sums this up perfectly).

It's like figuring out who came first, Kyle Reese or John Connor.
"A man could go crazy trying to think about this stuff." - Sarah Connor :p

Man, this trilogy had an amazing story. Specially the bits you mentioned about how the Prince himself was responsible for the creation of the sands after killing Kaileena. I had forgotten these details.

saumilsingh said:
Don't overthink it too much. It's the same thing with all stories based around time-travel.

the other day I was watching harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban

When harry is near the lake and the dementors are sucking his soul someone uses patronus charm and saves him, later on he finds out later that it was him. Now how does that happens in first place ?

^^ Actually, the examples of Terminator and Harry Potter are both based in a single timeline. The Harry and John Conner case is also present in POP. When Prince becomes a Sandwraith, he saves himself, it goes cyclical, so the confusion, but it is not the same situation as my question.

Doesn't the Prince travel to this island in Warrior Within to stop creation of sands and find Kaileena there? I think Kaileena is the one who creates sands and Dahaka is there to protect the sands. What do you say?

sugat is right ...its clearly explained in WW that the empress created sands of time....wan at the end the prince stopped the creation of sands of time ....but in two thrones when the empress of time was killed ( she had the power to create sands of time) the sands of time got unleashed (again) then

Back