Recommend me some good curd chilli and red chilli papad.

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm searching for good tasty curd chilli on Amazon from years. The last brand i bought had some bugs in it and i had to throw it out. The brand i bought before that had fake chilli which was just machine dried without curds and tasted different. Not enough spice in it just was too salty.

Also searching for good red chilli papad which is really spicy. If anyone knows a good brand selling on Amazon, please give me links.

Don't tell me to make at home. I tried once without using gloves and regretted it for a month. That chilli burning sensation doesn't go for a month no matter how many times you wash your hands with soap. Plus the skin on my hands started coming off in patches.

I'm searching for good tasty curd chilli on Amazon from years. The last brand i bought had some bugs in it and i had to throw it out. The brand i bought before that had fake chilli which was just machine dried without curds and tasted different. Not enough spice in it just was too salty.

Also searching for good red chilli papad which is really spicy. If anyone knows a good brand selling on Amazon, please give me links.

Don't tell me to make at home. I tried once without using gloves and regretted it for a month. That chilli burning sensation doesn't go for a month no matter how many times you wash your hands with soap. Plus the skin on my hands started coming off in patches.

TIL, this name, 'curd chilli'. have often seen it in stores but didnt know exactly how/what was this used in.

BTW, about chilli stinging your hands (or worse, face/eyebrows or lashes if one happens to touch one's face with hands having chilli-residue on them), soap and water dont help. try applying ghee to them, copiously if the hands/face have been subject to the residue quite much (like in OP's case). had learnt this during childhood from my grandma when she had applied the same to my burning eyes. ofcourse using gloves is also a good idea, but in case one forgets..

TIL, this name, 'curd chilli'. have often seen it in stores but didnt know exactly how/what was this used in.

BTW, about chilli stinging your hands (or worse, face/eyebrows or lashes if one happens to touch one's face with hands having chilli-residue on them), soap and water dont help. try applying ghee to them, copiously if the hands/face have been subject to the residue quite much (like in OP's case). had learnt this during childhood from my grandma when she had applied the same to my burning eyes. ofcourse using gloves is also a good idea, but in case one forgets..

Little amount of most milk product like curd, milk, paneer etc is more effective than ghee.

These tend to be small operations that you might find in stores. They are not on amazon because of the quantity and are gone quickly after they are made.

I used to get these on trips to Udipi and they were excellent and cheap but paying twice more in blr did not even get me half the quality.

I didn't know these things exist, thanks for this post. In general, how spicy should we expect these curd chillis to be ? On a scale of10, if Guntur chili is 10 and capsicum is 1, how would you rate its spiciness?

I didn't know these things exist, thanks for this post. In general, how spicy should we expect these curd chillis to be ? On a scale of10, if Guntur chili is 10 and capsicum is 1, how would you rate its spiciness?
My mom makes them at home. They aren't spicy in general, might get a random one will make my eyes tear. Overall these aren't too spicy as they are soaked in soured buttermilk for a long time which takes out most of the bite.

Is this what you are looking for? https://www.amazon.in/Delight-Foods-Mor-Milagai-Menasinkai/dp/B08P9JGS9Z
My cousin is in the business of making and selling this, pickles, mixes, powders and papads. I'll check with him if you confirm.
Yes. I bought the Ammi Samayal and it has bugs. I also bought the SK Krishna ones and it seemed like it was not done using any curd. Looked like plain salted chilli and just dried.

Most are just salty. Too salty. Only 1 in 5 have that super spicy kick that will feel like a bomb went off in your stomach. The really spicy one would be 11. The normal ones will be 5/6 at the max. You fry these dried chillies in 1cm of oil till they turn black. They become spicy only when they become black.

These tend to be small operations that you might find in stores. They are not on amazon because of the quantity and are gone quickly after they are made.

I used to get these on trips to Udipi and they were excellent and cheap but paying twice more in blr did not even get me half the quality.
Yes. I used to buy these from shops called Mangalore Stores by the kilo. Some of them have good red chilli papad which are quite mouth watering spicy and make you cry if you eat directly. The ones on Amazon are not spicy. Just salty or bland imo.

Yes. I bought the Ammi Samayal and it has bugs. I also bought the SK Krishna ones and it seemed like it was not done using any curd. Looked like plain salted chilli and just dried.
well let me know if you are still looking to buy. I checked with my cousin for you. It's like around 600/kg plus shipping

My mom makes them at home.
jlXAm6h.png

I would say around 3. If you find them too salty, just break one end off and remove the insides. It will be salty if there are salt crystals.

I highly recommend Rachana Cud Chilli. It has good spice and pretty cheap. Almost around 7-8 spicy if guntur chilli is 10 (in my opinion). I usually buy these from the local Reliance Smart point supermarket in Hyderabad (Rs30/100gms) but these are available on Big Basket too.

Attachments

• 97A70887-E4D5-45C9-BAE7-67456D2652E3.jpeg
    97A70887-E4D5-45C9-BAE7-67456D2652E3.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 62
Looks like these kind of stuff are area stricly area specific, never knew such thing exists - Then BigBasket got no idea what I am searching for..

I stick with lizzat brand papad, from more than 10 years. Tried few others where lizzat was not available but very disappointed. Try lizzat . They are not that chilli spicy, but u will enjoy with dal rice , curry rice even curd rice. Sometimes as side stuff too if ur into drinks

Yeah, Curd chilli is very local, trial and error has to be done for right taste. But yeah, your observation about being salty is true and just remove it by breaking chilli at its tip, remove salt particles and it becomes better

Recently, bought 3 packets as its not readily available at my place :D
IMG_20221212_022957.jpg

Last edited:
I stick with lizzat brand papad, from more than 10 years. Tried few others where lizzat was not available but very disappointed. Try lizzat . They are not that chilli spicy, but u will enjoy with dal rice , curry rice even curd rice. Sometimes as side stuff too if ur into drinks
They've been around longer than that. Some woman started a local business and it just grew from there. I do feel sometimes the quality has reduced a little from the old days but then what else is there?

The best I've had from them are the jackfruit papads. But those can be hard to find, only in season and are gone fast.

Maybe i confused jackfruit with another brand.
No you're not wrong. There is a jackfruit papad in Mangalore and other Konkani areas. I used to eat those fried when i was a kid.
Plus there is jackfruit chips, yam or tapioca and sweet potato chips etc. Very South specific items. These are available in Mumbai only in select mom and pop Mangalore shops. Even those red chilli papad is a South speciality.

Edit: the tapioca and sweet potato chips and jackfruit chips are available on Amazon..

Last edited:
Rather than amazon, try your luck with local stores, mainly south indian ones. If I'm not wrong, D-mart has a brand of these curd dried chillies which my mom loves. They are more bitter (?) than spicy, but they pair well with curd rice.

BTW there are these vacuum friend okra, costs a lot (95 bucks for a packet) but MAN do they taste good. Ultra crunchy, spicy. Would def go great with beer XD

Back