Question on warranty of second hand goods

Hi,
i just want to get some feedback here on warranty issues of second hand items.

A lot of times things here are sold with balance warranty and a normal 4-7 day testing warranty is provided by all sellers, unless otherwise mentioned.

Is a seller responsible to replace or RMA an item that fails after 6 months of use? isnt that why copies of purchase bills are provided so that the purchaser has the balance warranty and should attempt to avail of it himself.

I can understand if someone is in the outskirts or in a village where getting to a particular manufacturer is not possible and the seller does it for him, but thats an exception and not a norm.

A lot of times guys will re-sell an item saying it was purchased form so and so member here, that is also incorrect because once its been sold to someone else, no one really knows if its in the same condition it was originally purchased or not.

i just hope i am not rambling out here...but these things niggle at me and i think there should be some clarification on what the norm is.

thanks
Vivek

imo there is no norm and its up to the goodwill of the seller whether he wants to help the buyer with rma after a certain period or not.in most cases it would help if you clearly state your intentions during the sale itself so that there is no confusion.

But still, the seller should give some days of testing warranty since its second hand. In my opinion, it should be a norm to show the working of the product (if possible) before selling and 3-4 days as testing warranty rather then considered as goodwill.

7 days of testing warranty is normally understood as long as the purchaser does not overclock or misuse the product.

I think the issue here is that the buyers will not even attempt to go to the local computer market or try and find out if the dealer / distributer of that particuar product is available in their city.

I am interested in hearing more opinions against or for this.
Vivek

I think unless the seller absolutely states at the time of the sale that he will help with warranty issues, the entire responsibility for claiming warranty will be with the purchaser.

Back