OC & Modding Proper freq of PCIe slot

tirujitbasak

Disciple
The default freq of PCI E slot is 100MHz but will i get any boost in overclocking if I set it at a higher value like 110MHz .... or does it damage the card or the SATA hdd?.....
I just want to know .... plz enlighten me .....

It wont be able to provide any substantial performance increase if you change it to a higher value.. Also it won't be damaging the HDD by any means..

No, this wont help much, and avoid touching this value. Some cards may get spoiled/ misbehave.

Should not affect SATA/ HDD's though.

What do u aim to achieve by this?

For extreme benching it does help in stabilising the bclk and maybe get a few more, too high can corrupt or kill HDDs in some case.

Actually I oced my e6750 @ 3.0 but PCI e freq was set to auto
whenever I tried to lock it @ 100 MHz, system didnt boot with my saved settings default settings for bios was loaded :huh:
SO I am asking do I need to set it at higher freq .....
and I have a 9600GT....

BTW wats the link between pci-e frequency and harddiks? it has to deal only with the gfx card and slot frequency and not harddisk or any ide/sata ports.

After a lil bit googling I found somewhere that sata controler uses PCI e freq thats why higher PCI e freq damages sata hdds ...
correct me if I m wrong ....

thats nice find.
hmm now i m guessing are each components having tie up wih each other in bandwidth/power sharing?
it shud be in this way.
sata/ide/fdd sharing
pci n all slots sharing is ok

still they shud need to be independent atlist as per their functionalities.

sata port sharing with pci-ex sounds absolutely illogical coz sata is related to storage and data tranfers and pci just for display and video tranfers and so it shud have nothing to do with something regarding to graphics/video/display.

Still not getting why there can be conflict between them if we play with either of them..

ashish said:
sata port sharing with pci-ex sounds absolutely illogical coz sata is related to storage and data tranfers and pci just for display and video tranfers and so it shud have nothing to do with something regarding to graphics/video/display.

Still not getting why there can be conflict between them if we play with either of them..

PCI/ PCIE are just data buses, no link between them and video. Its the card that determines the data passing on the bus.

e. gfx card, rendering cards, audio card, USB extension card, SATA extender card, RAID card, TV Tuner card etc etc etc.

So changing this value can affect all your peripherals.

vinaycm said:
Also it won't be damaging the HDD by any means..

Totally wrong there! A value above 110 can most probably see you through dead HDDs. Dont believe me, you can try out for yourself if you've sufficient space to backup the data on any drive!

tirujitbasak said:
Is there any software to check the current value of PCI E freq?...

not from the bios ....

BIOS is the best available option but if you want something in windows then you can use the tuning or overclocking utilities which comes bundled with almost all motherboards. There you get to see detailed hardware info.

Further more use EVEREST Ultimate Edition or SiSoft sandra.

Google around to download then.

Back