CPU/Mobo Q9550 Heating Up

Hi All,

Just upgraded my rig to a Q9550 on a Giga EP45-UD3P and landed in a problem. The CPU runs constantly runs at 55+ temp not sure what the issue is. I am using the stock cooler provided by Intel. I need your suggestion is getting it down. My questions are

1. Is this normal given that, the temperature I am quoting is when I am running my system without any load (normal desktop no OC not much background processing). Also found the temp to be at 60 in the BIOS when I was just powering the PC on.

2. Would you suggest a different cooler / Thermal Paste to bring it down? If yes, Please suggest the best thats available in Techshop (Got a coupon from them which is to be used).

Thanks in advance for your response :)

Buy SCCF, u can easily OC the CPU on that awesome mobo. Jusify the mobo and chip. Thermal grease etc u will get with SCCF.

ya avoid the core contact freezer.....:no:
there was also thread started by a member....

the cooler is so big that it'll interfere with the northbridge heat sink

Temps seem high for the stock. Check cabby airflow and proper hsf contact. Spend only if u're going to OC or if your ambients are also quite high.

Temps seems to be on the higher side!

Try these:

1. Remove the stock cooler, clean the stock goop with some IPA or acetone and apply a drop of AC MX-2 (alternately Tuniq TX-2 if that's available with the Techshop! Costs 150 bucks) in the centre of the IHS.

2. Get an aftermarket cooler. The SCCF and the TRUE costs almost the same. I say get the TRUE. Buy a good medium-cfm 120mm fan to pair with it.

Quads benefit from TRUE unlike HDT-tech coolers like the CCF.

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I shall try reseating the stock cooler once again! Just to keep everyone posted I am using a Antec 900 with an additional cooler (apart from the provided 4) on the side panel....Will check the ventilation bit too...:) I put my bet on the stock cooler installation...I have my own questions there :)

Check if the stock cooler is seated properly, that's most likely the problem.
Make do with thermal paste till you get an aftermarket cooler. I recommend OCZ Vendetta 2.

^ Vendetta 2 is very close, some reviews rated it better also.

TRUe120

PROs - King of air cooling, Luxury of push pull configuration, Backplate secure mounting.

CONs - Heavy, Can bend mobo also, crap fan clips, Expensive 2.9k~ + fan cost.

Other thoughts - Prone to rusting/flakes, Uneven surface (lottery), U may have to washer mod, lap etc etc.

Vendetta 2

PROs - Based on proven Xigmatek S1283 design so no compatibility issue w/ allmost all mobo's (edge over SCCF, Thermalright/Xigmatek backplate mounting works on this), Cheap (2.4k w/ 120mm fan @ ebay), 1 of top 5 heatsinks currently, rubber grip fan mounting.

CONs - Plastic Push pins, bundled thermal paste is silicon white goop.

I have Vendetta 2 also.

krishna_chennai said:
Ok...I might order a Cooler...Which is the best Vendetta or TRUE???

PS: TRUE out of stock with TechShop :(

See if Rahul @ The IT Wares has the TRUE in stock. If so, ask him if he's comfortable putting up the item on ebay! Get it off via the 15% coupon. :p

Get an Amigo 120 mm fan; snip those ghey LEDs off and pair it with the TRUE. Good enough.

@Sidhu: Those reviews which compared the Vendetta 2 with the TRUE; please dont include Frostytech in the list if that was the case!

Yes, I like only Hardware Canucks reviews now, reviews done by members (like TE) not hired professional.

Acc. to them, Vendetta 2 w/ Noctua NF-P12-1300 fan is 3-4c cooler than Xigmatek S1283 @ Q6600 1.45v LOAD.

q6600_load34TWOFAN.jpg

A high performance fan certainly does make this impressive cooler into a real 100% Arse Kicker! At stock speeds the NF-P12 was able to drop the average load temperature by 1.9° C, this is better than what the reference design S1283 was able to do. But, the real story is the OC average load reduction of 2.1°C.

OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler Review - Page 11 - Hardware Canucks

OCZ Vendetta 2 is a refined S1283 cooler, same design.

Pros:
- Great Cooling Performance (near water cooling levels!)
- Quiet fan
- HDT base works as advertised
- Great price
- Tool-less installation

Cons:
- Fan installation issues

@ OP - Rahul has TRUe120 in stock.

Heya...Thanks a lot for the advice! I am ordering a vendetta as I need to buy something from Techshop...FYI. the CPU temp has gone up to 70 as I type now...Need to have some thing really good and strong :)

i was in same boat lil similar to ur config.... you can see it in end of my message

i chose cooler master and now am around 43-44...

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice on V2...It is amazing...The temps dropped by 10c minimum on every core....Unfortunately the cololer is so big that I had to let go my Sunbeam 110mm additional fan I had installed in my Antec 900....

Back