Questions about read/write cycles of a ssd

Hi,

I have read several times that if a person is adding ssd in his/her pc/laptop then it is recommended that games etc. are installed in the hdd itself as ssd's have limited read/write cycles. Say there is a m.2 nvme ssd in a system and then a 2.5" ssd is added as a secondary drive, then do the games etc. need to be installed in the 2.5" sata ssd? Is this only applicable for games only? If the limit of these read/write cycles is passed and the ssd goes kaput then is it still covered under warranty? For normal day to day tasks, how long does a ssd last on an average? Yes the last one is a stupid question, sorry.

Thanks

Last edited:
This advise was only applicable for the first generation of SSD. With today's SSD, you can't practically run out of read/write cycles unless you are running a data center or crypto mining.

So don't worry. Use the fastest drive for your games.

This advise was only applicable for the first generation of SSD. With today's SSD, you can't practically run out of read/write cycles unless you are running a data center or crypto mining.

So don't worry. Use the fastest drive for your games.
Sir how to find out if the ssd/nvme is gen 2 or 1? For today's drives what are the read/write cycles on an average?
Also how to find if the ssd is having dram or not?

Hi,

I have read several times that if a person is adding ssd in his/her pc/laptop then it is recommended that games etc. are installed in the hdd itself as ssd's have limited read/write cycles. Say there is a m.2 nvme ssd in a system and then a 2.5" ssd is added as a secondary drive, then do the games etc. need to be installed in the 2.5" sata ssd? Is this only applicable for games only? If the limit of these read/write cycles is passed and the ssd goes kaput then is it still covered under warranty? For normal day to day tasks, how long does a ssd last on an average? Yes the last one is a stupid question, sorry.

Thanks
I think you will find such suggestions only from 7-8 years ago. The initial SSDs were on SATA II, so were not much faster than HDD with cache, had limited capacity and were very expensive. Endurance would probably have been better than current disks as they used SLC initially.

Now, it makes no sense to use HDD over SSD unless you are short of space in which case people move stuff between HDD and SSD. You can see the remaining life in % in CrystalDiskInfo or HWInfo along with exact TBW written till date.

Where does it show the remaining life info?
Screenshot_1.jpg

I think you will find such suggestions only from 7-8 years ago. The initial SSDs were on SATA II, so were not much faster than HDD with cache, had limited capacity and were very expensive. Endurance would probably have been better than current disks as they used SLC initially.
I have an Intel X25-M G1 80GB SSD from 2009. It's MLC based and SATA2 but still much faster than an HDD in random I/O speeds which is what matters. Still working fine with 85% health remaining.

@t3chg33k @lockhrt999

Thank you. Where is the TBW written option to see exact TBW? And for HDD's crystal disk info just shows the status as good etc. and not the % right?

A few more doubts-

1. 512gb nvme ssd will have around 477gb of usable space. After and during first boot it asks to allocate space, how to allocate say 427gb to c drive and 50gb to d drive?

2. Now say a 500gb ssd is added, then the usable space will be around 465gb. How to create drive e and f and allocate say 205gb and 260gb space to them respectively?

I know that it is done through disk management but I get confused when it asks to fill in the data space in MB. I mean the usable space will be 46500000 something mb and I get confused what to enter for 205gb?
Sir where have they mentioned about the generation of the ssd?

And for HDD's crystal disk info just shows the status as good etc. and not the % right?
Right. Because it's hard to decide health precisely HDD.

2. Now say a 500gb ssd is added, then the usable space will be around 465gb. How to create drive e and f and allocate say 205gb and 260gb space to them respectively?

I know that it is done through disk management but I get confused when it asks to fill in the data space in MB. I mean the usable space will be 46500000 something mb and I get confused what to enter for 205gb?
Yes. You use disk management. It's difficult to get a perfect 205GB number as some space is used to save meta data by the operating system. You can however do some math like, 205 x 1024 + 100 Extra = 210020‬ MB. It'll get you close to 205 GB mark.

1. 512gb nvme ssd will have around 477gb of usable space. After and during first boot it asks to allocate space, how to allocate say 427gb to c drive and 50gb to d drive?
You can right click on the C drive inside disk management and select shrink volume.

Back