Questions regarding Windows 7 and OEM key

sam9953

Adept
Hi guys, My computer (laptop) is going to be sent to the service centre very soon and I would like to keep a copy of my windows 7 home basic bootable disc. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) If I download a legit windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit and install it on my laptop and use my OEM provided serial key, will it work?

2) My HP laptop provides a recovery partition which sets the laptop in its factory condition, can you guys please tell me how different is the recovery partition different from installing the same windows 7 home basic OS with an OEM provided key?

3) Now if the answer to my first question is "yes" then from where do I download my Windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit iso file to create a bootable disk?Hi guys, My computer (laptop) is going to be sent to the service centre very soon and I would like to keep a copy of my windows 7 home basic bootable disc. I have a few questions regarding this:

1) If I download a legit windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit and install it on my laptop and use my OEM provided serial key, will it work?

2) My HP laptop provides a recovery partition which sets the laptop in its factory condition, can you guys please tell me how different is the recovery partition different from installing the same windows 7 home basic OS with an OEM provided key?

3) Now if the answer to my first question is "yes" then from where do I download my Windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit iso file to create a bootable disk?

1. Yes, but you will need to activate by phone in case you have used the key before. I dont think you will be able to activate it over the net.

2. The recovery partition is like a automatic restore mode, which you can use to reset the PC to factory condition.

3. Download a copy or borrow one from a friend. Legit or untouched ones are best used. I would suggest to get one from TPB. Do not use the pre activated ones.

If you dont mind using the same key which HP gives, just get a loader and do the job. I too use the same, its a easier way to do things than call up Microshit for activation.

Hi guys, My computer (laptop) is going to be sent to the service centre very soon and I would like to keep a copy of my windows 7 home basic bootable disc.

For what repair is it going to the service centre? Are they going to fully format the disk? Even recovery partition? Please provide details.

If you are afraid to lose the OS, and the recovery partition, then I will suggest you to make a full image of your hard drive, with the OS partition, and the recovery partition. I hope you know how to make an image of a hard drive. Here is a review where you can find free and excellent software to make an image:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-cloning-software.htm

Make an image and store it on an external drive, or somewhere other than your laptop. With an image, you can restore your system to the same state like it was before.

Of course, needless to say, make sure your system is free of malware, etc, otherwise the malware will return when you install the image again.

Also, if possible, tell the service centre to retain the recovery partition because it is important... in case you want to restore the laptop to its factory condition.

Another thing you can try is that... in some laptops, like HP laptops, I have seen that they provide the option to make backup discs for Windows 7. It takes about 3-4 discs, and using them you can install the OS on your laptop. So, check for that option. You will have to look in the Start Menu list for that.

I can't say about that, because I haven't restored an OS that way, from another disc, but using the OEM key.

If you restore your laptop to the factory setting, from the recovery partition, your laptop will be like the same way that it was, when you bought it. OS will be there, and the same OEM programs that came with the laptop.

But, if you install OS from a separate disc, then your system will be free from different OEM programs, or processes that came pre-installed on the laptop. It will be the way you like it. In restoring system from the recovery partition, you have no choice to control what you can install... but with a separate CD, you can.

3) Now if the answer to my first question is "yes" then from where do I download my Windows 7 home basic SP1 x64 bit iso file to create a bootable disk?

You can download a legit copy of Windows 7 from the internet. Read this article:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-get-free-legal-copy-windows-7-installation-disk.htm

Of course, it's legit only when you have the proper key to activate it. But, the download itself is legit, and you do not have to get copies from TPB, or anywhere else.

Hope this helps :).

Back