Purchases This Month (Dial-Up Users Beware)

Bought all this gear so far:

Zotac GTX 280

Box

IMG_0811.jpg

Contents

IMG_0814.jpg

Le Card

IMG_0820.jpg

A size comparison (with my previous video card)

IMG_0822.jpg

Initial impressions:-
This thing is HUGE. I had trouble fitting it into my mid-tower case. It's almost an inch longer than the 4870. Thankfully, the connectors are facing the side panel of my cabby instead of facing the hard drives, otherwise it would have been a b!tch to actually fit it in. Required one 6-pin and one 8-pin power connector and of course, 2 slots on my cabby. Got GRID free with it as well; which is fairly useless since I don't like racing games, but heck, it's a free game! How cool is that? :D

The card runs pretty cool at idle (around 53C) and under load hits mid-70's.. Of course, I haven't really been able to tax the card to the limit just yet (I'm currently on a 7-year old 17" CRT lol, waiting for my new display to get delivered). The card is a fair bit more noiseless than my 4870, I can barely hear the card either while gaming or doing general stuff. Ran every game I threw at it at the highest settings. Yet to try Crysis, but I'm putting that bit off because I don't wanna get depressed.. You know how it is, you buy a fast card which runs every game with everything turned on and ol' Crysis comes along and makes it weep.. Don't want to break the card's spirit :rofl:

MX518

IMG_0844.jpg

Well, what's to say? It's a mouse. It's a fair sight better than my previous one (a Microsoft Basic Optical lol) and looks much cooler too :D

Altec Lansing MX5021

Teh Box:

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

Unboxing:

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

The Satellites:

IMG_0861.jpg

Much bigger than what I expected them to be. Really stylish finish, but the body appears to be a fingerprint magnet. Also they don't have a wide base, so they can very easily be knocked down.

The rest of the stuff:

IMG_0865.jpg

Includes a neat little wired controller for adjusting volume, bass and treble as well as a nifty little remote with the same adjustment options, and a cloth to wipe smudges on the speakers; among other things. Have to say, I really like Altec Lansing's commitment to making life easier for the customer; you'd have thought that they would have been elitist snobs who would put out really good speakers but skimp on the little details such as this.

Last but definitely not the least, the Massive Sub-woofer:

IMG_0879_rotated.png

Make no mistake, this thing is BIG. No ifs or buts about it. Weighs about 10 kilos too.

Performance-wise, the speakers can be described in one word: AWESOME. The satellites produce crisp and clear sound, and the woofer makes every bass line in every song I hear and every explosion in every action film I see come through very clearly. Listened to some bass-heavy Iron Maiden records like Dance of Death and was pleased with what I heard. Then watched the 720p version of The Dark Knight (the truck flip sequence sent chills up my spine). Concluded with about an hour of playing Mirror's Edge, a game with a very good soundtrack. The bass is quite tight and accurate, and packs quite a punch without sounding loose or excessively boomy. Which makes me think that the guys who thought these speakers lacked bass have either A) a defective model B) improper placement of the subwoofer or C) an ear infection that prevents them from hearing properly. I kept the sub below my computer table and in the corner of the room, and I get enough bass out of it to satisfy all my lewd urges.

Well, that's about it. Coming from generic Labtec budget speakers, these have been a huge step-up for me. I am enjoying these speakers even with my computer's onboard audio, although sidhu's urging me to buy a soundcard as soon as possible :p . The audio quality is awesome, bass is full and packs quite a thump and the slick looks would grab anyone's attention.

Well, that's all folks. Thanks for listening in. :D

congratulations on the awesome purchases :) really good choices.

which LCD are you getting ? ..

techster said:
Then watched the 720p version of The Dark Knight (the truck flip sequence sent chills up my spine).:D

couldnt resist from typing this--

same here ...when i saw that truck flipping scene while watching the dark knight full HD rip .. i was like OMG ..

everytime any of friends wants to checkout the real power of MX 5021 i just show him the truck flipping thread :eek:hyeah:

MX 5021's are really awesome ..me too in love with them.

planning to do some justice to them by getting a decent SQ.

the Sub produces real tight and room shaking bass.have to agree on that. the lows are just perfect !

by the way dont you feel the treble to be a bit overpowered and sharp at times in some tracks ?

i mean at times i do feel the mids getting lost between the lows and highs.

anyways enjoy :hap2:

MX5021 is a good choice nearly six months ago one of my friend bought it for 6.8K in Chennai.it's really a good choice. Have fun

demigod.

Thanks a lot guys :)

FaH33m said:
congratulations on the awesome purchases :) really good choices.
which LCD are you getting ? ..

I'm getting a 2209WA. Going to take a little while getting here though, hopefully Rockfella's placed my order today.

couldnt resist from typing this--
same here ...when i saw that truck flipping scene while watching the dark knight full HD rip .. i was like OMG ..
everytime any of friends wants to checkout the real power of MX 5021 i just show him the truck flipping thread :eek:hyeah:

MX 5021's are really awesome ..me too in love with them.
planning to do some justice to them by getting a decent SQ.

the Sub produces real tight and room shaking bass.have to agree on that. the lows are just perfect !
by the way dont you feel the treble to be a bit overpowered and sharp at times in some tracks ?
i mean at times i do feel the mids getting lost between the lows and highs.
anyways enjoy :hap2:

Man, the part in which the Tumbler comes thundering down the tunnel and hits one of the trucks full on and rams it into the roof of the tunnel.. My god, that scene seriously made me nearly wet myself; it felt so real! Even the parts in which the epic soundtrack kicks in, it sounds simply amazing. I knew after seeing that scene that I had bought the right pair of speakers, even if they cost me more than some 5.1 systems available right now.

The sub that comes with these speakers is really great. I needed tight bass because I listen to a lot of heavy metal and rock. So a sub-woofer which would go BOOM but not reproduce all the bass riffs accurately would have been entirely useless for me. After reading some reviews online I was initially scared that the woofer included would not pack a punch but luckily, it's just about the perfect sub-woofer for me. The treble is a little high by default; it gives an artificial quality to the vocals sometimes. But this is easily fixed by adjusting the treble knob on the controller.

Anyway, thanks for taking interest in the thread. ;)

Back