Recommendations for making good black coffee

DrkLord

Adept
Hello, guys which method should I use for making good black coffee?
My current method and coffee: nescafe classic/ sunrise with hot water.

Recommendations for equipment and coffee will also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Avoid instant coffee I guess...

Get a cheap coffee machine like my philips and try some filter coffee powder maybe from Amazon with 15% chicory or less .

You can do this to start and then get better machines and coffee powder as you develop your drinking habits

Avoid instant coffee I guess...

Get a cheap coffee machine like my philips and try some filter coffee powder maybe from Amazon with 15% chicory or less .

You can do this to start and then get better machines and coffee powder as you develop your drinking habits
"My philips" is the name of machine?

Don't recall if it was classic or not but did use Nescafe ₹10 pouch. It was very soft in taste for me, more for my dad. Ever since, we use BRu since we prefer stronger in taste , darker in colour.

Any specific reason?

Something along the lines of for every ten cups you drink, one of them is insect poop.

It's best to get your own beans and grind them for a simple coffee:

That said, Nescafe Gold is absurdly aromatic.

Also fair warning: coffee is a rabbit hole.

"My philips" is the name of machine?
Lol no... I meant get a cheap machine like philips which I had bought many years ago off Flipkart still going strong and good enough for a casual but regular coffee drinker.
Any specific reason? My drinking choice is similar to what OP has mentioned except I use Bru, so curious. Not a habitual drinker, occasionally when it gets a bit cold or when cold whether sets in.

No real reason, just that OP already drinks instant black coffee as I understood the post so recommended to try start off with a basic coffee machine and cheap powder off amazon...

Btw I drink coffee powder with around 15 percent chicory with milk and sugar to get pretty damn good south indian filter coffee aroma and flavor.

Tried a lot of different brands and websites like blue tokai and devans single estate and blend but finally to my taste settled on cheap 100 bucks per 250gms brand like RiseUp and currently Jayanthi Gold from Amazon.

Dodged falling down into that coffee drinker rabbit hole lol

Last edited:
Lol no... I meant get a cheap machine like philips which I had bought many years ago off Flipkart still going strong and good enough for a casual but regular coffee drinker.

No real reason, just that OP already drinks instant black coffee as I understood the post so recommended to try start off with a basic coffee machine and cheap powder off amazon...

Btw I drink coffee powder with around 15 percent chicory with milk and sugar to get pretty damn good south indian filter coffee aroma and flavor.

Tried a lot of different brands and websites like blue tokai and devans single estate and blend but finally to my taste settled on cheap 100 bucks per 250gms brand like RiseUp and currently Jayanthi Gold from Amazon.

Dodged falling down into that coffee drinker rabbit hole lol
Oh. Yeah I can be a bit thick headed like that some times. I was thinking of getting a cheap french press like this https://www.amazon.in/InstaCuppa-Fr...qid=1638943503&sprefix=french+,aps,269&sr=8-3.

I asked around a little and people say that generally instant coffee isn't very good. So thought of asking the good people of techenclave about other coffee types.

I will try your recommendations though. I like the bitter taste of nescafe classic, but not the nescafe sunrise. I have tried tata grand too but returned to nescafe classic. Was thinking of getting some alternatives to nescafe. I have also tried the filter kaapi but can't remember much about it.

I am happy you didn't fall in the coffee drinker rabbit holes( but it certainly feels like one of the cheaper food related rabbit holes, lol).

Get a Moka pot instead. Like this one - https://www.amazon.in/Stainless-Esp...r_1_9?keywords=moka+pot&qid=1638945794&sr=8-9
They'll give you a stronger concoction than a French press.
However, nothing beats a 15 bar espresso machine, but those start at Rs.10,000.
Will do!
You can try various coffee types like arabica, robusta, etc and the roasted levels like dark roast medium etc to arrive at the variety of your choice. devans.in website is a reasonable place to explore.
Thanks for the rec! They have got all sorts of roasts.

What equipment do you currently have?

Important things for coffee:
1. Good beans
2. Good grinder
3. A weight machine (or maybe two, one for coffee and another for water. You need to get the coffee/water ratio right).
4. Kettle to boil water

If you have the above, stop buying equipment. Learn to make coffee using first principles. Heat water -> Once the water is hot, grind coffee -> Mix water and ground coffee -> wait for a few minutes -> strain -> Drink.

Beginner's mistakes to avoid.
1. Do not buy coffee powder.
2. Do not cheap out on a grinder.
3. Do not buy a French press (waste of money, instead infuse in a china cup or carafe and use a strainer).

What equipment do you currently have?

Important things for coffee:
1. Good beans
2. Good grinder
3. A weight machine (or maybe two, one for coffee and another for water. You need to get the coffee/water ratio right).
4. Kettle to boil water

If you have the above, stop buying equipment. Learn to make coffee using first principles. Heat water -> Once the water is hot, grind coffee -> Mix water and ground coffee -> wait for a few minutes -> strain -> Drink.

Beginner's mistakes to avoid.
1. Do not buy coffee powder.
2. Do not cheap out on a grinder.
2 Do not buy a French press (waste of money, instead infuse in a china cup or carafe and use a strainer).
I have got an electric kettle.
No grinder.
No strainer.
No filter paper.

Can get them though. Thanks!

Any specific reason? My drinking choice is similar to what OP has mentioned except I use Bru, so curious. Not a habitual drinker, occasionally when it gets a bit cold or when cold whether sets in.
There is nothing wrong with instant coffee and its perfectly fine for a occasional coffee drinker.
However a proper espresso shot is orders more flavourful than what you get from instant coffee.

The only catch is that you will need at least a 15 bar pump machine to get a decent shot .
For someone who wants/needs 2-3 cups or more a day, it makes a lot of sense but not so much for your scenario

Ah yes. I have got one lol.

So let it drip a little bit in beginning and then start collecting?
Not really. Let the coffee and water sit in a cup or a carafe for 4-6 minutes. Then strain like you would strain tea.

I use an old broken cup (a 300 cup whose handle broke) for infusion :) Once the time is up, pour everything through a strainer into another cup and drink it.
So let it drip a little bit in beginning and then start collecting?
You are prob thinking of pourover? Learn the basics of brewing before trying out specialized equipment/technique.

Back