Budget 0-20k Recommendations on a graphics card for 1440p gaming?

jilwei

Recruit
Hello everyone!
It's been a while since I've posted something here and I was wondering what would be a good GPU to upgrade from my 1050ti. I've been thinking of getting the 1660 SUPER online for Valorant, CS:GO at 144-170 FPS while single player games like Hitman and Assassin's Creed on 60 FPS will be fine.
I plan on getting a 170hz 1440p IPS monitor from GIGABYTE and run the games in medium to high settings in either 1440p or 1080p, I'll also be streaming sometimes.
My current specs are R5 2400G, 1050ti, 2x8gb 2666mhz, a320m-k mobo. Hopefully I can be able to upgrade my CPU soon, Thanks in advance!

Dunno if you'll get 60fps 1440p on aaa titles with a 1660 super. The rx 6600 is a better choice for not that much more cost. Asus dual rx 6600 is selling under 50k while you'd be hard pressed to find a 1660 super new under 40k

The 1660 Super is just on the edge of being sufficient for your requirements.
It's more than qualified for competitive games providing high FPS @1440p.
For AAA games - it's fine for casual gaming.
The issue you'll run into is while streaming.
The older cards aren't as good at video encoding compared to current gen cards. So, you'll have to compromise on resolution & performance while streaming.

Since currently the 1660Super is about the same price as the 3060 and rx6600 - I'd suggest going for those cards instead (unless you're getting a killer deal on the 1660)
You mentioned planning to upgrade your CPU... I'd recommend also accounting for upgrading the RAM & mobo too. For Ryzen 3000 series onwards, 3200 MHz RAM is pretty much a MUST.

s the title says, I'm looking to upgrade from my 1080p setup to 1440p. I play mostly RPGs but I do play some online shooters, so I'd ideally like to be able for the GPU to support 60fps at a minimum. I don't need anything cracy like 200+ hz for a monitor but somewhere around 165hz would be nice if possible. I currently have a GTX 1660 Super, which I bought as a placeholder GPU until I could find a better one in stock.

Understanding that currently finding a GPU is difficult, (this is more for future planning) what is the minimum GTX or equivalent GPU I should be looking for to support 60fps-165fps gaming at 1440p? Thanks!

IMO RTX 3060Ti is min for a good 1440p exp, but depends on what you play & your expectations.

3060Ti were going for under 70k in the market. 3070 is like 80k. 1 seller in SP Road, Super computer, was offering Colorful Battleaxe 3070 for like 73k.

With Introduction of new Upscaling techniques like FSR / NIS or DLSS as well as upcoming XeSS... 1440P can easily be achieved by a 1660 Super...Although it will be limited to FSR / NIS...
You can also use LosslessScaling.. a Software on STEAM.. allowing to implement FSR in any game..

However.. with Upcoming Games.. You need to upgrade..
Now.. 60 FPS on 1440P is possible with even a RTX 3060 ... But 165ish FPS...@ 1440P... that's the category of at least a 3080TI...
As you play RPGs like Geralt_of_Rivia.. hmmm....:angelic: ..

You should wait for upcoming Intel Alchemist or 4000 Series... or Whatever that these RGB Companies will launch..... as You want to wait.

s the title says, I'm looking to upgrade from my 1080p setup to 1440p. I play mostly RPGs but I do play some online shooters, so I'd ideally like to be able for the GPU to support 60fps at a minimum. I don't need anything cracy like 200+ hz for a monitor but somewhere around 165hz would be nice if possible. I currently have a GTX 1660 Super, which I bought as a placeholder GPU until I could find a better one in stock.

Understanding that currently finding a GPU is difficult, (this is more for future planning) what is the minimum GTX or equivalent GPU I should be looking for to support 60fps-165fps gaming at 1440p? Thanks!
2 options.
1st get a 3070 for a stable gaming experience and it will cost you in between 70k to 85k based on model.
2nd wait for intel counter part of gpu's and get them as they will be cheaper for their first initial launch in market. performance is max upto 3070ti or so.
3060ti is 10k less but I would suggest to get a 3070 itself.

I game on 144hz monitor and even my 6800xt at ultra settings finds it hard to pass 144hz based on title been played.

I personally feel, 70-80fps is the sweet spot for most RPG & SP games. The 1% low will be closer to 60fps & you won't observe a stutter, at least I don't. I feel 144fps is required only for fast-paced MP games, but more fps is always merrier for any game.

