Ram: Same part number, different speed.

FPS

Disciple
I was using ram kit 8gbx2 gskill flarex for sometime.
Recently added another kit 8gbx2.
Both the kits have same make, specs and part number.
I ran cpuz by installing each kit in slot 2,4 one by one and found that the stock speed in older one is 1200 MHz and newer one is 1066 MHz as per cpuz.
Also older one is sk-hynex and newer one is samsung.
OC xmp both kits run at 1600 MHz (ie 3200 mhz ddr) when installed individually in slots 2,4 or both the kits collectively in slots 1,3 n 2,4.

1) My Q is how can the stock speed vary if specs & part numbers are same ?
2) When both the kits are installed, cpuz shows slot 1,2 as hynex and slot 3,4 as samsung ! How is it possible ?
Sticks are not mixed up as manufacturing year is different.

Ideas, comments are welcome.

I ran cpuz by installing each kit in slot 2,4 one by one and found that the stock speed in older one is 1200 MHz and newer one is 1066 MHz as per cpuz.
OC xmp both kits run at 1600 MHz (ie 3200 mhz ddr) when installed individually in slots 2,4 or both the kits collectively in slots 1,3 n 2,4.

2) When both the kits are installed, cpuz shows slot 1,2 as hynex and slot 3,4 as samsung ! How is it possible ?

use XMP profile and you should be good for a 3200MHZ.

Mfg die can either be micron, hynix or samsung. Depends which exact batch those models were manufactured in. And that shouldn't really matter. Samsung die are good etc. is all hype created. Any given die is good else the brands themselves had categorized the kits under type A/B/ and C and priced them accordingly.
I blindly bought Trident rams and even though I knew Samsungs are a bit better but my own research showed hardly any difference. Its like buying Nike or Adidas shoes, both are good but end choice is personal. Only people requiring tighter timings and number crunchers noobs will actually bother aka care for these type of stuff and again brand takes the advantage. Where in reality using bios we can easily tweak the way we want till the best possible extent of those kits.

Back