Video Rains and DTH

rshri

Adept
Hi Guys,

Currently have local cable TV provider's cable TV at my home. CAS thing will start after about 1-2 months. My dilemma is, whether at that time, stay with cablewallah's CAS or switch to Tata Sky (I guess DishTV is not an option because of its reported poor service).

I am happy with reported good quality of Tata Sky's reception. However I have heard that there is no reception when its raining. Is that true?

I am in Delhi right now which gets its fair share of rain. So is DTH worth considering?

it is true

Its called rain outage - u wont get signal reception for around 3-5 minutes depending upon intensity of the rain.

Also there is sun outage - because of direct sunshine (on the dish) u will not get reception.

edit: i read somewher this is due to small sizes of dish. - if u get a bigger dish like ur cabelwallah u wont experience this.

So there is outage of only 3-5 minutes even though it may rain for hours? Strange!

I had also never heard of Sun Outage before.

Doesnt Tata Sky installs a standard sized dish? Is it possible to ask for bigger dish at the time of installtion itself?

Udit said:
my TATA Sky signal was up during a Thunderstorm & super strong sunlight :hap2:

Have you got the big dish installed ? How much is your signal strength and quality ? Which Set Top Box i.e. Digicomp you got ?

rshri said:
So there is outage of only 3-5 minutes even though it may rain for hours? Strange!
I had also never heard of Sun Outage before.

Doesnt Tata Sky installs a standard sized dish? Is it possible to ask for bigger dish at the time of installtion itself?

ok maybe i need to clarify this point: rain outage happens when there is heavy to very heavy rainfall. If it rains for days but rainfall is weak, then u wont get rain outage. If it is torrential rainfall and by chance u live in hilly area where signal reception is not maximum u will get no signal. It could last till rainfall slows down to permit access of signals.

i don't think it is possible to ask for bigger dish during time of installation.

anirudh said:
Have you got the big dish installed ? How much is your signal strength and quality ? Which Set Top Box i.e. Digicomp you got ?

yes got the big dish for the whole building

Digicomp is some Humax one

don't know signal strength and quality

6pack said:
ok maybe i need to clarify this point: rain outage happens when there is heavy to very heavy rainfall. If it rains for days but rainfall is weak, then u wont get rain outage. If it is torrential rainfall and by chance u live in hilly area where signal reception is not maximum u will get no signal. It could last till rainfall slows down to permit access of signals.

i don't think it is possible to ask for bigger dish during time of installation.

So do you advise DTH? Or cablewallah CAS?

ummm thats a tough question ^^

if u prefer not to have the cablewallah in between then opt for DTH. (no cable blackouts, no effects by strikes, legit bills with service and entertainment taxes paid + good quality audio/video.)

BTW in the 2 yrs of dth viewing i've suffered those rain outages only twice,

which is bearable i think.

U will have to make the decision. lol..

6pack said:
ummm thats a tough question ^^

if u prefer not to have the cablewallah in between then opt for DTH. (no cable blackouts, no effects by strikes, legit bills with service and entertainment taxes paid + good quality audio/video.)

BTW in the 2 yrs of dth viewing i've suffered those rain outages only twice,
which is bearable i think.

U will have to make the decision. lol..

Two rain outages in two years is perfectly acceptable. You have DishTV I assume? Would you advise it over Tata Sky?

BTW, how many sun outages till now?

I dont know abt others; but evry single time it has rained here in Delhi- the goddamn Tata Sky box starts showing "No Signal" !! Needless to say, apart from this the service is gr8...
I get Signal strength-45 & Signal Quality-90 . Signal Level-122.

P.S:: Ppl plz post ur Tata Sky Signal strength & Quality figures-In case u dont know how;here's how u do it.
Push Organiser on Remote -->System Settings-->Signal Test

i am using dish tv for about one and a half year now.

infact i have not experienced any big outages either sun or rain.

slight disturbance in picture quality or audio quality happens when rains are heavy and thunder storms are around.

i would definitely recommend DTH (tata sky has better picture quality than dish tv. may be my tv is not upto the mark, many of my friends are using tata sky and they are happy.

Two rain outages in two years is perfectly acceptable. You have DishTV I assume? Would you advise it over Tata Sky?

yes i use dishtv. Advise over tatasky? hmm, i havn't used it yet. But quality of dishtv has gone from good to worse in this two yrs of viewership.

If u have a 29inch tv dont get dishtv, u'll see that most of the chanells r pixelated. This is because of their faulty new os which downloads by itself on the stb. The original stb software was 10 times better and faster IMO.

BTW, how many sun outages till now?

zero

How often does it rain in your area??

3-4 months of the yr without fail, and enough to flood the streets. :)

Edit: if u ppl wondering abt the signal strength and quality : Signal strength: 60-62%, Signal Quality: 71-75%

medpal said:
i am using dish tv for about one and a half year now.

infact i have not experienced any big outages either sun or rain.

slight disturbance in picture quality or audio quality happens when rains are heavy and thunder storms are around.

i would definitely recommend DTH (tata sky has better picture quality than dish tv. may be my tv is not upto the mark, many of my friends are using tata sky and they are happy.

^^medpal,

you are from one of the Heaviest Rain Fall city, still you have no problem during Rainy Season than definitely I will recommend Dish TV over TATA.:)

Havent had any sun outage yet. Sun is really breathing fire heavily here in mumbai. And i have that small 1 foot dish only for me. And no sun outage till date.

It havent rained here yet since i got the Tata sky so dont know about that. But its highly unlikely that DTH would stop working usless there is heavy lighting thunderstorm around. Clouds and rains hardly make any difference as my friend is yet to have TV blackout on his DishTV which he is using for past year or so. If you are having this problems it might be a case of improper dish alignment at the time of installation.

Back