So many thing will come down to OP's preference & the budget for GPU. As mentioned earlier, FSR/DLSS are good tech & definitely helps at 1440p target resolution. At 1080p target resolution, I feel lower resolutions just don't have enough info for good upscaling. If a game runs well on GTX 1660 at 1080p, if it has FSR, it will run well at 1440p with FSR ultra quality mode with a bit better image quality over native 1080p rendering.

With Introduction of new Upscaling techniques like FSR / NIS or DLSS as well as upcoming XeSS... 1440P can easily be achieved by a 1660 Super...Although it will be limited to FSR / NIS...
You can also use LosslessScaling.. a Software on STEAM.. allowing to implement FSR in any game..

However.. with Upcoming Games.. You need to upgrade..
Now.. 60 FPS on 1440P is possible with even a RTX 3060 ... But 165ish FPS...@ 1440P... that's the category of at least a 3080TI...
As you play RPGs like Geralt_of_Rivia.. hmmm....:angelic: ..

You should wait for upcoming Intel Alchemist or 4000 Series... or Whatever that these RGB Companies will launch..... as You want to wait.
You are both overblowing and under blowing things at the same time.
OP, I have a 3070 paired with a 1440p monitor and it's optimum for gaming at this resolution even without FSR/DLS. I think this is what you should aim for when you eventually get down to building your rig.

You are both overblowing and under blowing things at the same time.
OP, I have a 3070 paired with a 1440p monitor and it's optimum for gaming at this resolution even without FSR/DLS. I think this is what you should aim for when you eventually get down to building your rig.
3070 is what I suggested :angelic:

You are both overblowing and under blowing things at the same time
Hmm.. Technology moves much faster now a days....
Please look at Digital Foundry Analysis of Dying Light 2...
Even a 3090 is capable of just around 40 to 52 FPS at 4K...at ULTRA RT Preset..
3070 is Good.. but within a year.. it would come down to 1080P series... as happened with 2060 or even GTX 1660...
DLSS is truly a Game changer if you wanna Keep those Frames in check...:)

Keep your 1660 Super. Nvidia 4xxx series will come later this year. Given how pathetic the prices are for gpus right now and that next gen graphics is coming in few months time, there is no point right now in buying one.

Keep your 1660 Super. Nvidia 4xxx series will come later this year. Given how pathetic the prices are for gpus right now and that next gen graphics is coming in few months time, there is no point right now in buying one.
4000 will be expensive, at least 20% to 30% as per insiders. but intel on the other hand will most likely sell if on loss for entry so Intel is the only option I can see if about to wait.

Hmm.. Technology moves much faster now a days....
Please look at Digital Foundry Analysis of Dying Light 2...
Even a 3090 is capable of just around 40 to 52 FPS at 4K...at ULTRA RT Preset..
3070 is Good.. but within a year.. it would come down to 1080P series... as happened with 2060 or even GTX 1660...
DLSS is truly a Game changer if you wanna Keep those Frames in check...:)
Ultra Preset is a gimmick though which hampers performance with little to no improvement in visual quality (findings by Digital Foundry) and beyond that their is also the issue of optimization. Dying Light could just be badly optimized (I guess)

What makes you think the 4000 series will be priced better?

What makes you think the 4000 series will be priced better?
Even if 4xxx series is overpriced, pricing of 3xxx will be better. Offline prices are looking better now compared to a month ago. Intel is bringing their GPUs in 2H as well. Things will be better for sure.

Even if 4xxx series is overpriced, pricing of 3xxx will be better. Offline prices are looking better now compared to a month ago. Intel is bringing their GPUs in 2H as well. Things will be better for sure.
There could happen that a new generation of GPUs will coincide with a new peak in crypto.

I think the experience of the past couple of years has taught to get whatever you are getting and being on the lookout to upgrade. If the op is getting a 3000 series right now. He should and then look to upgrade if 4000 series is easily available next year.

I think both AMD and Nvidia has capitalized on the High Demands and will price their new lineup higher.

Since the general demand for GPU is high, i dont think its gonna decrease anytime soon

prices are better but still way overpriced for lhr cards. I remember getting quote for ₹1,07,000 for RTX 3080 LHR from galax and its still not to that part. 3070ti is selling for ₹1,19,000 top models. that's is still overpriced and the cards wont go back to jan, 2021 where MSI 3080 HHR Suprim X was offered for 85k to 86k. 4000 series will come and top end 3xxx series cards will die. mostly max is 3060 which will live on with 3050 and 2060 :p

Back