Rated X-X-X-X

blr_p said:
Other thing is for a touted USB3 board it has only 2 USB 3 connectors and the rest (14) are USB2.

Why still provide USB2 connectors when USB3 is backwards compatible anyway ?

the USB 3 is not supported natively by the chipset (same for intels too..) it is provided separately by a NEC chip :eek:hyeah: thats why

_

blr_p said:
Is there any reason to go with rev1 as opposed to rev2 for this mobo ?

Didn't Shri Pad get the same mobo some time back.

Well that was the one that was available so I took it :p.

Funky had got the same mobo for reviewing iirc :)

blr_p said:
Other thing is for a touted USB3 board it has only 2 USB 3 connectors and the rest (14) are USB2.

Why still provide USB2 connectors when USB3 is backwards compatible anyway ?

It uses the NEC chip for USB3, which isn't natively supported, so you require to install drivers. Thats the reason the rest are native USB 2.0 ports, I guess :)

for now 2 ports are enuff since the only use I got is to charge my iphone , which charges up much faster thru the usb 3 slot, will have to wait till the external drives with USB3 show up :)

thexfactor said:
It uses the NEC chip for USB3, which isn't natively supported, so you require to install drivers. Thats the reason the rest are native USB 2.0 ports, I guess :)
The next question is how long until it IS natively supported as that's what one would like to have in "a USB 3 board".

thexfactor said:
for now 2 ports are enuff since the only use I got is to charge my iphone , which charges up much faster thru the usb 3 slot,
This is interesting, we're not talking data transfer but charging time :huh:

Why is that ?

blr_p said:
The next question is how long until it IS natively supported as that's what one would like to have in "a USB 3 board".
This is interesting, we're not talking data transfer but charging time :huh:

Why is that ?
The AM3r2/Am3+ (no idea about socket as of now) will have native support for USB3, the board should debut with the Liano series of CPU's. Add to that AMD will finally provide something new instead of tweaking the SB/NB :D Hopefully they will shift to 45nm for making boards.

blr_p said:
OK, so charging is faster because gigabyte's USB3 provides 2700mA over 1500mA for USB2 which is already 3 times over the usual (500mA) that 'other' USB2 ports deliver.

So you're drawing upto 6 times more current than what is the norm.

Safe for the iPhone ?

Yep, I guess so, since Gigabyte themselves advertise the iphone charging feature, the mobo also charges usb devices when the pc is OFF (but switched ON from the mains) and if you're talking about the usb cable being able to handle it, then ofcourse it'll handle that , as the same cable attached to a 3-pin plug is used to charge from the mains :)

Damages were around 21k iirc, the card is a used one which I bought from Bikey :)
@Shash : Thanx, I'm already on F7 ... needed to install it to enable the unlocking feature through BIOS itself, rather than using Easytune :p

thexfactor said:
the mobo also charges usb devices when the pc is OFF (but switched ON from the mains) and if you're talking about the usb cable being able to handle it, then ofcourse it'll handle that
ok, another way of asking is -- how long does using apple's charger take, hooked up to the wall.

Now is the USB3 faster than this or not ?

thexfactor said:
Yep, I guess so, since Gigabyte themselves advertise the iphone charging feature, the mobo also charges usb devices when the pc is OFF (but switched ON from the mains) and if you're talking about the usb cable being able to handle it, then ofcourse it'll handle that , as the same cable attached to a 3-pin plug is used to charge from the mains :)

Damages were around 21k iirc, the card is a used one which I bought from Bikey :)
@Shash : Thanx, I'm already on F7 ... needed to install it to enable the unlocking feature through BIOS itself, rather than using Easytune :p

your using f7beta right? or has the proper f7 released. i am on f6 currently with the x6.

stormblast said:
your using f7beta right? or has the proper f7 released. i am on f6 currently with the x6.

Yep f7c :)

blr_p said:
ok, another way of asking is -- how long does using apple's charger take, hooked up to the wall.

Now is the USB3 faster than this or not ?

Yep it's almost as fast as the wall charger, and much faster than regular usb charging, anyway I did not get it just for this feature, so it's just a bonus for me :)

If its almost as fast as the wall charger then is nothing to worry about :)

If it is faster than the wall charger then it would be dodgy.

Back