Query about Sharp Inverter AC and Daikin Inverter AC

Wanna buy a new AC for the bed room. Length 12 ft, Breadth 12 ft, Hight 9 ft. For the given size of the room will it be ok to go for 1 ton AC instead of 1.5 ton? The room is not directly towards sunlight and is at the 1st floor of 5 storied building.
Sharp Inverter Model XP13SHV AC runs at 13000 BTU. Which they are saying 1.1 Ton. Daikin I am not sure of the brand or ton.
There is another option to go for LG Inverter V, 1 Ton Model No: LG USUQ126B4A3, in similar price range of Sharp.

Last edited:
"Capacity: The capacity of the air conditioner should be considered depending on the floor size of the room for which the AC is required. A rough measure states that an area in range of 120 ~140 Sq. ft. area will need 1 ton, 150 ~180 Sq. ft. area will need 1.5 ton and 180 ~240 Sq. ft. area will need 2 ton cooling capacity air –conditioner."
http://indianexpress.com/article/te...elect-the-right-ac-for-your-home-this-summer/

Since op is on first floor, and no direct sunlight, I would suggest 1.2 ton , and also 25/30% lower power consumption.

Thank you for the reply.
I am from Bangladesh. Many brands available in India not available here. :(
Anyways looking for this one also as an option..
Whirlpool 3D Cool AC 1.5 Ton (5 star rating).
Would this be better than the sharp J tech Inverter one? which is 1.1 ton.
room size is 144 Sq Ft. The capacity calculator Provided in Sharp and Whirlpool websites suggests me 1 Ton is sufficient.

1 Ton would be just on boundary level. Better to get 1.2T. It would cool room faster and would run at lesser load for lesser time.

Hi!
Do not buy an Oversized AC for your room.

Many will advise you that a 1.5 ton AC will cool your room faster and will save some bucks in your electricity bill. Yes, it is true that your room will be cooled faster. But how about humidity control?

I am not sure about your location, but if you are from a humid part of the map, you will end up uncomfortable in your bed room. No sales man will tell you this (just because they don't have a clue).

AC should cool the air in the room and at the same time should remove moisture/humidity from the air. Have you seen the water dripping from the outdoor units of ACs? That is nothing but the indoor moisture removed. When you run the AC, it cools the air up to the set temperature and shuts off the compressor. In order for ACs to start removing the moisture, it should function at least for 25 minutes in a stretch before shutting down. Now if your AC is oversized, the set temperature will be reached in less than 15 minutes and the AC will not get a chance to lower the humidity.

The result? You will feel uncomfortable at night and will have a bad sleep.

So, make sure you just get the right sized (not less, not more) AC for your bedroom.

I think a 1ton AC will just be perfect for your need.

^^ won't bigger ACs have bigger dehumidifiers? i don't know. logically they should, otherwise how would they cater to large areas?
I don't know, but with his logic, if the area is large, AC also will run for longer time and hence dehumidifies.

OTOH, larger AC's do have bigger dehumidifier and so work without any issues, as per logic.

we need an AC expert. I summon @Superbad

^^ that's just same text as Vivek mentioned. need to find out technical info.

i've read a lot in AC ads that some of their models quickly dehumidify the room, which brings instant relief to the user. this means that the unit is substantially larger to quickly re-circulate the air. i don't know how much truth is there in such claims as they don't mention other technical specs, apart from the usual ratings.

also, larger units would have separate function to run on dehumidify-only mode. an AC is after all, a glorified dehumidifier. perhaps, better/expensive units have an option to set humidity level, so it doesn't matter if the AC runs for 15 mins or 25. i have an exhaust fan in bathroom which runs automatically after humidity exceeds certain level. so, having a similar feature in ACs is not unimaginable.

i am not advocating to buy a larger unit... just posting some theories until i win a lottery to buy couple of ACs to experiment with :p[DOUBLEPOST=1460724382][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT: forgot to mention that this whole issue of humidity and on-off cycle is handled pretty well by inverter ACs. they provide ultimate comfort but at a cost.

