Storage Solutions RAID 0 Advice - which drives to use ?

dafreaking

Skilled
So I am building a new x99 based rig and am looking at a 2x2tb RAID 0 array for video editing. This will be used for storing media/assets and I will be using an SSD for the OS and apps.

The options I am looking at at the moment

2 x 2 TB WD Red
2 x 2 TB WD Black

The Blacks cost at least 30% more and that would sort of be stretching my budget. But the advantage of the Black's is the single drive performance and warranty.

If there are any other drives that one would recommend please chime in. I will be using the motherboards raid controller

TIA

For video editing, a member mentioned that scrubbing through videos was butter smooth only when he used a RAMdisk. I'm guessing access latency matters, not pure bandwidth, i.e. the slower spinning disks in the WD Red might not be preferable.

what do you plan to store ?

Video files and other media (audio as well as 3d and 2d files)

For video editing, a member mentioned that scrubbing through videos was butter smooth only when he used a RAMdisk. I'm guessing access latency matters, not pure bandwidth, i.e. the slower spinning disks in the WD Red might not be preferable.
So the other option is to use a 512GB SSD, but this would work only for smaller projects. I don't have the budget for a a ton of memory for a RAMdisk so it doesn't exist as an option. Pretty confused as I have read too much conflicting information on the interwebz.

Isn't it simple eh? you chose the drives just like you chose SD cards. you need around ~50MBps read / write. if you use raid 0, the volumes would be striped. which means you will have two spindles so you will get double the speed of a physical drive. based on this info, I would chose the cheapest option. :) (psst... WD Green;)) Latency is always a problem when you dont use the SSDs.

HAHA.. @booo it is, isn't it :p One of the reasons I am leaning toward 2x2tb red in Raid 0. I don't care too much about the data on the drives as they can be copied back in case of a drive failure. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the load on the CPU should be less in the case of a simple stripe and 2x2TB Reds in RAID 0 should perform faster than a 2TB Black with a 30% increase in cost. Not to mention I don't have the budget 2x2TB Blacks or RE drives.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-...nd-5-performance-on-WD-Red-drives/td-p/533025 is discouraging though.

Back