Graphic Cards Reality check on the 30 series and why theyre mediocre at best.

raydialseeker

Disciple
All of us are well aware of the shortage.

The 30 series however was intended to be a return to status quo in terms of pricing(ironically). The $700 3080 FE brought performance 20-30% better than the 2080Ti at a really compelling price. Similarly the 3070 did the same with the 2080Ti.

However, going into this NVIDIA chose the Samsung 8nm(Upgraded 10nm. Think of it as 10nm++ which is about as efficient as intels 14++). The process is inferior to tsmcs 7nm in almost every way. But Nvidia just shoved more power through it and sold it to us.

The real reason why this excites me is because almost all rumours suggest that Nvidias 40 series will be based on tsmcs 5nm process. Which is AT LEAST 60% more efficient than samsungs 8nm. Likely to be even more. This will allow them to pack an absurd number of transistors in and bring that $2000+ GPU in the main stream.

However this will also mean that the 40 series completely decimates the 30 series at lower wattages as well. Cant wait to see what a 4070 can do(expect it to beat or match 3090s at the very least ). AMD plan on announcing their next gen zen chips around the same time. Q3 2022 is going to be a great time for PC hardware. Although stock will probably be limited till q2 2023. Far better than it is right now tho.

Expect a zen 5 CPU + nvidia 4090 to be around 60%+ faster than our current hardware can manage.

If you can hold off buying pc components itd be a really good idea to do so unless its financially viable for you to upgrade.

If you can hold off buying pc components itd be a really good idea to do so unless its financially viable for you to upgrade.
And you expect 4070s to be sold at msrps... Dude next 15months at least the scenario is going to be the same. So forget 40xx you should consider yourself lucky enough to get your hands on 2xxx at a fair used price at least!
Everybody has been holding on too long now incl. me and now its either grab or let it go scenarios and all those sympathetic dreams of every months prices going to get slashed or back to msrps have been busted in oops! aww! and laughter!

Last edited:
And you expect 4070s to be sold at msrps... Dude next 15months at least the scenarios is going to be the same. So forget 40xx you should be lucky enough to get your hands on 2xxx at a fair used price at least!
Everybody has been holding on too long now incl. me and now its grab or let it go scenarios and all those sympathetic dreams of every months prices going to get slashed or back to msrps have been busted in oops and laughter!
It'll still be significantly better than it is now.

Yes, we're already halfway into the lifecycle of 30 series. Buying now is like you've already lost half the time you could have probably had with it which means you're paying more per year of use. On top of that you're overpaying due to mining, scalping and what not. Excuse of shortage is more or less fake now. I know many retailers who have hoarded the cards are selling in bulk to people who make mining rigs LHR or not doesn't matter now since it's kinda cracked. Gamers are just the audience who's affected due to all this and those who're buying are encouraging them to keep the prices as-is.

It'll still be significantly better than it is now.
Significantly? I dont call it significant selling a 35k gpu for 70k!
Yes, we're already halfway into the lifecycle of 30 series. Buying now is like you've already lost half the time you could have probably had with it which means you're paying more per year of use. On top of that you're overpaying due to mining, scalping and what not. Excuse of shortage is more or less fake now. I know many retailers who have hoarded the cards are selling in bulk to people who make mining rigs LHR or not doesn't matter now since it's kinda cracked. Gamers are just the audience who's affected due to all this and those who're buying are encouraging them to keep the prices as-is.
Yes, its like buying a 2060 in 2023 still at a little higher price! Zero sense!

The condition seems hopeless.

I never ever thought I would seriously consider going 100% console gaming but now I am.

Excuse of shortage is more or less fake now. I know many retailers who have hoarded the cards
What will happen to the stock when 4000 series gets announced?

When 3000 was announced, many people dumped their costly 2000 series cards for cheap. Can such thing happen again?

When 3000 was announced, many people dumped their costly 2000 series cards for cheap. Can such thing happen again?
Of course but it'll not happen on that scale. Many people have learnt their lesson not to sell before they can actually acquire the new GPU. Also this time around current market price and conditions will be considered when selling used products although it has always been this way.
So expect used cards also being sold for near retail prices or even more. It all depends on demand and supply just like it is now.

The condition seems hopeless.

I never ever thought I would seriously consider going 100% console gaming but now I am.

What will happen to the stock when 4000 series gets announced?

Pick up a used ps4 pro and play all the exclusives. There are a lot of brilliant ones on there.

TLOU
GOW
DS
Spider Man
GOTsu
and the list goes on.

Lessons are learnt in this way only... imagine yr 2017 1080 selling like hot cakes on this date at msrp of a brand new 3xxx.

Unfortunately I don't see the 4000 series having a huge effect on availability or pricing for newer GPUs, ancient ones like RX 5xx and GTX 9xx could drop in price but even the 10 series should remain largely unaffected as the global logistic traffic jam is likely to continue

Back