Recently launched - sony ericsson Xperia mini pro SK17i

^^^ I am not saying anything against Defy as I recommended it in this forum :) But this phone is much better hardware wise. Only thing it is missing is rugged body and screen size. This phone is absolutely brilliant for people who do not care about screen size. Some people might find this phone smaller. But here is my view on why this phone is good:

1) Mainly It runs Gingerbread right off the box. That is important. As you can see some good phones are still being released with froyo.

2) Any phone with this hardware is considered good. 2nd Generation Scorpion 1 ghz processor and Adrenos 205 GPU. So you will enjoy gaming and other tasks with breeze. I have used 2nd generation processor and adrenos 205. They are on par with hummingbird's gpu (Not better but in some tests they perform on par) RAM is also good and more than enough for multitasking. So good.

3) Secondary Camera is absolutely necessary for any phones regardless of whether we use it or not. It has decent 5 MP camera and lets face it, Sony knows how to make cameras. So I assume it should be good also. Also 720p video recording is absolutely good.

4) Qwerty Keypad is absolutely necessary because it is always better than on screen keypad. Sometimes I find the on screen board annoying.

5) Bravia Engine display is absolutely brilliant than Super LCD or other screens. But unfortunately I would not rate it higher than Super Amoled, but still respect its display as it is good.

6) Sony After Sale Service is better in India.

So lets see. What do we need in a smartphone to get the VFM:

CPU/GPU/RAM - Check

OS - Check

Multimedia - Check

Reliablility - Check

So this phone is a good buy IMHO. Now do you care about screen size is the big question here????? Other than that everything this has is on par with current latest single core phones in the market. Heck, it even has same hardware as Arc minus the 8 MP camera. That is a winner in my book.

^For many screen is all that matters! I have used the Moto Defy and the SE W8(Same screen size of 3" and HVGA) and i can say that the W8 screen is a little too tiny(at least for my liking)

If your main usage is browsing and games the Defy is a much better bet since it has got a bigger real estate and more than double the no. of pixels!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

^For many screen is all that matters! I have used the Moto Defy and the SE W8(Same screen size of 3" and HVGA) and i can say that the W8 screen is a little too tiny(at least for my liking)

If your main usage is browsing and games the Defy is a much better bet since it has got a bigger real estate and more than double the no. of pixels!

i saw this 2 months back. Was really keen to buy this phone. I android search quest started with this phone.

Actually the mini. not the pro one. But for a smartphone the screen is small. But not tooo small. As i phone has 3.5 inch and this one has 3 inches. U can compare this way. All the specs are amazing. And sony makes good display and sound. If screen is not a problem go in for this phone.

Or try the nexus one at a cheaper rate around 14k from ebay. and look at nexus s at 19k from lets buy(with coupon)

defy is also good. Only the 200mhz difference. But that can be overclocked. So same cpu. But for gaming it is the GPU which matters. And xperia has better gpu than the defy and the nexus one.

If u want the phone for gaming. Your main priority should be GPU, Display, Screen size.

If it is for an overall smartphone. Then the the xperia mini. It is good specs wise.

Back