Recommend a cheap ebook reader to read 3rd party pdf files

DarkAngel

Skilled
  • A friend of mine needs a cheap ebook reader to read 3rd party pdf content on the go.
  • He doesnt want to spend on big screen phones and prefer spending <$100 for a proper ebook reader with e-ink display.
  • So now left with two main options ie., the Kindle 4 or the Nook touch.
  • http://www.techenclave.com/gadgets-...buying-advice/ebook-reader-buying-201680.html -> Went through this thread and found that the Kindle 4 is not the ideal option for the same. Is Nook touch similar?
  • If its difficult to read with the ebook readers then is there any decent tablets for ~$100(refurbished ones or new) that I convince him to go for?

Tell him to try converting the books he has to .mobi/.epub 's.
Only if they convert well should he buy a kindle or nook.
For reading pdf's they're about the same, but I think the nook handles pdf reflows better. Plus it's got better battery life, and dedicated page turn buttons.

Get the Kindle 3G, second hand should be cheap. for reading PDF's your better off with a tablet through. Akash maybe? :p But seriously, PDFs are crap on ebook readers. Although I am a kindle fan, if it comes down to Kindle 4G vs Nook touch, get the Nook. Dedicated buttons are a must for good reading experience.

I use a kindle for pdf reading. With a good cropping tool (Briss) I can manage pdfs with small or narrow page sizes.

Any A4 size pdf would be painful on any 6" screen. Either convert it to a format like epub and hope that it reflows properly or buy a devise with a larger screen.

If you want my advice, go for akash tablet, cheapest.. and can be used for ebook reading only, anything other than that, you will get hanged, providing the specs

Back