PS3 - too slow

Rico

Rico Unchained
Adept
hi

(Little long post Please bare with me.Thanks for reading.)

Yesterday after a month switched on the PS3 for COD Black ops 2. but unfortunately Got his error

"The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to try to restart the system” . Pls refer the screenshot (taken from internet not mine).

Pfix-cannot-run-correctly-error-800x800.jpg

*It's the same error except the firmware was 3.55.

I have put the PS3 in safe mode (hold power button until 3 beeps PS3 shuts off and hold again until 2 beeps and 3&4 short consecutive beeps)
I did formatted the HDD and installed OFW 3.55 , the installation and boot was slow.
Even the XMB icons and names loading was too slow too about 10 mins ...

Updated the FW to Rogero 4.30 , instructions from *PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread*
Rogero 4.30 was successfull ,but unable to install MultiMan
*multiMAN ver 04.16.00 BASE CEX (20121214)*
*multiMAN ver 04.16.00 BASE DEX (20121214)*

there was some error with number , did not note that down.

Tried my luck again with *multiMAN ver 04.14.00 BASE CEX (20121128)* . The file placed in XMB is for installation , named as *corrupted file* or *file corrupted*.
ignored the multiMAN as of now.

Tried to fix the slow running PS3 with these options

1)Restore default settings - Went well

2)Restore file system - frozen at 99% - killed the power supply and second time still took lot time but completed.

3)Restore Database - At present , this is taking too long to complete and running very slow (started to restore DB by 4:30PM , @ 6:30PM still it's at 21%)

Did a little bit of google everything points to Bad HDD , some say dust accumulated inside PS3 over the processor fan , no ventilation etc.

Does this all mean my HDD has become bad and unusable ?
Will changing the HDD will turn out to be good ?
or it's different problem all together.

Looking for some pointer / insight to make my PS3 usuable without HDD change or in worst case to change it..

PS - My PS is out of warranty.

Definitely HDD problem. I wouldn't stress the hdd if i were you. It's probably on it's last legs so u might want to backup whatever you can. Don't know how you would be able to do that though since most things on the PS3 are encrypted.

Most 2.5" HDD should do. If you have a spare external hard disk, you can remove the external casing and plug in the internal drive.

Do some research before buying a drive for your PS3. Not all HDD models work well with the PS3. Make sure you find out from others about which models have been proven to work with the PS3. Also there can be differences between the older PHAT and the newer SLIM models as far as the drives that they can handle.

Satan said:
Oh and on another note, for everyone trying to upgrade your PS3's HDDs, it's not as simple as swapping the existing one with a new one. I bumped mine up with a 640 gig drive and it slowed to a crawl. The audio from all the games was out of sync, video was choppy; hell even the XMB was slow and stuttering.

Turns out the PS3 doesn't like 4k Sector Drives. You guys might want to do your research before you pick up a new drive to replace your PS3's internal drive.

I can confirm the BPVT model was used by one of my friend in his PS3. I'm not sure about the dimensions though. Why not compare the specification over the Internet?

I did ,WD website lists - BPVT as 9.6 mm. But the ones listed in FK is given as LPVT/BPVT for the same product. Same link as above.
Tried WIKI too but no info on the sizes for 2.5mm.

- - - Updated - - -

Seagate Momentus is 9.5mm but only 1 year warranty.
http://www.flipkart.com/seagate-momentus-320-gb-laptop-internal-hard-drive-st9320325as/p/itmd2rynfw3f6d4x?pid=IHDD2RYNFR24BDFC&ref=25d10851-d3c7-4a72-9e78-dfe704042830&srno=t_1&otracker=from-search&query=st9320325as

I beleive the 6.8mm should fit the HDD metal bracket in PS3. Only concern being will the HDD SATA port will fix correctly into the PS3.

Update - Replaced PS3 Hard drive. It's up and running Rogero 4.30 v2.03 . :yahoo:
The installation went super smooth.
Thanks dinjo Satan Ethan_Hunt for the help.

HDD - WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB Laptop Internal Hard Drive (WD5000BPVT)

Back