PC Peripherals PSU Confusion

Rahul

Skilled
After getting a new comp ..... i left with no money for PSU so i used mine old powersafe 500 but it is not enuf for power need of mine comp ..... 12v rail is dropping to 11.40-11.25 in max load (while plying BF2 and other games) ...

so i need a new PSU but i am too confused ..... i decided about TP550(i will take it as last option as price is a little bit high for me) ...... then i seen reviews of zebby 520w and 640w and they also looked nice with lesser price ......

so guys tell me which one will be good

requirments

good 12v rails (dual or single doesn't matter to me)
good no of molex connectors
good airflow(sound doesn't matter to me until it is alarming)
warranty
i don't need modular or sleeved
sud have PCI-E graphics card connector
24 pin main connector

that all i can remember ......
anyways warranty is not a major issue if i can get a better PSu without warranty i will take it

so wat u all say .....

actually i will be selling mine powersafe 400w and put this 500w into the second rig ...... anyways when i will selll it will let u know .....

I suggest you go for Antec TP2550EPS, but it comes with only 5 molexen.
Even NeoPower 480W should be enough, if you don't do SLi. If you want something
cheaper, Smart Power 2.0 500W (modular) ain't bad.

wat is the difference between the smart power and true power series .... wat is the price of the smart power 500w ..... can some one tell me the specification as antec india site is having very old specification and i can't find any smartpower 2.0 500 there

Sm2.0 500 seems nice to me ....guys any comments how will that for mine comp and OCing coz becase of this PSU i can't push mine processor further .... without 7800GTX i was able to reach 2.9ghz with 1.55v but with it max stable i can go is 2.7Ghz .... this is also one of the reasons to change mine PSu ....

wat about zebby PSU's any commments will be helpful ....

PM Deejay and request him to check this thread!!:)
he just bought himself TP2.0 550 coz he's fed up waiting for a couple of PSUs in the US to be delivered to him!!:eek:hyeah:
The Mad Scientist:cool2: knows his PSUs well and he can surely help you a lot on making the right choice!!:eek:hyeah: :hap2:

The Zebby's are somewhat cheaper, but there have been mixed responses. As such, i'd say it would be safer to invest in the Antec.

Not sure how the Smartpower stacks up to the Truepower series, but they are decent enough as well. The TruePower 2.0 480W costs around ~ 5K. Not exactly essential to get the EPS version of the TP-2.0 550W, just that some of the newer DFI boards like the Crossfire are using the EPS connector.

Eazy had put up a list of Vantec stuff : http://www.techenclave.com/forums/found-some-nice-hardware-14540.html

The Vantec ION2 460W is listed at Rs. 3750/- , which seems like a good price. However it has a single 12V rail @ 30A. NO dual 12v rails.

Not much! There's an ongoing debate on the whole dual-rail issue. In fact, if
the power distribution among the rails isn't correct, you're better off with a
single rail design. Dual-rail model was basically designed for the EPS standard,
which found its place in ATX arena too, after a few 'innovations' like SLi.

The truth is: as long as your single-rail PSU supplies decent Amps to the system,
there's nothing to worry about. IMHO, there are more design issues and
severe compatibility problems associated with multiple-rail design than their
single-rail counterparts.

^ Agree with Yamaraj.

AFAIK, Dual rails were implemented from an electrical safety standpoint as well. Having say 30Amps running through a single 12V rail is a whole 360W. Splitting it up into dual rails of 15A + 15A means a more reasonable 180W passing through each 12V rail.

Another was the power quality aspect. Having a single 12V rail dedicated to the CPU rail, and the other 12V rail dedicated to other 12v devices (fans, hard disks, optical drives) gives electrical noise isolation to the CPU line. So any disturbances in power introduced by other 12V devices does not affect the CPU's 12V line.

The downside to all this is, the power usually cannot be shared between dual 12V rails. Hence assuming your CPU has used up its entire 15A quota on the 1st 12V line (15A is just an assumption, the amps varies from model to model), and the 2nd 12V line is using only a mere 3A of its allocated 15A it still cannot share its reserve 12A power with the 1st 12V line.

So even though the overall sum of amperage on models with dual-12V rails is pretty high compared to models with single 12V lines, you have to keep an eye on the amps provided on individual rails of a dual-rail PSU.

okie guys ..... here is the choices as said by u .......

antec TP550

antec TP480

antec SM500 2.0

guys please guide me about the models as TP550 is having two models like one is EPS and another is not ...... i have a very little knowledge about PSU's :) ..... and deejay will love to see ur comments as u are having a TP550 .....

EPS will have a 8pin 12V connector instead of the normal 4pin ones in normal PSUs...EPS is meant for servers basically

SunnyBoi said:
EPS will have a 8pin 12V connector instead of the normal 4pin ones in normal PSUs...EPS is meant for servers basically
It generally does have the 4pin ATX connector as well ;). Unless u are using a DFI NF4 Expert or RDX board, you don't need EPS.

Back