Query concerning backup of HDD

ev1lb0ygen1us

Adept
How to create backup in dvd of the entire HDD (500GB). Suggest me the software for that. Does craeting backup require more than 1 DVD (for 500GB).
thanx in advance

:rofl: :rofl:

1 DVD = ~4488mb

500GB HDD = ~465GB real = 476160mb

476160 (divided by) 4488 (equal to) ~107 DVD's

P.S. - In storage media 1KB = 1000bytes, 1MB = 1000kb, 1GB = 1000mb

You'll be better off buying an external hard disk and copying everything to it instead! 107 dvds! :p Even if you go dual layer it'll be nearly 55 discs :p

If you have a DVD Writer then 107 DVDs would work out cheaper at Rs. 13 per blank DVD. Even a 500 GB HDD especially an external one will cost a lot more.

Also, if the HDD goes all data is lost. With DVDs you stand to lose only 4.37GB of data with each DVD. I of course have all content on my HDDs and also back them up in DVDs so I have two backups of all my content.

If he has a copy on his internal disk and another on the external he'll have two copies as well. Besides, having so many dvd's is cumbersome .. unless you need something to do all day!

BTW .. scratched dvd's ftw :p

focus on the data you need to really backup & use tools to archive them off. else use something like ghost or acronis true image and back up an entire partition or hdd. they even split the backup into 4.7 gb files so that you can burn to dvd easily.

Happy Burning :p

Back