Last edited:
just posting some theories
:mad:

Okay now I am wondering if I made a mistake buying larger one. I ordered 2Ton Ac (cooling capacity 6000W) and its not shipped yet. So I can cancel if its too big. Following are the room specs:

Specs:
  • Room dimensions: 10.8 ft (width) * 22.4 ft (length) * 11ft (height)
  • Temperatures: In day time it will be 42-43C and during nights will be 32-33C. In day time I may use for 1-2 hours and set the temps to 29-30C. And in nights, temps will be 26-27C.
  • Only one south facing wall is uncovered.
  • Room has no glass windows.
  • 60% of the room has a room above it and other 40% has a shed. So I guess its covered and no direct sunlights hits the roof.
  • Number people - 2
  • Other details: At the center of room, there is an arch (like this) of width/thickness 2.3ft and it covers about 4-5ft from top.

@Vivek J and @adder can you help

Last edited:
Also for dry climates even a big air cooler also works if you want a temperature of 26 to 29c.
Here in bangalore we use both air cooler for daytime and a air conditioner for night time.Since its not feasable for me to cool the entire house economicaly with a air conditioner.If one is in a shut room you cant hear the delivery guys or the postman or the burgular.

The industrial type air cooler we use drops the temperature to 29c when the outside ambient temperature is about 38 to 40c.But a human will feel it even cooler because the water evaporates on our skin.If we use that same big air cooler for a smaller room like 130sqft the temperature can be as low as 25c .
In the night as humidity increase air cooler is useless, unless you are directly in the path of the air. Hence we use air conditioner at night.

Last edited:
Th
Hi!
Do not buy an Oversized AC for your room.

Many will advise you that a 1.5 ton AC will cool your room faster and will save some bucks in your electricity bill. Yes, it is true that your room will be cooled faster. But how about humidity control?

I am not sure about your location, but if you are from a humid part of the map, you will end up uncomfortable in your bed room. No sales man will tell you this (just because they don't have a clue).

AC should cool the air in the room and at the same time should remove moisture/humidity from the air. Have you seen the water dripping from the outdoor units of ACs? That is nothing but the indoor moisture removed. When you run the AC, it cools the air up to the set temperature and shuts off the compressor. In order for ACs to start removing the moisture, it should function at least for 25 minutes in a stretch before shutting down. Now if your AC is oversized, the set temperature will be reached in less than 15 minutes and the AC will not get a chance to lower the humidity.

The result? You will feel uncomfortable at night and will have a bad sleep.

So, make sure you just get the right sized (not less, not more) AC for your bedroom.

I think a 1ton AC will just be perfect for your need.

Thank you for providing your valuable insight.
Bought Sharp J Tech Inverter Model XP13SHV AC ( BTU 13000, 1.1 Ton) for the bed room. At 1st thought for the given room size may be the unit is small but its performing quite well as per expectation. It has quite unique features as per brochure in both safety department and performance wise. Using the Jet mode for around 20-30 min at first then switch to eco mode keeping the temperature at 24 degree through out the night. Will know for sure how much electricity is saved by the end of the month than the non inverter model in other room :D

:mad:

Okay now I am wondering if I made a mistake buying larger one. I ordered 2Ton Ac (cooling capacity 6000W) and its not shipped yet. So I can cancel if its too big. Following are the room specs:

Specs:
  • Room dimensions: 10.8 ft (width) * 22.4 ft (length) * 11ft (height)
  • Temperatures: In day time it will be 42-43C and during nights will be 32-33C. In day time I may use for 1-2 hours and set the temps to 29-30C. And in nights, temps will be 26-27C.
  • Only one south facing wall is uncovered.
  • Room has no glass windows.
  • 60% of the room has a room above it and other 40% has a shed. So I guess its covered and no direct sunlights hits the roof.
  • Number people - 2
  • Other details: At the center of room, there is an arch (like this) of width/thickness 2.3ft and it covers about 4-5ft from top.

@Vivek J and @adder can you help
Before buying I went through different websites that provides calculator for calculating the BTU or Tonnage you need for the room. Wirldpool, Sharp, LG website has the calculator. Another website in India is bijlibachao https://www.bijlibachao.com they also provide valuable information and calculation considering different variables. e.g. I have given the screen shot of the calculation for my room. Selected Delhi due to similarity in temperature with Dhaka.
AC Calculator.png

Back