PC Peripherals Ram upgrade and cabinet suggestions

n2avin

Recruit
I have an old pc with a basic zebronics cabinet. The system config is :

Motherboard: GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM

I want to buy another 2gb RAM (I guess it has to be DDR2) and I want to change my cabinet to something like this Refurbised Dell Optiplex 745 - Dual Core Powered Desktop for Home or Office basically a lot smaller.

Will the smaller cabinet be suitable for my current cpu (overheating problems??) any suggestions regarding the cabinet and ram will be welcome. I am a complete noob when it comes to the current brands available and prices. I am looking to spend around 5-6 K for both. Thanks in advance for any help.

^^ For you Sire, here is what I'll recommend --

you are locked to a DDR 2 set-up, try to scout for a good deal here on TE's Members market OR wait for a few months let this RIG die and get a general overhaul then, by the way what do you use your PC as?

But if you want to go ahead for a DDR 2 set-up with fresh RAM, here it is --> TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Transcend 2GB DDR2 2 GB 800MHz Desktop Ram - TheITWares.

For cabinets, you can look at basic flat-bed type micro-ATX based set-ups like these --> TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!.

Hope this helped, Sire. Cheers!!

Regarding RAM I can help you. Even I had the same problem. I would suggest you to get 2GB RAM More from hydshop.in or from Itwares.
You have an 32 Bit Processor so max you can use is up to 4Gb of RAM.

swatkats said:
Regarding RAM I can help you. Even I had the same problem. I would suggest you to get 2GB RAM More from hydshop.in or from Itwares.

You have an 32 Bit Processor so max you can use is up to 4Gb of RAM.

^^ What do you mean a 32-bit processor , it is a very old dual-core processor circa.2007 -- Two Cores at a Low Cost: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU Review. Page 2 - X-bit labs.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2+ - GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0) -- the motherboard with a BIOS upgrade can support Thuban cores, I don't see why it cannot take more than 4GB RAM.

ALPHA17 said:
I don't see why it cannot take more than 4GB RAM.

^ cause he's running a 32bit version of windows 7. i know there are hacks and all, but it would be better for him to just shift to the 64bit version of windows if he wants more than 4GB ram.

Get a 2GB stick of the same brand preferably from either here on TE or from market. Just check in this sub froum : http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-and-ram/

ALPHA17 said:
^^ What do you mean a 32-bit processor , it is a very old dual-core processor circa.2007 -- Two Cores at a Low Cost: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ CPU Review. Page 2 - X-bit labs.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2+ - GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 1.0) -- the motherboard with a BIOS upgrade can support Thuban cores, I don't see why it cannot take more than 4GB RAM.

I am sure he meant the OS, not the proccy.

In case you need Corsair DDR2 RAM, I have 2 x 1 Gb sticks I am looking to part with... let me know if that works for you and if you are interested

Hi there.

My cousin is looking for used RAM DDR2( prefer with sticks upto 6 months usage ).

Requirement : 2 sticks of 2 Gb DDR 2 module @ 1.5V 800 mhz.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but i guess i do not have access to TE market post or threads....

Thank you for all your replies...

@Alpha 17

The PC is currently being used as a download rig and for browsing and watching movies/TV series (the 19 inch monitor helps). I am planning to get the RAM from ITwares as you suggested. The suggested cabinets look ok as far as the size is concerned and as for the cabinet my chief worry was if i will be able to transfer my existing hardware setup to the Mini ITX cabinets suggested (In terms of space, slots for additional HDD's and optical drives -2 should be enough- and ventilation).

Back