Recommend a GPS for a car.

ravihpa

Disciple
Hi guys,

A very good friend of mine just bought a Suzuki Swift, and he's hell bent on installing a good GPS navigator in his car. Now, I am trying to google and get my answer, but I would really appreciate input from you guys who know something about this and who have one of these installed in their cars :)

Which brand and model number would you recommend ? We would obviously prefer to invest in one that actually works very good on Indian roads, good maps, etc., and one that has good overall support :)

Any help and advice in this matter would be HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Thanx a lot in advance guys :)

I'd go for MapmyINdia Zx150 or Satguide Moov 560 which are one of the biggest screen sized GPS device available in the Indian market. Check some online reviews., they seem to have strong reception and good maps.

Indian GPS devices are still inferior to brands like Garmin. If possible you get a Garmin set from abroad and just buy maps from Satguide and you will have a much better experience.

i have a garmin 255w i got from US and a chinese make gps that i got from deal extreme.

chinese one was very cheap, has a bigger screen 5" and wince OS so lots of program can run on it. it does freeze sometimes when its too hot.. need to reboot it then.. :mad:

garmin has 4.3" screen, superb quality though was bit expensive.. infact almost double of the chinese one.
getting indian maps for garmin is bit tricky.. but if you are good with net, may not be that hard. :eek:hyeah:
IMO best option- go for garmin device with satguide or mapmyindia maps..

Garmin is quite good. Large screen. It has probably the best interface/ in terms of ease of use among GPS devices. Clear and tough screen/body. Loud/ clear voice which helps in navigation. Catches satellite quickly. Good built quality. Thse are few basic features which you need in car GPs. Rest are extra and according to your needs

E ven the moov from stguide and mapmyindia 's device have very simple interface. Check some indian site review ithink ull be able to get ur answer

why everyone suggesting Garmin sets? It doesn't have good road coverage for india:huh:

Can MapMyindia maps used with Garmin? If not, forget about Garmin and other chinese sets and buy suitable model from mapmyindia, because its the only solution which have good indian road coverage.

Yes mapmy India or any maps can work with garmin. Yo can split your decision between the hardware and software ie between maps and GPS device. Buy branded as far as hardware is concerned, maps you can buy whatever you find gives most coverage. Map my India has good maps.

Back