Storage Solutions Raid 2 TB setup: Need advice

100khz

Disciple
Want to build 2 TB Raid setup. Need advice for internal HDD brand.
Seagate 1 TB ST1000DM003
WD Caviar Green 1 TB WD10EZRX
Never bought WD so far, so wanted to ask for advice on brand.
Need for Raid: Fastest high capacity internal drive for media production, need to load upto 32 GB of ram with media files for editing etc. can't afford high capacity SSDs, using one for only OS.
thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1389106894][/DOUBLEPOST]bump

Last edited:
Why do you need a high capacity SSD? 64/128Gigs should easily suffice and be many times faster.
i don't need a high capacity SSD.. i need high capacity fast drive for sound library storage, fast read and write operations. My sound libraries are more than 1 TB. These libraries are used for music composition in DAWs. Have to load upto 32 GB of content in RAM instantly. Thats why need a fast and high capacity drive of atleast 2 TB. The best option i get is RAID 0. Thats why i am asking for brand comparison, should i go for seagate 1 TB X 2 or WD green 1TB X 2? Whats the recommendation.?

I already have a 120 GB SSD for my OS drive.

Both are about the same in reliability. Go for what has served you the best and always keep a proper backup. :)
There are speeds for each drive. WD's high performing range is Blue if im not mistake. Green is cheaper and for lower power consumption.

What about if i go for usb 3 external drive, will it beat a raid setup? any comments? Cos USB 3 is quite fast too.. any one who compared both or can comment on this? i would rather prefer an external USB 3.0 over internal drives any day.. but again my purpose is high capacity with high speeds both read and write..

Internal drives > external drives if portability is not an issue.
got it.. so even usb 3 connected drive can't beat the speeds of an internal 6gb/s sata 3 port connected internal drive of 7200 RPM..? wow, i thought USB 3 can beat it or atleast be comparable.. btw, any idea whats the difference of speeds b/w both the above mentioned.. just a fair idea?

if you dont mind the risk of a raid 1 setup, i suggest a 2x1tb wd red raid 1 setup.
you should get about 230MB/s write.
awesome.. this is what i am looking at.. but 2 questions, why raid 1 why not raid 0 and what if i buy a WD Green instead of RED.. Red is way too costly and perhaps difficult to buy.. tell me if i am wrong..[DOUBLEPOST=1389197249][/DOUBLEPOST]approx price for WD Red http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewI...1-TB-SATA-6Gbps-Buffer-64MB-IntelliPower-HDD-

1) red over green since red is a more reliable drive. it was built for 24/7 usage
2)raid 1 is more for redundancy and raid 0 is for pure speed.
3)the wd red 2tb is approx 7500/- per drive.

hope that helps :)

1) red over green since red is a more reliable drive. it was built for 24/7 usage
2)raid 1 is more for redundancy and raid 0 is for pure speed.
3)the wd red 2tb is approx 7500/- per drive.

hope that helps :)
thanks.. I looked for WD Red, couldn't find it on flipkart.. its available on ebay, but overpriced. Any reliable places i can buy this one online.. the 1 TB X 2 WD red one? Traveling to my nearby wholesale market is like spending entire day traveling and RED is not that easily available i guess..

thanks.. I looked for WD Red, couldn't find it on flipkart.. its available on ebay, but overpriced. Any reliable places i can buy this one online.. the 1 TB X 2 WD red one? Traveling to my nearby wholesale market is like spending entire day traveling and RED is not that easily available i guess..

you can check primeabgb. they ship all over india. they might not have it listed on their site, but call them and have a talk with them :)

Back