Recommend a good rechargeable and small in size torch

raksrules

Elite
Planning to buy a torch. Needs to be compact if possible and still have decent light throw. LED preferred. Needs to be rechargeable using some sort of USB Port on it.
Any suggestions?

Is this a good option?

^That's on my keychain. Awesome. Never had a torch that tells you how long it will last. Sandisk mp3 player size.

Cheaper but you have to cycle through the settings to get the one you want. No memory.

These are flood lights so the throw won't be as good. But way way better than any smartphone.

If you need more throw then you need a thrower. How much throw do you need ?

Beefier version with time remaining display

The last two require rechargeable batteries. So you will need a battery charger on top. Or you could stick to duracells if you don't use them often.

These are more compact than the one you linked and are branded which means you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
@blr_p
I checked the USB rechargeable flashlights on the website and all of them seem to be priced very very high. I mean 6500 and 17000 for a torch?
I have spent lakhs on torches, with the most expensive ones about $700+.

The question is what are you going to use it for.
I have a tiny one to one with shoulder strap.

Most often I use small torches which can take a 18650 or 21700.

Led torches can get really hot. The ones with USB adds one more layer of heat, slow charging, probably unknown algorithm.

Remember the cells if overcharged or over discharged can cause fire or explosion.

I always use dedicated chargers to charge lion cells.

I also use only genuine Panasonic or sony or samsung cells. Each battery can cost as high as 1k to 2k for a genuine one.

@blr_p
I checked the USB rechargeable flashlights on the website and all of them seem to be priced very very high. I mean 6500 and 17000 for a torch?
The TUP was the most expensive at 6k. I didn't know if you even needed something like that

How much throw do you need in metres ? How bright ?

The keychain ones will get up to 50m, the others twice as far or even more. The one i have on my keychain is good enough for 95% of what i will need and its always with me.

The AA battery operated ones, i bought one ten years ago like that which still works fine to this day

Last edited:
Decathlon , LED Dynamo usb rechargable torch , 999/ or 799/ Dont remember exact , still availble last checked week back

Low 10 lumens and high is 35 lumens !!! what are you going to see with that :)

To give an idea the light on your phone is around 15-20 lumens

It's crank operated. That is the only way to use it (!) Break the crank you can't use it any more.

Good for emergency

Last edited:
I have spent lakhs on torches, with the most expensive ones about $700+.

The question is what are you going to use it for.
I have a tiny one to one with shoulder strap.

Most often I use small torches which can take a 18650 or 21700.

Led torches can get really hot. The ones with USB adds one more layer of heat, slow charging, probably unknown algorithm.

Remember the cells if overcharged or over discharged can cause fire or explosion.

I always use dedicated chargers to charge lion cells.

I also use only genuine Panasonic or sony or samsung cells. Each battery can cost as high as 1k to 2k for a genuine one.
If you dont mind me asking, What is your usecase for $700+ torch??.
Can you link the product (I wanna see it specifications).

Single battery costs 1k to 2k ??? Whats so special about them.

They come with built in protection circuits. Battery will be taller than a regular 18650.

Regular 18650 go less than Rs.1000

By introducing these proprietary batteries they increase the price and enforce a kind of user lock in.

To be fair these torches can get pretty damn hot at their highest settings so safety matters and regular 186500 does not cut it. Some of them are designed for high discharge currents 8A

Yeah, result is battery price doubles
Watch this and check the links for the bigger lights

Last edited:

I am flasholic a term used by people who collect flashlights.
No practical use for it, https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33023548463.html

See the thing is 18650 batteries needed to power a powerbank is different then a 18650 battery used to power a EV or power tool.

A normal flashlight with a single XML emitter can be used with any cheap 18650 battery, but not the high power multiple emitter ones which can pull around 8amps.

The flashlights I give my parents all have protected batteries custom made by me.

The flashlights that I personally use all have unprotected batteries.

The batteries you get in India are 90% chinese no name fakes, rebadged to a well known names.

I got my batteries from reputed sellers years back when faking batteries was low.

All my batteries are of Sony/murata VTC6 or the sanyo/Panasonic GA series.

21700 are samsung 40t which I got from a power tool battery.

A fake battery on other hand can explode when discharged at the same amp draw. There are fake VTC6 and what not.

When you see fires in EV like scooters, mostly are due to fake batteries. Even ather during the initial days of their launch had encountered fake batteries in the supply chain luckily it was caught before being put on a production vehicle. Since at that time there low import numbers meant they could not place a order directly from the manufacturer. Now that the scale of production is higher they can order from the manufacture itself. Typically order value costing below 1lakh dollars is not entertained.

Back