PS3: HDMI to DVI-D issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poga

Disciple
So my dad got a PS3slim 250GB version.
And I own a Dell 2208 WFP.
Ovbviosly I need to see how they mate.
2208WFP has VGA and DVI-D inputs. The cable supplied with the monitor is DVI-D single link.
I bought a HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link cord. (The shopkeeper says there is no cable as HDMI to DVI single link).
Now the problem: I connected it to the monitor (nothing happened) then I connected it to LCD TV and monitor simultaneously and set video out to HDMI and voila 1080p & i display on my Dell monitor. Peculiar thing is that when I removed the composite (AV) video wire from the TV, the monitor displa also goes! I can plug the video wire into any av (sound out, video in, audio l & r in) and video shows but as soon as i disconnect it : kaput!:ashamed:
I have currently connected my monitor to ext. TV tuner via VGA and PS3 via HDMI to DVI-D and its working. Only when i play a movie DVD, the screen goes blank.
I am new to the world of PS3 and its a scarily confusing place. My PS2 was so simple.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Okay...the movie playback problem is sorted. All I had to do was stop output in 1080p res.
Anyone can suggest anyway I can use my monitor without connecting video out to another source?

Your post is extremely confusing can you please rephrase it? How have you connected the PS3 to your Dell Monitor all you have to do is connect your hdmi to ps3 and dvi end to monitor and you should be getting the display.

I connected it to the monitor (nothing happened) then I connected it to LCD TV and monitor simultaneously and set video out to HDMI and voila 1080p

1. ???? What did you connect where which wire? How are you connecting to the Monitor and LCD TV simultaneously ?? If you connected both the RCA and the HDMI, and set the PS3 to display thru HDMI it will do so and will NOT display via RCA as well. You are doing something wrong or explaining it worng here itself.

As far as I can tell right now you have the following connections:

1. PS3 to monitor via HDMI-DVI D cable

2. TV Tuner via VGA

3. PS3 to LCD TV via RCA.

Whats the use of the 3rd connection?

Remove the TV Tuner cable from the monitor and only use the HDMI -DVI D cable

Configure the PS3 to use HDMI, and don't connect it to the TV Tuner again, also dont connect the LCD TV either.

If your monitor is HDCP compatible which it should be since you are able to play Movies on it using the PS3,

it should all work fine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back